Autopsy AFLW Round 9, 2022: St.Kilda v Geelong

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of class about her, the Jack Steele of the girls.
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

If you mean working class, yes.
Dals definitely getting the best out of her lately.

Good news that we got the win but stay below Geelong on percentage to get in before them in the draft.

Also 1 game and about 10% above West Coast so looking likely to avoid the spoon too.

Yeah I think we'll assume the Crows will get us. The Kangas will probably beat West Coast. That just leaves Geelong, who would have to lose by at least 190 points to beat us to the better draft pick. Let's hope the AFL still comes through with a priority pick for us.

Good stat: Tilly Lucas-Rodd becomes the third player in AFLW history to record 10+ contested possessions, 10+ clearances and 10+ tackles...
2x Ebony Marinoff
1x Kiara Bowers
1x Tilly Lucas-Rodd

That's elite company.

Carlton's "rejects" are serving us well.
TLR is becoming a total jet, as is Jakobbson who had the most spoils in an AFLW game - she really should be AllAustralian or whatever the equivalent is. Nat Exon is also hard as nails, excellent effort to spoil 3 cats late.

Skills are definitely picking up under Dal, looked alot more impressive live than they do on TV.

Next step over the offseason is to unlock our scoring, it's been good experience for the defense to defend 2 goals a game but we need to give them a break now and go for 5-6+ reliably, we have the talent up forward to do better.

All in all was a good park the bus win, was hoping we'd go for the throat early in Q4, but I'll take the W.

Carlton's "rejects" are serving us well.
TLR is becoming a total jet, as is Jakobbson who had the most spoils in an AFLW game - she really should be AllAustralian or whatever the equivalent is. Nat Exon is also hard as nails, excellent effort to spoil 3 cats late.

Skills are definitely picking up under Dal, looked alot more impressive live than they do on TV.

Next step over the offseason is to unlock our scoring, it's been good experience for the defense to defend 2 goals a game but we need to give them a break now and go for 5-6+ reliably, we have the talent up forward to do better.

All in all was a good park the bus win, was hoping we'd go for the throat early in Q4, but I'll take the W.

Yeah Exon trying to do a Nick Riewoldt kamikaze mark was something else at a huge point in the match. The defence was awesome, I lost count of Geelong's repeat inside 50s, but we didn't concede a single point in those last 7 minutes. I'm sure Dal is now teaching how to get out of that and hold the ball down the other end.

And the skills will always be slightly held back because of the design of the actual footballs! The womens footballs are smaller and lighter. They physically cannot travel further nor straighter. A slight breeze and those balls are off target with ease. Really annoying the slack the women get when a lot of issues start before they've even kicked it.

It's also just one reason why I think moving to a winter season would be a disaster. The wind and rain, smaller and lighter footballs, it would be a mess... unless they can play under a roof. I'm still for a Spring to Autumn season, with only night games during Summer (play every night if needed). Another reason winter would fail is the attention. As already shown in previous years, once the men start, the women don't exist. Everything commercial goes into the mens. If they just want to play no matter what, ok. If they want to grow, don't play in winter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Exon trying to do a Nick Riewoldt kamikaze mark was something else at a huge point in the match. The defence was awesome, I lost count of Geelong's repeat inside 50s, but we didn't concede a single point in those last 7 minutes. I'm sure Dal is now teaching how to get out of that and hold the ball down the other end.

And the skills will always be slightly held back because of the design of the actual footballs! The womens footballs are smaller and lighter. They physically cannot travel further nor straighter. A slight breeze and those balls are off target with ease. Really annoying the slack the women get when a lot of issues start before they've even kicked it.

It's also just one reason why I think moving to a winter season would be a disaster. The wind and rain, smaller and lighter footballs, it would be a mess... unless they can play under a roof. I'm still for a Spring to Autumn season, with only night games during Summer (play every night if needed). Another reason winter would fail is the attention. As already shown in previous years, once the men start, the women don't exist. Everything commercial goes into the mens. If they just want to play no matter what, ok. If they want to grow, don't play in winter.
a silly question but, wouldn't it be better if the grounds were made smaller for the women?

a silly question but, wouldn't it be better if the grounds were made smaller for the women?

Back