AFLW AFLW Season 2022

Everything has gone according to plan so far. Adelaide beat West Coast, Melbourne beat St Kilda and Fremantle smashed Richmond by 30 points. As a result, we've temporarily jumped into 5th place on the ladder but that will change tomorrow when either North Melbourne or GWS win and we'll go back to 6th place. To keep our spot in the top 6 at the end of this round, all we need is for Brisbane to beat Carlton but by no more than 26 points. Pretty safe bet I would have thought.

I wonder when we'll have confirmation of our next match...
A few of those were predicted results. St Kilda did give Melb a run for their money -- until that last quarter.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Fair to say I’m not happy with this list
2D44A913-7C31-4C26-BF82-97D1A00D6384.jpeg

Fair to say I’m not happy with this list
View attachment 1315272
Welcome to expansion where the new clubs are allowed to poach players from existing clubs. Usually only happens in the same state. Just cross your fingers. Ive got first hand experience what its like when Norf came into the comp.
But unless the girls want to move states, (which rarely happens because of family/work/school) GC will be fine.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I only watched the last quarter but for sure it did not look like Lions played low on confidence :p Quite the contrary.

WTF, most probably another ACL (Smith, former Suns academy). I feel for girls.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think it's fair to say we dodged a bullet by not playing the Lions over the weekend. They just demolished Carlton by 35 points and have taken our spot in the top 6.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
WTF, most probably another ACL (Smith, former Suns academy). I feel for girls.
They've had a really rough go with injuries so far this season. Literally lost three of their best talls over the course of two matches.

However, it would appear they bat ridiculously deep for those injuries to seemingly not affect their performance. I'm not sure they can cop many more injuries and still cover them though. They lose another tall and it's going to be really tough for them.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
At this point, the fixture suggests we won't face Brisbane in the home and away season this year. I think we'd probably all be okay with that after the way they smashed Carlton tonight.

The Bulldogs will do just fine, thank you.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
At this point, the fixture suggests we won't face Brisbane in the home and away season this year. I think we'd probably all be okay with that after the way they smashed Carlton tonight.

I would be surprised if AFLW does not include QClash in the schedule. There will be more fixture changes/updates for sure. Already Eagles in isolation after number of players/staff had been unwell after Adelaide game. covid will run through all teams.

You want to get tested and play against the best!

Last edited:

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would be surprised if AFLW does not include QClash in the schedule. There will be more fixture changes/updates for sure.

You want to get tested and play against the best!
That's not possible in all cases. There are 14 teams in the league and 10 rounds. Some teams simply won't play against the best teams this season.

I'd rather just get a few wins on the board right now. A massive demoralising loss in round 3/4 when you have a win-loss record of 1-1 could be enough to sink a season from a mental perspective. Let's just play teams closer to our own ability like the Bulldogs and Richmond for now and hopefully build more confidence within the young group. Remember, we're building from a long way back here and momentum is a funny thing that can take you a long way in sports. We can save the QClash for later in the season (hopefully by that point both Qld teams have secured finals positions) :thumbsu: I'd much rather face the Lions in round 10 than in round 3.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ya think.
Happy to put my hand up and say I got that one wrong. Brisbane obviously bat a lot deeper than I thought they did. Facing the Crows in Adelaide is difficult for any AFLW team but I'd like to see the result of that reverse fixture. Unfortunately we most likely won't see that this year.

Both of our teams are pretty fortunate to be based in a state that produces so many high level female footballers. Would love to see some of our young Queenslanders step up this year but I understand these things take time. Most of the Queenslanders on Brisbane's list seem well developed which is a testament to the Lions development program over the last few years. We need to follow suit in that regard.

Farquharson looks like a gun by the way.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Happy to put my hand up and say I got that one wrong. Brisbane obviously bat a lot deeper than I thought they did. Facing the Crows in Adelaide is difficult for any AFLW team but I'd like to see the result of that reverse fixture. Unfortunately we most likely won't see that this year.

Both of our teams are pretty fortunate to be based in a state that produces so many high level female footballers. Would love to see some of our young Queenslanders step up this year but I understand these things take time. Most of the Queenslanders on Brisbane's list seem well developed which is a testament to the Lions development program over the last few years. We need to follow suit in that regard.

Couldn't agree more..............

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

Few of our draftees get to play in their first year, or years. We have tended to trade in or draft one or two mature players more recently, who slot in to a role, while the younger players have to really earn it.

So opposition supporters don’t really know how deep our squad is.

We had three girls in last year’s NAB AFLW Academy, and it’s unlikely any of the play this year, unless we have a lot more injuries.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Few of our draftees get to play in their first year, or years. We have tended to trade in or draft one or two mature players more recently, who slot in to a role, while the younger players have to really earn it.

So opposition supporters don’t really know how deep our squad is.

We had three girls in last year’s NAB AFLW Academy, and it’s unlikely any of the play this year, unless we have a lot more injuries.

Well you've got a good one in No22 (Farquarson).......:thumbsu:

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Geez, just re-watched 1st quarter. It was mostly demolition. I hope Lukosius watched too. I want him to play like Farquharson. Marking the ball higher up the ground and then beautiful deliveries to King :cool:

HereIam86

Club Legend
Jun 5, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
La lakers Brisbane Heat

Would they change the fixture so they can in the Q clash in?

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Firstly, there is a big branch of the Svarcs that live in this valley so always checking how Cathy is going for the Lions. Yep, going alright. And Ruby showed a bit too.

Secondly, the Lions could easily have won by more.
Their midfield are all 2 way runners, so have a bigger influence on winning games then other midfields with more touches.
Their wingers just cover the ground so well, and with 16 a side that is a big weapon to have.
O'Dwyer has gone from handy to good to a top 10 player in the comp for mine.

Lastly, that game is just night and day from a season 1 game. We are just not ready to play at a top 4 level yet. Need a couple more years into the youngsters at least. Really hurts to lose the Levi sisters who need some games.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Firstly, there is a big branch of the Svarcs that live in this valley so always checking how Cathy is going for the Lions. Yep, going alright. And Ruby showed a bit too.

Secondly, the Lions could easily have won by more.
Their midfield are all 2 way runners, so have a bigger influence on winning games then other midfields with more touches.
Their wingers just cover the ground so well, and with 16 a side that is a big weapon to have.
O'Dwyer has gone from handy to good to a top 10 player in the comp for mine.

Lastly, that game is just night and day from a season 1 game. We are just not ready to play at a top 4 level yet. Need a couple more years into the youngsters at least. Really hurts to lose the Levi sisters who need some games.
Yup, I genuinely felt for you, losing the Levi sisters.

Genuinely put you back one or two seasons, as they would both have been part of your midfield rotation.

Back