Women's Footy AFLW Season 2022 - [C(Aine) feel that it's (Tighe)me?]

Remove this Banner Ad

Random conspiracy thought.
And I like our vic girls, so this is in no way a mark against them.
But I wonder if recruiting a couple from the east coast, with expansion clubs coming in this year, was a slight gamble at getting a pick ahead of west coast when they get traded back?
🤔🤔
Ella Insurance if you will
Like a trade back to the East with a swap of firsts so we can finish above West Coast but as long as West Coast finishes above the team traded to then we get who we want, they get two picks in a row.

Like a trade back to the East with a swap of firsts so we can finish above West Coast but as long as West Coast finishes above the team traded to then we get who we want, they get two picks in a row.
Exactly

But I wonder if recruiting a couple from the east coast, with expansion clubs coming in this year, was a slight gamble at getting a pick ahead of west coast when they get traded back?
🤔🤔

Excuse my ignorance but apart from Runnels who in the Freo squad of 30, and in particular the Round 1 team, is from Victoria ?

The only way we draft someone from interstate is if they nominate for the WA draft and I'm assuming players would only do that if they planned on relocating here anyway, likely got a job here? In that case probably wouldn't be looking to head back east for a while anyway

K.Antonio is the only other player from Victoria. Regardless, if a player moves to one of the new clubs, it would be done as a free agent expansion signing, i.e. no trade involved.

Based on the above I can’t see too many scenarios where Fremantle finishes higher on the ladder and wangles an earlier first 2022 draft pick than the Eagles, barring trading out a young player in the Dockers best half dozen players either to the Eagles or an eager interstate club.

It becomes slightly easier if the two teams finish very close on the ladder but the obvious way to earn the first WA pick is to out-tank the Eagles.

🤔🤔
Got an idea, pretty sure the AFL will block it.

GWS finish below the Eagles.

We trade our first round pick and a player for GWS first round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Swans are coming in this year then it is even worse for the Giants, they would likely get alot of priority picks to help monopolise their draft meaning if the Giants trade down their first pick it'll probably drop below more of the Swans higher picks.

Can't see the Giants entertaining a trade

If the Swans are coming in this year then it is even worse for the Giants, they would likely get alot of priority picks to help monopolise their draft meaning if the Giants trade down their first pick it'll probably drop below more of the Swans higher picks.

Can't see the Giants entertaining a trade
Swans have picks 1 and 2 in NSW draft.

If Giants swap pick with us, they still get the 3rd pick in the NSW draft.

If we did a swap pick plus a second round pick or player , they would be still better off.

Swans have picks 1 and 2 in NSW draft.

If Giants swap pick with us, they still get the 3rd pick in the NSW draft.

If we did a swap pick plus a second round pick or player , they would be still better off.
Is that confirmed? what if GWS trade above the swans picks though which they could do with their own picks

EDIT: Also what other picks do Sydney own? they only get 2 in the whole first round? how are they meant to build a team

Is that confirmed? what if GWS trade above the swans picks though which they could do with their own picks

EDIT: Also what other picks do Sydney own? they only get 2 in the whole first round? how are they meant to build a team
Each of the expansion teams get 2 picks before the last team on the ladder.

Each of the expansion teams get 2 picks before the last team on the ladder.

interesting, read the whole thing and seems GWS could upgrade to picks 3 and 4 of the draft (instead of 3 and 5) if we did the deal

I reckon they'll be able to find more value elsewhere though, likely through a player if they can convince them to come

interesting, read the whole thing and seems GWS could upgrade to picks 3 and 4 of the draft (instead of 3 and 5) if we did the deal

I reckon they'll be able to find more value elsewhere though, likely through a player if they can convince them to come
The AFL would block a pick swap.

The talent in NSW is way too thin to support two AFLW teams.

Headquarters would approve a trade if it benefits the Giants.

If we can swap a player or 2 and first round pick for their first round it might go through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back