AFLW AFLW Season 2022

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
As expected, Adelaide beat Collingwood. Now it's on our girls to beat Carlton and keep their season alive.

Win and there's a chance. Lose and the season is over.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The girls did well to settle and work their way back into this game against Carlton after trailing by more than three goals at quarter time. They're only behind by a single goal now and have all the momentum going into the second half.

Let's go girls! Continue fighting to keep this season alive!!!

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ah well. There’s always next year! They exceeded expectations this season, but still left me disappointed.
To go from a winless/wooden spoon season to still having a legitimate chance to play finals in the second last round of the season is a pretty big jump. Definitely disappointing for it to end this way (particularly the draw against the Bulldogs and the loss to the Saints) but our girls can take a lot of confidence going into next season with an extra preseason in their legs which will allow them to run out games better. I felt that was one of our issues this season but you expect that with a young/inexperienced list. Hopefully Pregelj is back as well because I'm of the opinion that our girls would have played finals this year if Jade had not gotten injured. We also have some exciting talent coming through our academy with Alana Gee and Fleur Davies pretty likely to play for our AFLW team next season.

Brighter days ahead for our girls!

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Disappointing last few games to the end of the season but a lot to look forward to

I think having the Levi sisters in the team would make a difference

Still a few players who are inconsistent weekly and a couple who probably shouldn’t be playing

But overall can see what’s building and looking at a side like the giants who have been in the AFLw longer than us got to be happy to be able to be just outside finals

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
We have had a disappointing last few games but aside from the Lions game, we have had our chances to win in all games if we took our chances and opportunities. Even tonight in the third quarter we had chances after chances that went begging and early in the 4th quarter also had chances.

There has been some inconstant players but I think the coaching teams thinking is to get games experience playing together as a group.

Levi sisters, Bradfield, Pregelj, Groves-Little and Pittman would all have an impact into the side.

Skills still need to be improved including marking and picking the ball cleanly up off the ground but these skills will come over time. They are only part time athletes at the end of the day. Plenty to be proud of- we can see what is developing and building. We have performed the best out of the 2020 expansion sides (Eagles, Saints, Richmond and us) and have just missed finals. This is something to keep in the back of our minds as motivation for the 2022/23 AFLW season. We are good enough when it all comes together.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the off season. Who do we delist? Who is traded in/out? Who goes and joins an Expansion team? Keen for your thoughts! I am really nervous about Ahrens. I think Essendon will come knocking for her and she is such an important part of the team. How do we manage to keep Bohanna? She would only be on a one year deal as a replacement player so we need to find a way to keep her in the squad. Hawthorn will ask Perkins if she wants to return to Victoria given the Goddard connection.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
To go from a winless/wooden spoon season to still having a legitimate chance to play finals in the second last round of the season is a pretty big jump. Definitely disappointing for it to end this way (particularly the draw against the Bulldogs and the loss to the Saints) but our girls can take a lot of confidence going into next season with an extra preseason in their legs which will allow them to run out games better. I felt that was one of our issues this season but you expect that with a young/inexperienced list. Hopefully Pregelj is back as well because I'm of the opinion that our girls would have played finals this year if Jade had not gotten injured. We also have some exciting talent coming through our academy with Alana Gee and Fleur Davies pretty likely to play for our AFLW team next season.

Brighter days ahead for our girls!
It will be interesting to see whether Pregelj does come back in 2022/23

Jaq Yorston suffered her ACL on 11 Jan 2021 and came back 30 Jan 2022

That is more than a year difference and given Pregelj only had her surgery during the week, it could be until late in the 2022/23 season that she does return. I would not be surprised if she misses the whole season especially if they do play it in the planned October/November start time and finish before the men's season kicks off.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Rowbottom expected to stay with the Suns. Push for 22/23 season to start in September. This could mean there is a longer season coming 😁

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
AFLW Season 7 is set to be kicked off in August and be all wrapped up in late November-early December
Looks like Jade won’t be playing next season
Fair to say it'll be a 17-round season where every team faces each other once and that will be followed by a four-week finals series. We'll finally get a true indication of which teams should be playing finals. I also like the fact that these dates work around the Sevens World Series which I can only assume dramatically increases our chances of bringing the Levi sisters back into the fold.

Hopefully our recruiters can find a high quality tall defender to replace Pregelj either through the draft or a trade because I personally feel her loss cost our AFLW team a finals berth this year.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Fair to say it'll be a 17-round season where every team faces each other once and that will be followed by a four-week finals series. We'll finally get a true indication of which teams should be playing finals. I also like the fact that these dates work around the Sevens World Series which I can only assume dramatically increases our chances of bringing the Levi sisters back into the fold.

Hopefully our recruiters can find a high quality tall defender to replace Pregelj either through the draft or a trade because I personally feel her loss cost our AFLW team a finals berth this year.
Won’t be given 17 rounds and 4 weeks finals will take them through to mid January. This is the point of the change- reduce matches playing in finals.

I’m interested to see who wins the clash between AFLW and WBBL. I wonder how broadcasters will work it when Seven will have WBBL, AFLW, Supercars and horse racing all at the same time.

AFLW will also lose some limelight when the T20 World Cup is on. Geelong won’t have access to GMHBA in October-November.

Back