AFLW AFLW Season 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow! you blokes are being a bit tough I reckon.....

I know if I was 19-21yo again, and had to choose between representing my home town or a rival sport that came to me and offered me the chance to represent my Country, travel all over the world and play for my Country in the Olympic Games and World Cups, I know what my answer would be.
Yes good on them, but for the club's perspective... how long will this keep going on? Commonwealth games are every 2 years, and olympics every 4. The club can't keep waiting until they decide its enough.

Yes good on them, but for the club's perspective... how long will this keep going on? Commonwealth games are every 2 years, and olympics every 4. The club can't keep waiting until they decide its enough.
Fair points made there, but maybe by sitting over here out of the loop, I've got this all wrong......however I don't understand why the Suns would be waiting for them to decide.

They've made their choice and I support them on that, now it's time for the Suns to move on without them.

As the AFLW season is still going, I would assume that contracts for next season won't be finalised until this season ends (just a guess).....but as the girls have made their choice, I'm trusting that the Club won't be offering them contracts, or if they're mid-contract, then those contracts will be terminated, if at all possible.

Fair points made there, but maybe by sitting over here out of the loop, I've got this all wrong......however I don't understand why the Suns would be waiting for them to decide.

They've made their choice and I support them on that, now it's time for the Suns to move on without them.

As the AFLW season is still going, I would assume that contracts for next season won't be finalised until this season ends (just a guess).....but as the girls have made their choice, I'm trusting that the Club won't be offering them contracts, or if they're mid-contract, then those contracts will be terminated, if at all possible.
100%
Its one thing having them sit out 2022 with the olympics. But again in 2023 and who knows in 2024? The club needs to move on. There are always more players out there. They have clearly made their choice for the forseeable future. You wouldn't see the mens' doing this, no club can sit and hope for the best. Time to move on. I imagine, they will -- their contracts expire at the end of the year?

If they want to come back in a few years, then they can go back into the draft.

Sadly for us I think their manager being involved in Rugby is probably biased and pushing the girls into that direction instead of AFLW.
Mat Rogers would definitely be a factor in this. He's a GC sports legend in his own right but he's most definitely a rugby (league and union) person at heart. He played at the highest level in both codes and would be in regular contact with people involved in Rugby Australia and the NRL. I doubt he'd have many AFL/Suns contacts. Therefore he would naturally be pushing the Levi sisters towards careers in one or both of the rugby codes. For this reason it wouldn't surprise me at all if they end up playing for the Titans NRLW team in the future just so they can claim to be triple code athletes.

The only reason we'd be sticking around is because the Levi sisters are clearly exceptional athletes who are probably capable of dominating in any code. I'd guess the plan is to win the gold medal at the Paris Olympics and then stop playing rugby sevens altogether because they will have ticked off every achievement there is in that sport by that stage. Then I'd expect them to want to settle back down in their home city which should entail playing for either us or the Titans women's team.

A bit more on Maddison Levi.......

Charlotte Caslick has claimed her third World Rugby sevens player-of-the-year award, outdoing two of her Australian teammates to win the top gong.

Underlining her status as the world's best sevens player, Caslick added this year's crown to her 2016 award, which came after Australia won its first Olympic sevens gold medal at the Rio Games.

Australia teammates Maddison Levi and Faith Nathan were also in the final four, with the emerging pair central to Australia's 2022 triple crown.

Comm Games are every four years.
100%
Its one thing having them sit out 2022 with the olympics. But again in 2023 and who knows in 2024? The club needs to move on. There are always more players out there. They have clearly made their choice for the forseeable future. You wouldn't see the mens' doing this, no club can sit and hope for the best. Time to move on. I imagine, they will -- their contracts expire at the end of the year?

If they want to come back in a few years, then they can go back into the draft.
2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games.

2024 Paris Olympics.

2026 Victoria Commonwealth Games.

2028 Los Angeles Olympics.

18Gold Coast1,194
Perhaps more interesting is Brisbane in 17th position with 2,323 AFLW members. They've been such a strong team since the inception of the AFLW and look like claiming another premiership today, yet they're 17th in terms of their AFLW membership base.

Perhaps more interesting is Brisbane in 17th position with 2,323 AFLW members. They've been such a strong team since the inception of the AFLW and look like claiming another premiership today, yet they're 17th in terms of their AFLW membership base.
Can't even win a home ground granny :think:

Can't even win a home ground granny :think:
You do wonder whether playing at a completely foreign ground just cost them a flag...

If Guns N' Roses had not scheduled their Metricon concert for Thursday night then I dare say this year's AFLW GF would have been played on the Gold Coast and perhaps Brisbane would be singing the song right now.

You do wonder whether playing at a completely foreign ground just cost them a flag...

If Guns N' Roses had not scheduled their Metricon concert for Thursday night then I dare say this year's AFLW GF would have been played on the Gold Coast and perhaps Brisbane would be singing the song right now.
There is also a dance music festival (headlined by Calvin Harris) on at Metricon today.

Don’t think the final was happening here, regardless.

IMO, nothing to do with ground. Melbourne dominated for 3 quarters. Lions midfield was not up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO, nothing to do with ground. Melbourne dominated for 3 quarters. Lions midfield was not up to it.

At what point does it become a choke job?

It was a tight pressure game, but someone in that Lions midfield should have been able to break out and open up the game a bit. There are enough good players through there, and all with previous GF experience. Just a couple of clear decisive moments would probably have been enough.

Too much defending and tackling for mine and not enough taking on the game. That is the choke job question. Playing not to lose?

These were the two best teams all year (no surprise after the Crows and North lost some good players to expansion) but having watched quite a few games this season from both teams, the Lions were a notch above the Dees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back