AFLW AFLW Season 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously losing Sarah Perkins has damaged our forward line capacity as well. She was good for goals and goal assists. 1 point in a half is pretty bleak, along with only 3 inside 50s. Not really giving ourselves a chance at all.

Plus a few other experienced heads leaving to expansion teams have probably left us a bit light on across the ground as well.

Yeah, no composure at all. North can just set up and rebound with ease. Outnumbered everywhere around the ground and no targets going forward (even if the girls could hit them). Just getting beaten everywhere, unfortunately.

I think they expanded way too much. Skill level is far too thinly spread.
This game is unwatchable the skills are appalling.
Probably true. But the skills by North seem fine. We can’t hit a target at all and get bullied out of most contests.

Obviously losing Sarah Perkins has damaged our forward line capacity as well. She was good for goals and goal assists. 1 point in a half is pretty bleak, along with only 3 inside 50s. Not really giving ourselves a chance at all.

Plus a few other experienced heads leaving to expansion teams have probably left us a bit light on across the ground as well.
I was hoping we could cover those departed but the reality is they had class and experience especially the big body of Perko in the forwardline. We needed to then get another key forward in to replace her.

Watching port Adelaide we are missing a ball hunter like yorstan badly
Yeah, forcing Rowbottom and the like to play that role, but they aren’t big enough yet.

The girls were also very pressured with the ball. Just couldn’t control possession. There were few easy kicks and marks or switches, instead always forced to kick long to a contest. Lots of development to come if they want to be competitive.

I’ve seen it before in another Gold Coast team…

To North Melbourne’s credit they absolutely dominated that game. Tasmania will continue to be an awful stadium for Suns to visit.

Yeah, forcing Rowbottom and the like to play that role, but they aren’t big enough yet.

The girls were also very pressured with the ball. Just couldn’t control possession. There were few easy kicks and marks or switches, instead always forced to kick long to a contest. Lots of development to come if they want to be competitive.

I’ve seen it before in another Gold Coast team…

To North Melbourne’s credit they absolutely dominated that game. Tasmania will continue to be an awful stadium for Suns to visit.

I don’t know why the game wasn’t played at North Hobart oval like they have previously? Too big ground for about 800 people

I switched to Lions vs Sharks at HT. That was a poor half. But then I listened to coach and it seemed like we played decent last quarter. So I re-watched it and indeed the last quarter was good from girls. The longer it went the better they looked. Midfield finally started winning the ball. I think they will be OK this year.

Montagna is a good commentator contrary to Underwood. Her constant negative comments about Suns despite playing well in the last quarter almost forced me to mute the game.

Luckily I did not as she said

"Levi sisters confirmed they will play next year" :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they expanded way too much. Skill level is far too thinly spread.
This game is unwatchable the skills are appalling.
Would you be a stronger team if they didn't add the last 4 teams?

How about the other 13 teams from 2021 and 2022A, would they be stronger again without also losing the players they did, and not spreading the draftees amongst more teams?

"Levi sisters confirmed they will play next year" :)
Fantastic news! I think we had all hoped that the rugby stint for both Levi sisters would last just a year or two while they ticked the Olympics, Comm Games and World Cup experiences off their bucket lists and it would appear that is the case. It should give us a significant boost next season and let's not forget Teagan Levi was pick 6 in the national draft for a reason!

I also wonder if the recent bump in AFLW salaries was a factor behind this. We can now pay the girls competitive salaries which is probably a huge factor in their decision making.

Would you be a stronger team if they didn't add the last 4 teams?

How about the other 13 teams from 2021 and 2022A, would they be stronger again without also losing the players they did, and not spreading the draftees amongst more teams?
I would say we'd definitely be stronger if the last four teams hadn't entered this year. We lost Dunn, Yorston, Surman, Hammond and Perry to Port Adelaide as well as Perkins to Hawthorn. With the exception of Perry, all these players were all in our best 21 team last year. I think it's undeniable that we'd be stronger if Port and Hawthorn had not entered the AFLW in 2022.

Love watching Lions girls. They are fantastic and all of them in great shape. Maybe we should replace Rankine with Hodder.
She's unbelievable small forward :)

Last edited:
Just hoping Suns girls will improve otherwise round 3 at Gabba could turn into absolute belting. Freo were very lucky that Lions missed so many easy shots. It was one way traffic all game.

Would like to see Bella sometimes just grab the ball out of the ruck when she’s so dominant instead of just tapping it to advantage to the opposition

Rowbottom and Drennan have been very influential so far in this game, especially with Stanton being ruled out for the rest of the game. I like what I've seen from Bradfield as well.

Jasmyn Smith is so unassuming. She's probably the smallest player out there but seems to just bop up in important moments. Quickly becoming my new fav!

Would like to see Giselle Davies do a bit more at full forward. It looks like she's not even leading at times and just lets her opponent get the easy intercept mark.

Solid 33 point win in the end for our girls. Up to 9th on the ladder now with a positive percentage of 113% and only just outside the top 8 by percentage.

D'Arcy is seriously good.
Right? She just seemed to do everything right when she got near the ball. Serious footy smarts. It's no wonder that cricket, rugby and soccer were all chasing her when she was a junior.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back