Autopsy AFLW Round 6, 2020: St.Kilda v Richmond

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Tigers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I caught the last quarter on tv. I admit i don't watch much AFLW but I must admit the saints are a really well organised unit.

Credit to Peta and the coaching team as well as the girls. They've done well for a first year outfit who apparently lack the big names of other teams

I caught the last quarter on tv. I admit i don't watch much AFLW but I must admit the saints are a really well organised unit.

Credit to Peta and the coaching team as well as the girls. They've done well for a first year outfit who apparently lack the big names of other teams
Not being able to attract a big name star could actually end up working in our favour.

Give it another year, and players like Greiser and Patrikios will be playing at a higher standard than the "stars" Richmond has paid big for ever have.

Conference B seems stronger than A. The head to head between the two 7-2 in favour of B.
I'd even say that the top four teams could all be from B.
Unlucky for us. They swapped the conferences us and Richmond were in at the last minute before the conferences were released to try and even them up.

Unlucky for us. They swapped the conferences us and Richmond were in at the last minute before the conferences were released to try and even them up.

Really? Well they got that wrong. And they should swapped one of the top 4 from B too. It seems quite obvious they wanted the rivalries in the same groups... GWS + Lions + Suns, Freo + WC, Dogs + Dees, Pies + Blues. Didn't get the balance right though.

Perfect example today of 2 starkly different ways of building expansion teams.

One team more focused on there brand and who they can put in television commercials. Bringing in supposed superstars of AFLW

One built on brining in solid AFLW players that can be easily incorporated into a team.

Richmond are like a fish out of water. Poor gameplan too much falls onto one player for them Conti. If she was playing any other team I would of felt bad for her because she was the best player on the ground today.

Where as we are well coached well drilled and very even across the whole ground.

Very proud of what the girls have achieved this season and bodes well for the future.

Good thing is, we're only going to get better if we can keep this team. I was listening on radio for a bit and I think the said Dillon was the oldest of our midfield at 23! Patriokas is going to be a genuine superstar, and the gtrain already is. Loving the vibe of the girls and the check knock knock

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vesely gun.
Fitzpatrick/Tilly/Priest very good players always reliable just need another gun defender to help.
Greiser star. A G-train + Traub combination would be formidable. Let the likes of Xenos/Patrikios/Guttridge crumb.
Poppy K is going to be amazing.
#4 looked very good.
Rhi Watt (She’s everything St Kilda) held Frederick goalless. Rendition of the song was brilliant. It should be sung that way always!

Really? Well they got that wrong. And they should swapped one of the top 4 from B too. It seems quite obvious they wanted the rivalries in the same groups... GWS + Lions + Suns, Freo + WC, Dogs + Dees, Pies + Blues. Didn't get the balance right though.
They did the existing teams based off ladder positions from last year. Then with the new clubs had one victorian and one interstate in each (i.e whichever conference the other team in their state was in).

Us and Richmond were really the only teams they had a choice with.

Perfect example today of 2 starkly different ways of building expansion teams.

One team more focused on there brand and who they can put in television commercials. Bringing in supposed superstars of AFLW

One built on brining in solid AFLW players that can be easily incorporated into a team.

Richmond are like a fish out of water. Poor gameplan too much falls onto one player for them Conti. If she was playing any other team I would of felt bad for her because she was the best player on the ground today.

Where as we are well coached well drilled and very even across the whole ground.

Very proud of what the girls have achieved this season and bodes well for the future.
Credit to Searle and the team. You can see they really invested in the VFLW team and tried to build it up from there. Through that they have been able to unearth Vesely, G-Train and Kelly to name a few.

We also got amazing lucky that Patrikios slipped to the third Vic pick. She looks like she will be a star. Searle said she would have taken her with pick 1 and you could tell she really meant it.

Last edited:
Great to see the girls have a terrific win. I'm really glad i became a member of the Women's team. Really added something to the club. Some super players, and they all try their socks off. G Train a wonderful sportswoman and I really enjoy seeing Georgia Patrikios play. Already a star. Great mover, vision and kicks with either foot very well. And congrats to Peta Searle and where she has got them to. Her appointment all those years ago wasn't met with universal approval. But proving to be very good.

IF

R7: Fremantle beat Melbourne
R7: St.Kilda beat Collingwood
R8: Geelong beat Collingwood
R8: Gold Coast beat Melbourne
R8: St.Kilda beat West Coast

THEN

We are in the finals :moustache:

Whitfort was huge and responded well to being dropped.

Watt has been unbelievable all season dropping back into defence.

Not much has been said about Priest, who I think has probably been one of the most consistent player all season. Super reliable.

I really hope some of the interstate girls stick around for a bit and play in the VFLW after the season, 8 weeks isn't enough.

A fantastic effort today. Doing the RW&B proud ... you can see the strength growing with every outing.

Great win girls. Really impressed with Whitford today. Poppy looks more like a footballer each week. Rucking well, getting ground ball, and using the ball well too. Really excited for her, as it seems she missed the application deadline but was given a chance anyway.
Fitzpatrick so solid back there. Sedunary provides important grunt, and great to see Xenos pick up a much deserved goal.

I don't know how we've managed to assemble such a reliable list from scratch, all so young too. Add another four and I reckon we're right. The season should be 13 matches, single "conference" next year. It's like just getting started then it's over with 8. Or... what if they split into two comps a year, summer and spring? It's way too long between seasons currently, not enough games, fitness, probably doesn't help with injuries I would think.

Ive watched all their games on telly this season and have enjoyed it.
Was a bit bummed out for the team and club when they said the crowd would be locked out now for the immediate future cos the girls were getting a good solid crowd each home game.
And the fun family atmosphere at the games was really obvious watching the coverage on TV. So well done to our club.
But I gotta admit strangely enough I still enjoyed watching it yesterday even though the ground was empty.
So although I'd miss going to the AFL footy I'd still be happy for the men's team to play in empty stadiums and watch it on TV rather than postpone the season.
But my gut feel tells me we are gonna get 1 or 2 rounds with no crowd and then it will be postponed .
With the AFLW probably being postponed just as their finals start which would be pretty crap.
But obviously there is a bigger picture at hand so whatever happens has to be accepted

Back