AFLW AFLW Season 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see female participation in Mackay has grown 20% over the last two years. We've had a few Mackay products come through our doors already with Emma Pittman, Lauren Bella and Wallis Randell having all made it into our AFLW team. According to the ABS, there is about 133k people living in Mackay right now so it potential shapes as an important city for us going forward. Cairns has a population of about 155k for context.

Good to see female participation in Mackay has grown 20% over the last two years. We've had a few Mackay products come through our doors already with Emma Pittman, Lauren Bella and Wallis Randell having all made it into our AFLW team. According to the ABS, there is about 133k people living in Mackay right now so it potential shapes as an important city for us going forward. Cairns has a population of about 155k for context.
Yep awesome to see! I am travelling up to Mackay for the game. Really looking forward to it!

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to visit in Mackay?

Yep awesome to see! I am travelling up to Mackay for the game. Really looking forward to it!

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to visit in Mackay?
Google is your friend.

I've got a friend that lives up there. Not sure its that big of a place.

Some good advice there, Jen.......just google it :thumbsu:
The super computer, knows more than the rest of us haha. Just never use it when you feel sick and try google for symptoms haha. You'll be convinced you have some life threatening disease.

Google is your friend.

I've got a friend that lives up there. Not sure its that big of a place.
The trouble with googling is it comes up with awesome places but if you don’t have a car, it is pretty difficult to get to those places. I don’t drive so unfortunately won’t have a car!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t read it

Despite a whole team entering isolation and a player testing positive to Covid, Mackay’s season-opener for the AFLW season is set to go ahead.
Hopes of a smooth-sailing round one were dashed when a Gold Coast Suns player tested positive to the virus just 11 days out from round one against Greater Western Sydney on January 9.

The fully vaccinated player returned a positive PCR test that was conducted on Monday, forcing the entire club into self-isolation.

The Great Barrier Reef Arena will host the match between the Suns and the Giants, with the league optimistic the match will go ahead as scheduled.

round 2 to rescheduled in melbourne given the WA border

Sunday, January 16

Eagles v suns

12:40

Whitten Oval.

Pretty good outcome for us. 4+ hour plan ride for West Coast vs our 2 hour plane ride. It's a similar situation in round 1 with us spending 90 minutes on the plane to Mackay vs 2.5 hours for the Giants. Then we have 2 games at Metricon.

For our girls I think it's just about starting the season strong and trying to nab a win or 2 in the opening rounds to give themselves the best possible chance of competing for a finals position later in the season. GWS, West Coast and St Kilda are all seemingly beatable and two of those three games are in Queensland with the third being at a neutral venue so the opportunity is definitely there for the girls. I remember our round 2 victory and round 3 draw in the 2020 season were the reason we were still a chance to secure a finals position later on in the season and we went into the away game against West Coast knowing a big win would secure a finals position. The girls were up for the challenge that day and smashed West Coast by 4+ goals to secure our club's first and only finals appearance. I could see something similar playing out in 2022 if we're able to start the season well and I'm sure we're all going to be impressed by what we see from Charlie Rowbottom over the next few months.

Hard to know who we will play in round 5 and beyond (at this point) but I would suggest the AFL might give us some favourable treatment given we are the reigning wooden spooners and are in desperate need of good news stories as an organisation. Two more games against Geelong and Richmond would be nice :thumbsu:

I should have also mentioned that although it's not great news that five of our players have tested positive to COVID-19, the fact that they are all showing mild to no symptoms would suggest they should all be available to play next Sunday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back