Women's Footy AFLW Season 2022 - [C(Aine) feel that it's (Tighe)me?]

Remove this Banner Ad

Miller has been a huge letdown IMO

We get slaughtered in the centre apart from Bowers

Eps is a leader on the field, clear captain material, heart and soul type player

Bowers is older than KAntonio but a leader too, Kantonio is stepping down not due to age but due to the fact she is barely best 22, she has been pushed to the forward line, Bowers is the best player in the comp

If Miller does take up the captaincy then hopefully she lives up to her original potential but as it stand right now, in the midfield its Bowers >>>>>>> anyone else
Bowers is undoubtedly our best midfielder by a mile. Doesn’t change the fact Miller is our second best midfielder.

Bowers might get the captaincy and it would be a great choice if she does. But I doubt the club would release all the details of Kara’s speech, or even allowed her to say it - because let’s face it it would have had to pass the coaching staff and media manager before she said it - saying it’s time for the younger leaders to step up if they hadn’t decided it was actually time for the younger leaders to step up post Kara. And that’s regardless of whether you think she’s best 21 or not.

I think you’re mixing a few different points here. My thoughts on your points:
1. Bowers is clearly our best mid - agree
2. Miller has been underwhelming and hasn’t lived up to potential -disagree
3. Ebony is a heart and soul player with good leadership qualities - agree
4. She’s good enough as a leader to be the actual captain - disagree
5. Bowers would be a good choice as captain - agree
6. Antonio only stepped down because she’s barely best 21 - disagree

Given Antonio’s comments, the fact Miller is in the right age range, she’s in the leadership group, she’s our second best mid behind possibly the best mid in the competition, she’s a WAFLW premiership captain - I think she’d make a fine captain of the footy club.

Miller is also intensely loyal. She grew up a WCE supporter and had the opportunity to move across, which most people assumed she would, but she came out and said she loves the footy club, and despite what people were saying, she didn’t ever think about swapping clubs.

Oh and just as an aside - have a look at which of the girls they’re using on the promos for 2022. ‘The future’.

Wouldn’t, however, be too surprised if it’s Bowers, or maybe even O’Sullivan.

Miller may be our second best midfielder however she has never hit the heights that were promised early on

Also she is the second best midfielder in one of the worst midfields, apart from the expansion teams ours is probably the worst midfield.

It's a massive weakness compared to our forward line and defensive half.

It'll be interesting to see who they go with but my first choice wouldn't be Miller, hope she proves me wrong.

Miller may be our second best midfielder however she has never hit the heights that were promised early on

Also she is the second best midfielder in one of the worst midfields, apart from the expansion teams ours is probably the worst midfield.
Okay, so what I'm getting from this is that the expansion clubs shouldn't have captains because none of their players come close to being as good as Bowers...?

Okay, so what I'm getting from this is that the expansion clubs shouldn't have captains because none of their players come close to being as good as Bowers...?
Other clubs have different leaders in different areas of the ground

They also recruited marquee players for the role of captain

We aren't an expansion club, we are promoting from within

I don't think Miller has done enough to be promoted

The stories the kids come home with from this legend. :hearteyes:

How does Fremantle’s attacking half line up?
The Dockers have some gaps to fill next season, particularly up forward, as they strive to improve on their qualifying final exit of 2021.
While both Sabreena Duffy (30 career goals) and Ashley Sharp (25) sit out the season due to work and pregnancy respectively, just Gemma Houghton (31) remains of the club’s three most prolific goal kickers. This leaves questions over how their attacking half will structure up. Where will their goals come from?

Houghton will surely remain the key focal point of Fremantle’s attack, with Irish tall Aine Tighe finally on track to make her debut after her first two seasons were ruined by injury. The temptation to play Roxy Roux higher up the field will be too great to ignore, but we’ll almost certainly still see her crashing packs inside 50 from time to time. Kara Antonio’s steadying influence up forward this year was a positive, so we may see her continue in that role, while the pressure applied by Gabby O’Sullivan and Sarah Verrier was an important aspect of how the side operated once inside 50.
Late in the season, they experimented by throwing Emma O’Driscoll forward, and moving other magnets around. And Ebony Antonio’s versatility means we’re yet to know how she will be used, although she too is a proven goal kicker. Not to mention, a number of draftees who have the potential to come in and have an impact in one way or another.
The Dockers’ list is a puzzle that can be put together in a number of ways, but finding the most efficient and effective combination will be key in covering their losses up forward.

For what it's worth I'm not sure how Amy Franklin and Mikayla Morrison both dodged mentions in that article.
Baffling really, those 2 are the Duffy and Sharp replacements for round 1, not entirely like for like but they should come in

Then ofc if Tighe can have some luck she will be in too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To all those Freo supporters who love watching the girls play you should take some time to come down to training . Ive had the pleasure of watching these girls develop into absolute stars . Ive been a fan of the girls from day one and have admired the effort they have put into their sport and the pride they have in being team mates , footy players.
Pulling on a Freo jumper means everything to these girls and their determination to train , learn and play their best is palatable. Its a shame so few come and watch. There are 3 regular guys that come and watch . 2 young men come 1 with his carer and they are there from start to finish every session .
Im the other one that comes when I can . The quality of the girls football skills have improved dramatically over time to the point that this girls are now very skilful in all facets of the game . They would love to see more supporters and yes they come and interact with fans at the end of each session .They train Tuesdays and zthursday afternoons from 5.30pm till 7.30 pm . Bring a jumper as it can get a little cold when the sea breeze is blowing

Derby
At Optus :whitecheck:
Under lights :whitecheck:
For indigenous round? Would have liked to have kept them separate, 2x blockbuster rounds.

Fixture is in.

Five home games (Adelaide, GWS, Carlton & Melbourne at Freo Oval, WC at Optus)
Two games in Melbourne (Richmond & Collingwood)
One game in Hobart (North)
One game in Geevegas (Geelong)

That seems a pretty good fixture for us.

edit - although I reserve the right to change my opinion when Rd 10 inevitably ends up with us travelling to QLD to play Brisbane. They are the only top 7 team not currently in our fixture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back