The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Well, the AFLW season will now begin in December and in a few week's time, the road to AFLW 2022 begins with the trade and sign period! This is the planned one stop shop for all AFLW information!

PLAYERS AND COACHES
IN: Claudia Whitfort (St Kilda), Vivian Saad (North Melbourne), Charlie Rowbottom (Pick 1), Ashanti Bush (Pick 8), Gisselle Davies (Pick 30). Alana Barba (Replacement Player), Tara Bohanna (Replacement Player), Shannon Danckert (Replacement Player), Jacqueline Dupuy (Replacement Player)
OUT: Sally Riley (retired), Sam Virgo (retired), Jordann Hickey (delisted), Molly Ritson (delisted), Georgia Bevan (delisted), Leah Kaslar (delisted), Paige Parker (delisted)
INACTIVE PLAYERS FOR 21/22: Tegan Levi, Maddi Levi, Emma Pittman, Annise Bradfield

Players: Vivian Saad, Claudia Whitfort, Maddison Levi, Lucy Single, Daisy D'Arcy,
Coaches: Cameron Joyce (Head Coach)

TRADES
IN:
Claudia Whitfort, Vivian Saad
OUT: Pick 36, Pick 19

ROAD TO 2022
Jan 6-9 2022

Season Begins

SEASON DATES (PROJECTED DATES)
Round 1 (Jan 6-9)
Round 2 (Jan 13-16)
Round 3 (Jan 20-23)
Round 4 (Jan 27-30)
Round 5 (Feb 3-6)
Round 6 (Feb 10-13)
Round 7 (Feb 17-20)
Round 8 (Feb 24-27)
Round 9 (Mar 3-6)
Round 10 (Mar 10-13)
Finals Week 1 (Mar 19-20)
Finals Week 2 (Mar 26-27)
Grand Final (Apr 1 or 2)

Last edited:

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Also should be noted that we will have a string of away games when there is BBL and International T20s held at Metricon Stadium. There is a T20 match scheduled for Metricon in mid Feb. BBL/WBBL fixtures are yet to be released.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Also should be noted that we will have a string of away games when there is BBL and International T20s held at Metricon Stadium. There is a T20 match scheduled for Metricon in mid Feb. BBL/WBBL fixtures are yet to be released.
You don't think the girls will play some home games at the Southport Sharks? I thought that was always a part of the plan until we develop the 5k capacity ground next to Metricon for our AFLW and Academy teams. They will definitely play a home game in Mackay.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
You don't think the girls will play some home games at the Southport Sharks? I thought that was always a part of the plan until we develop the 5k capacity ground next to Metricon for our AFLW and Academy teams. They will definitely play a home game in Mackay.
What I’d love to see happen which would ever happen is have the Girls do a carnival style season with each home game a big event at a different club on the Gold Coast! Scattering the home games around different local clubs would be great for the community!

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What I’d love to see happen which would ever happen is have the Girls do a carnival style season with each home game a big event at a different club on the Gold Coast! Scattering the home games around different local clubs would be great for the community!

Ive thought this from the moment we got a licence

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Should we recruit Tayla Harris ?
Supposedly wants a contract worth $150,000 per year. Considering the AFLW salary cap in 2022 is set to become $538,107, it would be difficult to justify giving close to 30% of our cap to one player... Having said that, we don't have any superstar players in our team right now and Tayla plays as a key forward which is a position we have definitely struggled with in the past. She also happens to be a Queenslander which adds a bit of sentiment.

I wouldn't have thought we'd go after her with that kind of price tag but I could understand why we would chase her given the state of our AFLW team right now. I'd suggest she probably makes too much money off field down in Melbourne to ever consider us anyway.

Supposedly wants a contract worth $150,000 per year. Considering the AFLW salary cap in 2022 is set to become $538,107, it would be difficult to justify giving close to 30% of our cap to one player... Having said that, we don't have any superstar players in our team right now and Tayla plays as a key forward which is a position we have definitely struggled with in the past. She also happens to be a Queenslander which adds a bit of sentiment.

I wouldn't have thought we'd go after her with that kind of price tag but I could understand why we would chase her given the state of our AFLW team right now. I'd suggest she probably makes too much money off field down in Melbourne to ever consider us anyway.
The salary cap next season is more like $720k, and a player can only take up max $37k of that. Additional arrangements can be made beyond the salary cap, as is standard practice for the highest-paid players at each AFLW club. If Harris wanted to play for the Suns, the AFL would just about definitely make it happen.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
So a few things.

Apparently, we have said no in regards to Tayla Harris.

Our senior coach job applications have closed so hopefully we can get an announcement soon

Trade period begins Monday so hopefully we see some movement there!

The Suns are unable to trade pick No.1, with the first five draft picks in this year's NAB AFLW Draft protected due to rules made by the AFL surrounding the clubs given priority selections.

With a state-based draft in play, Gold Coast effectively has little need for the No.1 pick, needing only to be ahead of Brisbane in the Queensland pecking order.

In a comparatively shallow draft, picks No.6 and No.8 have enormous value in Victoria, where eight clubs are drawing from the same pool of talent.

Rival clubs are under the impression the Suns ideally want a player in return for one of their first-round selections.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
I personally would've preferred Scott Gowans but oh well. Congratulations Cam Joyce
Joyce would have some similar ideals to Gowans given he spent time with him at North Melbourne, they might see them that way but think Joyce could draw Tasmanian girls to nominate Gold Coast zone?

Back