AFLW AFLW Season 2022

Gold Coast are on the verge of pulling off an AFLW coup by landing arguably the brightest Victorian star in this year’s draft.

Powerful midfielder Charlie Rowbottom, the sister of Sydney men’s player James, is strongly considering nominating for the Queensland draft pool ahead of the close of nominations on Friday. The draft is on July 27.

Rowbottom, along with Georgie Prespakis - the sister of Carlton star Maddy - is widely viewed by industry sources as one of the two standout players from Victoria in this year’s draft class.

The Suns have pick No.1 after finishing bottom of the ladder earlier in the year. Because of the semi-professional nature of AFLW, players get to choose whether they want to nominate for the open draft or can pick a particular state. Most leading players choose to stay in their home state.

But Gold Coast have made a compelling pitch to Rowbottom to choose Queensland, in which case they would almost certainly pick her.

“If Charlie was to choose to nominate Queensland, we’d be really excited by that opportunity. I think it also shows the competition is growing and maturing as well,” Suns women’s football chief Fiona McLarty said on Thursday.

“We’ve spoken to her and her family.”

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Fantastic news and brings the AFLW competition closer to a level playing field all round. We will also get Teagan Levi in this year's draft so that's the equivalent of bringing two top 10 picks into the squad, with one of them being the best U18 female player in the nation. Having a 179cm midfielder that can also play as a key forward is going to make a big difference for us next year!

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Now Head of Women's recruiting

Is there anything Rowell can't do?

Have you seen that head. Of course the women will be flocking around him! He has to beat them off with a Sherrin while taking a stroll down the Esplanade

1626735629468.png

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Any idea if you’re going to prelist two mature age recruits before the AFLW draft?

There were a couple at the QLD AFLW draft testing day on the weekend.

Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Bulldogs/Lions AFLW

Good to see the Suns getting more attention from Sarah and Lucy following the Rowbottom bombshell...I thought it was a bit telling when Josh (sorry, Cameron) was introduced and said he'd been doing a bit of catch up with CTTG, not just to get an idea of their interview style, but to get up to date on 'AFLW stuff'. It might have been nerves in the opening remarks, but it does seem to follow a pattern of blokes coming in from outside the AFLW picking up the intricacies on the fly.

Granted, he has worked a bit in girls' footy previously so he's ahead of some others, but still...

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Which is why I was surprised GC didn’t pick up two mature age players this week, as they were allowed to do, before next week’s draft.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m not sure if it’s 30 or 33.

On the AFLW board, GC are listed as having 7 picks.
The list size is 30. 4 spots available at the moment. 2 reserved for Rowbottom and Teagan Levi. Plenty more talent in the academy including indigenous girls.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The list size is 30. 4 spots available at the moment. 2 reserved for Rowbottom and Teagan Levi. Plenty more talent in the academy including indigenous girls.
Ok. You have 5 picks listed in the official AFLW draft order from the official AFLW website.

I’m not questioning you’re academies talent. I was simply looking at the 10 QLD participants in this year’s AFLW draft combine, and noticed one was a member of your academy, who wasn’t drafted last year, moved down to Brisbane this year, and has had a very good season in the QAFLW.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ok. You have 5 picks listed in the official AFLW draft order from the official AFLW website.

I’m not questioning you’re academies talent. I was simply looking at the 10 QLD participants in this year’s AFLW draft combine, and noticed one was a member of your academy, who wasn’t drafted last year, moved down to Brisbane this year, and has had a very good season in the QAFLW.
I didn't think you were questioning our academies talent. I was just sharing the info. All good. I don't follow it closely but there are a lot talented girls who will compete for those last 2 list spots.

Last edited:
Back