Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide at home
GWS at home
Richmond in Vic
Collingwood in Vic
North in Tas
Carlton at home
Geelong in Vic
West Coast at home off a six day break compared to their week off after playing at home
Melbourne at home

5 games in WA, 3 games on the road in a row which might be better than the in and out disruption and the team bonds together on tour.

Crows 30-70
GWS 90-10
Tigers 50-50
Pies 25-75
North 20-80
Blues 60-40
Cats 90-10
Eagles 60-40
Dees 10-90

I've got us losing more than we win this year if we stagnate

The teams I can see improving are Pies, Tigers, North, WCE and Dees

GWS and Cats should be the easy beats

Blues should probably go backwards

Crows likely to stagnate

If we go backwards then our results get worse, if we stagnate then its rough, if we show improvement then we can pip some of these other teams

WCE should surprise us at the end of the year, would have preferred them early on

Crows 30-70
GWS 90-10
Tigers 50-50
Pies 25-75
North 20-80
Blues 60-40
Cats 90-10
Eagles 60-40
Dees 10-90

I've got us losing more than we win this year if we stagnate

The teams I can see improving are Pies, Tigers, North, WCE and Dees

GWS and Cats should be the easy beats

Blues should probably go backwards

Crows likely to stagnate

If we go backwards then our results get worse, if we stagnate then its rough, if we show improvement then we can pip some of these other teams

WCE should surprise us at the end of the year, would have preferred them early on

The comp is still in a state of flux and there'll be surprise packets aplenty and mystery performances. I'd almost guarantee we'll improve (not gonna mention any names cause the footy gods be listening, but especially if one particular player stays fit), it's just a matter of how much and how that compares to other teams improvement.

The comp is still in a state of flux and there'll be surprise packets aplenty and mystery performances. I'd almost guarantee we'll improve (not gonna mention any names cause the footy gods be listening, but especially if one particular player stays fit), it's just a matter of how much and how that compares to other teams improvement.
My worry is that we stagnated last year and watched teams go past us, we cannot afford for that to happen again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was down at Freo Oval this morning for the smoking ceremony, and thus got to see the gals close up.

Have regularly said that some players in the women’s games, need to get their body in better shape. I feel that some teams have players rolling around carrying an extra tyre or two. I can assure you that this morning I had a good look to check the physics of the players, and there ain’t a spare tyre to be seen anywhere, very lean & mean.

Another thing that amazed me, was the gals didn’t look big. By that, I mean when you meet the boys, even the midfielders look massive (height & muscle). As said above, they are very lean.

Had a chat to Keira Bowers, and was very impressed with her down to earth, I’ll chat to anyone attitude. She is the powerhouse of the team, but looks tiny. Lovely to chat to, and I laughed when she said that a Melbourne player looked at her and commented on how small she was, ........ fast forward 30 seconds, Melbourne player plucks grass from between teeth.

Another thing that amazed me, was the gals didn’t look big. By that, I mean when you meet the boys, even the midfielders look massive (height & muscle). As said above, they are very lean.

Can confirm. Ran into a whole bunch of them at the grand final and it took me a second to actually realise that it was them because I did not expect them to be that small

Was down at Freo Oval this morning for the smoking ceremony, and thus got to see the gals close up.

Have regularly said that some players in the women’s games, need to get their body in better shape. I feel that some teams have players rolling around carrying an extra tyre or two. I can assure you that this morning I had a good look to check the physics of the players, and there ain’t a spare tyre to be seen anywhere, very lean & mean.

Had a chat to Keira Bowers, and was very impressed with her down to earth, I’ll chat to anyone attitude. She is the powerhouse of the team, but looks tiny. Lovely to chat to, and I laughed when she said that a Melbourne player looked at her and commented on how small she was, ........ fast forward 30 seconds, Melbourne player plucks grass from between teeth.
Did they have an intra club game later in the morning?

can't wait for the season to start.
love our Freo girls.
huge fane of the AFLW, but especially Freo!
big prediction: Jas Stewart to become a top 3 player in our 1st premiership.
but i do love Tiah Haynes the most :)

Steph Cain, Gemma Houghton, Janelle Cuthbertson impress as Fremantle Dockers stage AFLW pre-season intra-club
renderTimingPixel.png

When there’s smoke, there’s fire - and the Dockers certainly lit up Fremantle Oval with a lively intraclub match after conducting their annual smoking ceremony on Saturday morning.

With the AFLW’s round one a little over a month away, Fremantle staff, players and the Dockers community took part in the ancient Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples custom, acknowledging ancestors and bringing blessings upon Fremantle’s home ground and people.

“I know we’re all excited for this season and there’s something really special building at this club,” key forward Gemma Houghton said.
Once the ceremony was complete, Fremantle then turned their focus to the training session ahead and put their pre-season to the test across 10-minute quarters.

Fielding two evenly-matched sides, the intensity was up early as both teams laid heavy tackles. Newly-installed captain Hayley Miller led from the front in the middle and took any opportunity to burst away from stoppages.

Early on, all eyes were on the wing battle as newcomer Airlie Runnalls did battle with established star Steph Cain. But after finishing runner-up in Fremantle’s best-and-fairest last season, Cain looks set to pick up where she left on.

The powerful winger was easily the pick of the Dockers early, holding her space out wide, hitting targets and involving herself two or three times in possession chains out wide.

Fremantle’s top draft pick Amy Franklin formed a formidable one-two punch combination with spearhead Gemma Houghton up forward.

But it was the established Docker who stole the show.

Houghton kicked three goals, made a brief cameo in the midfield and looks to have reached the same level of fitness as last season, taking the opportunity to take some running bounces.

Franklin did show her football smarts late, reading the bounce of the ball perfectly in the goal square to collect and snap when opposed to All-Australian Janelle Cuthbertson.

But it was a rare defensive lapse for Cuthbertson. The steely defender was unpassable down back, taking several strong intercept marks and winning crucial contests.

Makaela Tuhakaraina returned to her home deck for the first time as a Docker, the South Fremantle product reeling in a one-handed mark and using her speed, pressure and presence to put defenders on edge up forward.

While Kara Antonio looks extremely comfortable up forward after making the positional switch early last season, leading strongly and hitting targets inside 50.
Uncapped Irishwoman Aine Tighe justified the pre-season hype that has reached fever pitch after two injury-interrupted seasons, snapping a goal across her body and impressing with her speed across the ground.

While Ebony Antonio could be set for a return to half-back where she was named All-Australian in 2018.

With Philipa Seth firming for a midfield shift, Antonio spent some time in defence but pushed hard forward, bursting through packs and winning the ball up the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back