Women's Footy AFLW Season 2022 - [C(Aine) feel that it's (Tighe)me?]

Remove this Banner Ad

Vs Collingwood

McMahon & Stewart IN for Sargeant & Toth OUT. Cuthberston not ready to return.

Defenders: Sarah Verrier, Ange Stannett, Laura Pugh, Emma O’Driscoll, Jess Low
Midfielders: Ebony Antonio, Kiara Bowers, Steph Cain
Forwards: Airlie Runnalls, Aine Tighe, Kara Antonio, Gemma Houghton, Makaela Tuhakaraina
Followers: Mim Strom, Hayley Miller, Gabby O’Sullivan
Interchange: Roxy Roux, Ann McMahon, Mikayla Hyde, Jasmin Stewart, Dana East
Emergencies: Matilda Sergeant, Bianca Webb

Off topic for Freo but ... How is Courtney Rowley going at WCE?

I remember last draft many thought she was going to be our first pick. Local girl. But we went tall instead - Amy Franklin

Good ins this week

Stewart for Haynes is an upgrade imo Haynes invisible last week

McMahon I'm still not sure on but seargent I never really see get much of the ball

Looks like one of our better teams on paper

Pies look strong though, one of the teams to beat

I know, I know - don’t get wound up by VIC media - but anyone catch the Round 3 review episode of Credit to Girls pod (with Sarah Black).

The put teams into Risers (ladders), Fallers (snakes), ‘ones to beat’ and ‘jury’s out’.

This week Freo are rated as Jury’s out because we haven’t beaten anyone of note. But the Crows, Pies and Demons are the ones to beat.

Just checked the results so far and the Pies have beaten the Cats, Saints and Blues (none of whom made finals last year); the Demons have beaten the Doggies, Tigers and Saints (none of whom made finals last year); the Crows have beaten Eagles, Roos and Lions.

So what have the Pies and Demons done that we have yet to…

…other than be Melbourne clubs??

Barbs, mate, Do Not Enter The Sarah Black Hole. Only hatred and confusion lies there for us Godfearing salt-of-the-earth Freo types. The general lack of regard we are held in in the AFL turns to active contempt and disregard in the AFLW.

It's like Sarah had a nan who wore purple and who used to tell her often that she needed to work on her personality, gave her Pilates equipment for Christmas that she had bought off the telly and always asked if she had a boyfriend - while she readjusted her blouse and pinched her cheeks. "Do you really need to wear those glasses?"

Barbs, mate, Do Not Enter The Sarah Black Hole. Only hatred and confusion lies there for us Godfearing salt-of-the-earth Freo types. The general lack of regard we are held in in the AFL turns to active contempt and disregard in the AFLW.

It's like Sarah had a nan who wore purple and who used to tell her often that she needed to work on her personality, gave her Pilates equipment for Christmas that she had bought off the telly and always asked if she had a boyfriend - while she readjusted her blouse and pinched her cheeks. "Do you really need to wear those glasses?"
I know, I really do know - but I was listening in the car on the way to work this morning and hadn’t allowed myself to have the ‘it’s just Sarah Black’ conversation with myself.

O yeah, it never fails to take you completely by surprise. The cognitive dissonance is new every time.

You could spend half an hour telling yourself, "She's never left inner suburban Melbourne. She is just some stooge from the Women's VFL. Kiara Bowers could singlehandedly lift her favourite Fitzroy vegan coffeehouse out of the way of an out-of-control Tesla, saving it and all its inhabitants, and she would just blink a bit and say 'Never really liked that joint'" - you could fortify yourself beforehand with, oh, I don't know, (a) the freaking ladder (b) hearing that Kiara Bowers only took 25 games to score the perfect 10 ten times (c) knowing Ebony Antonio exists and is going nowhere and (d) the knowledge that our freaking interchange has Dana East, Ann McMahon and Roxy Roux on it and feel so good about yourself and Freo and our future that nothing anybody can say will mean anything, and then Sarah will sneak in and just confuse you with her bland statements of a completely alternative reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know, I know - don’t get wound up by VIC media - but anyone catch the Round 3 review episode of Credit to Girls pod (with Sarah Black).

The put teams into Risers (ladders), Fallers (snakes), ‘ones to beat’ and ‘jury’s out’.

This week Freo are rated as Jury’s out because we haven’t beaten anyone of note. But the Crows, Pies and Demons are the ones to beat.

Just checked the results so far and the Pies have beaten the Cats, Saints and Blues (none of whom made finals last year); the Demons have beaten the Doggies, Tigers and Saints (none of whom made finals last year); the Crows have beaten Eagles, Roos and Lions.

So what have the Pies and Demons done that we have yet to…

…other than be Melbourne clubs??
There is only one thing you need to know ... Sarah Black is a deadset disgrace

other than be Melbourne clubs??
there’s your answer. I’ve said it before, but I’m genuinely convinced the media bias is worse in the AFLW than the men’s competition which is saying something. watching them call games from Melbourne last season knowing nothing of our players was embarrassing, made me miss the days we’d have papalia, pav and a guest do the calling at Freo Oval (i even miss will schofield being that guest and so obviously supporting the other side).

Speaking about Sarah Black.

Unfortunately I remember 2020 well enough to know Collingwood will be forgotten about as a contender and therefore we still haven't beaten anyone of note.

Getting a greater conversion rate of deep attacking forays into goals is the holy grail. Too often we dominate periods of a game without sufficient reward and leave the other team in it or just sometimes we're left struggling to make up ground. We're not orphans by any stretch as far as this goes in this comp, but it's a little more telling for us on how successful we've been get opportunities to convert.

Gemma Houghton becoming more consistent with her shots on goal is one area for improvement on that score. A bit better decision making across the forward lines would help too.

Bout to watch tonight so hopefully Miller has another good one

I think Eps has taken the role as spiritual leader (Always bobs up when we need her) this year but Miller has been far improved on last year thats for sure, finally seeing her potential after a couple years in the wilderness

Finished todays game

Dominated them from start to finish, they are missing Bri Davey which is huge but we outclassed them anyway so I doubt she would have been the difference.

Starting to reassess where we are as a team, some things that I have noticed from this game and the season.

• Great to see Stewart back, her left boot is lethal and a POD IMO
  • The new recruits and debutants from previous years have stepped up, this is where I thought we might be lacking when we went to the draft but somehow it has worked out well for us with East, Runnalls, Mcmahon, Low all showing they are capable and have slotted in seemlessly, Originally I had thought the improvement would come from youngsters such as Franklin and Morrison but the mature recruits have worked.
  • We are building great depth too with a couple changes each week rotating the team. Would love to see Morrison and Franklin get a go throughout the year.
  • Tighe looked a lot more settled in defense, destroyed Frederick
  • Gabby to the midfield has been a masterstroke this year, she has given us a point of difference in there, that and Miller being a much improved player has completely changed our midfield from last year when we were super reliant on Bowers. (The recruits like East have helped too)
  • Tuhukaraina is a decent replacement for Duffy but jeez she would be handy right now, I don't think Sharp is making this team anymore if Franklin isn't, so we may not have lost as much as I thought
  • Kantonio has been great as a pure forward line player this season, was worried for a decline
  • Eps has stood up and become a spiritual leader for us, puts goals on the board while still playing that utility role
  • kicking has improved from the team, we aren't relying on that run and gun style the whole game now, we can chip around the backline to the open side and hit up a linking player on the wing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back