Autopsy AFLW Round 8, 2022 (S7): Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Who Wins?

• Bulldogs

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL really need to tighten up the out of the cap deals going on now the wages have risen but I'd guess that would get a to of backlash from the players association.
I don't know how well the league can stop the unofficial stuff. If Puma want to sponsor Mon Conti and Puma would rather Mon Conti played for Richmond and Richmond would definitely rather Mon Conti played for Richmond and Puma just happen to be a sponsor of the Richmond football club, then I think Mon Conti is going to end up at Richmond. Outside sponsorships, maybe they can tell the clubs not to directly employ players themselves off-field, but even that's questionable, especially for a semi-pro league.

In terms of the official stuff, they might be able to push everything through the tiered salaries. I'm just not sure that makes much of a difference. I'm also not sure anyone at the league cares. The main vibe I get out of AFL House regarding the women's comp is 'Mission Accomplished' - particularly now that there's 18 teams. I fully expect them to push for ten games again in the upcoming CBA negotiations. Other people want to see growth for the future - I think they're done. This is the comp they want, and they're going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming toward any kind of progress.

That looked even worse when Geelong ended up with Prepakis and Rowbottom went to the Gold Coast. I like Ella Friend just fine, but she's clearly not anywhere near the level of those other two.

Truthfully, though, I'm not sure the priority picks had much of a factor in Geelong rising up the ladder. Friswell is playing, but I don't think she's a huge difference-maker. The biggest differences between the two clubs right now are the Cats landing Prespakis (and keeping her) and getting Morrison back healthy versus the Saints not getting Rowbottom, Smith still being out and Patrikios having some time off to consider the moon landing.
I guess that’s right. Though that almost hurts more that the super unfair part wasn’t even the thing that’s lifted them above us. It’s just their luck and management. It’s more of an indictment on us if it’s as you say that the priority pick discrepancy wasn’t a large contributor to our differing paths.

I guess that’s right. Though that almost hurts more that the super unfair part wasn’t even the thing that’s lifted them above us. It’s just their luck and management. It’s more of an indictment on us if it’s as you say that the priority pick discrepancy wasn’t a large contributor to our differing paths.
What's really annoying is the club has been effectively punished for getting a couple of unexpected wins against ordinary competition each year. The league fixes a draw that makes things look more even than they are and then seems to fall for their own trickery.

Back