AFLW AFLW Season 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

And our season is back on track after a big win over West Coast!

Our percentage is now at a manageable level (97.1%) and we'll be sitting equal fifth on the ladder by the end of today.

Next up is a very depleted Brisbane team at Metricon on Saturday night. I think we're a huge chance to win and enter the top 6 after what I just saw in the fourth quarter against the Eagles.

We're still climbing the ladder! We're up to 7th position now after the Crows beat North and with a bit of luck we'll enter the top 6 (finals position) in a few hours from now should Fremantle beat GWS by 17 or more points (or if GWS beat Fremantle by 30+ points). Regardless of the result, we'll be tied 5th at the end of this round.

Today's win would be an even sweeter victory for the girls if they can move into a finals position before they land at Cooly airport so I'm hoping Fremantle can pull off a big win over the Giants today.

It's looking likely that we're going to enter the top 6 in about an hour from now. Fremantle currently lead GWS by 25 points at half time and appear to be dominating the game.

The day keeps getting better! We're officially inside the top 6 (a finals position!) now courtesy of a big win for Fremantle.

How awesome must it feel for our girls to pull off a big win against the odds around the midway point of the fourth quarter when they needed to kick three unanswered goals after only kicking one in the other three quarters AND THEN move into a finals position on the ladder after the season they had in 2021. Some may say it's just one win but I don't think you can underestimate the kind of influence a win like that can have on a young list. Kate Surman said it best in the post match interview when she said the team felt they had lost the respect of the competition in 2021 and a lot of people were doubting the girls but they are just focused on proving that wrong.

Who knows. Finals may even be on the cards for this young team in 2022 :D

The day keeps getting better! We're officially inside the top 6 (a finals position!) now courtesy of a big win for Fremantle.

How awesome must it feel for our girls to pull off a big win against the odds around the midway point of the fourth quarter when they needed to kick three unanswered goals after only kicking one in the other three quarters AND THEN move into a finals position on the ladder after the season they had in 2021. Some may say it's just one win but I don't think you can underestimate the kind of influence a win like that can have on a young list. Kate Surman said it best in the post match interview when she said the team felt they had lost the respect of the competition in 2021 and a lot of people were doubting the girls but they are just focused on proving that wrong.

Who knows. Finals may even be on the cards for this young team in 2022 :D
Selfishly, finals would stuff up my planned trips for the mens footy in r1 and r2. I’d love to get to the finals if we made it- probably a good reason why they are trying to move the womens comp to finish before the mens. It’ll avoid overlaps and allow fans to travel, attend and follow both teams with no clashes.

Selfishly, finals would stuff up my planned trips for the mens footy in r1 and r2. I’d love to get to the finals if we made it- probably a good reason why they are trying to move the womens comp to finish before the mens. It’ll avoid overlaps and allow fans to travel, attend and follow both teams with no clashes.
If we were to make it, perhaps we'll play Fremantle in the first week of the finals and it will line up perfectly? A home prelim at Metricon the following week would be even better but that seems unlikely at this stage. The third option would be to play Brisbane in an away prelim but who knows what kind of season they are going to have given the way it's started.

Dare to dream though. We're in the top 6 right now and quite a few of the girls who played for us today also played in our 2020 finals match against Freo (10 to be exact) so it's not like we're lacking from an experience perspective in that regard.

If we were to make it, perhaps we'll play Fremantle in the first week of the finals and it will line up perfectly? A home prelim at Metricon the following week would be even better but that seems unlikely at this stage. The third option would be to play Brisbane in an away prelim but who knows what kind of season they are going to have given the way it's started.

Dare to dream though. We're in the top 6 right now and quite a few of the girls who played for us today also played in our 2020 finals match against Freo (10 to be exact) so it's not like we're lacking from an experience perspective in that regard.
The way the finals work is we would (most likely if we did happen to make finals) is we would finish between 4-6 and have to play a prelim final the week of Round 1 in the men’s. The current top 4 i actually think will remain the top 4, it’s just a matter of who finishes top 2 and get the week off. So we would either have to play Fremantle, Collingwood, Melbourne, or Adelaide. Fingers crossed we would play (in terms of practicality for me anyway) we have a Pies final on the Saturday midday in Melbourne and I’d be able to attend that before getting on my flight that afternoon to go to Perth! It’s all hypothetical at this stage but we will see what happens. It’ll be a big task to make finals but if the girls play like they did in the last quarter today, anything is possible. I do think though if we did make it, those 4 teams are tough teams all capable of winning the flag and we would most likely not progress through to the second week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As you heard me say at the game, it was a fair tackle. She was okay to play on so should just be a fine!
Yeah, she played on. Didnt go off for medical attention. A free kick was awarded, that was enough. Did she pin both arms and swing her to the ground (toward her head?)

I've managed to watch both games so far, annoying watching the same inside game plan we had in 2018-2020 for the mens. Thought the game was dead when Eagles kicked those lucky goals but what a comeback.

Love watching Hampson & Rowbottom in the guts, wrecking balls.

Kicking and skills are a mile off from the top teams and scared to watch those games as i don't think we'll even score

Gold Coast pride guernsey to be worn this weekend
P-9357754088923-1-min__90736.1642046037.jpg
P-9357754088923-3-min__96000.1642046063.jpg

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a team enjoy a win so much
Was thinking that the Mens team could learn from the Womens team on how to celebrate a win and how to kick goals in the fourth quarter.

I was thinking about this earlier and wondered why it seemed like our women appear to care more about winning than our men (purely based on the way they react after games). Then I realised the main difference between the two squads is the origin of the players. Our women's team is packed with born and raised Gold Coasters and you can't really say the same about our men's team. The point being that I feel our women's team may actually take more ownership of the club because they grew up here and feel a deeper connection to the community because it is literally the friends and family they grew up with. Kalinda Howarth, Lauren Ahrens, Lucy Single, Annise Bradfield were all born on the Gold Coast and others like Jamie Stanton, Serene Watson and Dee Heslop all moved to the Gold Coast early in their life and grew up here. That's a strong core of locals who would feel a powerful connection to the city and even some of the Logan girls like Groves-Little and Pregelj may feel the same way too. There's also the NQ girls like Lauren Bella, Daisy D'Arcy and Ellie Hampson who all moved here as teenagers to pursue academy opportunities but probably also feel a greater connection to the club/community than an interstate draftee.

Successful AFL teams often talk about the turning point being when all the players collectively take ownership of the club and hold each other accountable and I'm starting to think our women figured that out a lot quicker than our men which is allowing them to reap the rewards of a united team.

I was thinking about this earlier and wondered why it seemed like our women appear to care more about winning than our men (purely based on the way they react after games). Then I realised the main difference between the two squads is the origin of the players. Our women's team is packed with born and raised Gold Coasters and you can't really say the same about our men's team. The point being that I feel our women's team may actually take more ownership of the club because they grew up here and feel a deeper connection to the community because it is literally the friends and family they grew up with. Kalinda Howarth, Lauren Ahrens, Lucy Single, Annise Bradfield were all born on the Gold Coast and others like Jamie Stanton, Serene Watson and Dee Heslop all moved to the Gold Coast early in their life and grew up here. That's a strong core of locals who would feel a powerful connection to the city and even some of the Logan girls like Groves-Little and Pregelj may feel the same way too. There's also the NQ girls like Lauren Bella, Daisy D'Arcy and Ellie Hampson who all moved here as teenagers to pursue academy opportunities but probably also feel a greater connection to the club/community than an interstate draftee.

Successful AFL teams often talk about the turning point being when all the players collectively take ownership of the club and hold each other accountable and I'm starting to think our women figured that out a lot quicker than our men which is allowing them to reap the rewards of a united team.
A lot of the girls would’ve grown up as suns fans and members too (most happen to be around my age maybe slightly older and came through the academy when they would’ve been supporting the suns! That for sure helps. It’s not just the past three years they’ve been part of the club, they have in fact been part of the club from at a min, their early/mid teens.

CULTURE! Our girls have it that’s for sure. You could ask where was the culture last year but they did have it. It was just that as a young team against more experienced opponents, the girls struggled but the games they continued to play and develop together will be instrumental for the future of the suns womens program and any premiership tilt.

A lot of the girls would’ve grown up as suns fans and members too (most happen to be around my age maybe slightly older and came through the academy when they would’ve been supporting the suns! That for sure helps. It’s not just the past three years they’ve been part of the club, they have in fact been part of the club from at a min, their early/mid teens.

CULTURE! Our girls have it that’s for sure. You could ask where was the culture last year but they did have it. It was just that as a young team against more experienced opponents, the girls struggled but the games they continued to play and develop together will be instrumental for the future of the suns womens program and any premiership tilt.
This is very true. It makes a big difference when probably more than 50% of your list has been involved with the club since their early teens and have grown up supporting the Suns. We're only just starting to see that develop now with our men's team when you look at a player like Budarick but one is not enough. We desperately need more high end talent coming out of our academy for the team culture in our men's team to improve.

The girls really do seem ecstatic when they win and that just shows how invested they are as a group.

RA poach T. Levi yet aren’t even playing her in the squad 😞
I'd suggest this is probably a good outcome for us. If she can't keep a spot in the national team then she's far more likely to come back to the GC and play for us next year. For anyone that's interested, Maddi Levi will be playing for our national 7s team against Belgium in 15 minutes from now. Then again at 4:35am and 7:50pm tomorrow. If the girls are good enough, we might get to see her play again on Sunday night. Here is the live stream:

Just did a little round/ladder predictor and it turns out we will likely retain our top 6 position even though we won't play this weekend. Collingwood beat Geelong, Adelaide should beat West Coast, Melbourne should beat St Kilda, Fremantle should beat Richmond (hopefully by 20+ points which is very possibly considering round 1 & 2 they won by 28 & 32 points), North vs GWS is a coin flip and Brisbane probably should beat Carlton by a small margin (as long as it's less than 28 points than that's fine). If all those results occur then North/GWS will jump ahead of us and Richmond will drop below us which means we will keep our 6th spot on the ladder. I feel it's important for the girls to retain a top 6 position right now because that's the kind of knowledge that really motivates a player to dig deep in a fourth quarter when the game is on the line.

It looks like our next opponents will be Richmond at some point next week so hopefully Freo touch them up this afternoon so they come into the clash against us with low confidence and we can take advantage of the home conditions at Metricon.

Just did a little round/ladder predictor and it turns out we will likely retain our top 6 position even though we won't play this weekend. Collingwood beat Geelong, Adelaide should beat West Coast, Melbourne should beat St Kilda, Fremantle should beat Richmond (hopefully by 20+ points which is very possibly considering round 1 & 2 they won by 28 & 32 points), North vs GWS is a coin flip and Brisbane probably should beat Carlton by a small margin (as long as it's less than 28 points than that's fine). If all those results occur then North/GWS will jump ahead of us and Richmond will drop below us which means we will keep our 6th spot on the ladder. I feel it's important for the girls to retain a top 6 position right now because that's the kind of knowledge that really motivates a player to dig deep in a fourth quarter when the game is on the line.

It looks like our next opponents will be Richmond at some point next week so hopefully Freo touch them up this afternoon so they come into the clash against us with low confidence and we can take advantage of the home conditions at Metricon.
Everything has gone according to plan so far. Adelaide beat West Coast, Melbourne beat St Kilda and Fremantle smashed Richmond by 30 points. As a result, we've temporarily jumped into 5th place on the ladder but that will change tomorrow when either North Melbourne or GWS win and we'll go back to 6th place. To keep our spot in the top 6 at the end of this round, all we need is for Brisbane to beat Carlton but by no more than 26 points. Pretty safe bet I would have thought.

I wonder when we'll have confirmation of our next match...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back