Women's Footy AFLW season 2023 - Season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

So the list of 528 footballers who have nominated for next weeks supplementary draft is now out..... Geez I hope we absolutely nail our 4 picks.... some talent on the east coast that have nominated "all states" - I really hope we are looking not just at the WA hopefuls but over east as well.
I have a feeling we will be going for a couple nationally.

This is of course based on nothing, not based on the fact that I got the news from my cousins girlfriends neighbours friend who once drove past someone at the club

Last edited:
She certainly has - I reckon there's a few that a worth a second look that have nominated "All States"
Sophie Abbatangelo & Elisha King - both ex North Melbourne, both forwards who would give a bit of grunt. King very unlucky, copped a few injuries in her time at North
Yvonne Bonner & Ailish Considine - GWS & Adelaide. Bonner a natural forward (played a bit like a Cora Staunton) and Considine a premiership player with the Crows, more mid/back
Bec Goring & Gen Lawson Tavan. Goring ex captain of the Cats, Lawson Tavan was a sign on for the Swans last year. Both lock down full backs which could free O'Driscoll to go forward.... Although with Pugh and Low already playing lockdown rolls maybe surplus?

Anyway, just some ideas!
From our ‘best’ years, we need replacements for Gemma, Duffy, Sharp and now Franklin up forward as the priority imo.

From our ‘best’ years, we need replacements for Gemma, Duffy, Sharp and now Franklin up forward as the priority imo.
Drama Peek GIF

Hope we have a close look at Sophie Abbatangelo - if she’s nominated for the national draft. Anyone know?
couldn't we have picked her up as a delisted free agent earlier?! I dunno if it's different to AFL? She's 32, so I can only assume the reason she was let go by North was because of her age (??). I wouldn't say no, she can provide a bit of experience and leadership in our young-ish forwardline

kraken on a bike, that's bad! So much talent we had that's now gone......harken fell :eekv1:

Wouldn’t mind picking her up again. But maybe that’s just a romantic thought because she grew up a Freo supporter, then played for the club. It’d be like ‘bringing her home’.
It would be difficult to go back again to Stewart as she clearly had reasons (or the club had reasons) why it was not working out. She also didn't sound overly convinced when interviewed if she wants the opportunity again, I gather she has nominated but is she going to have the desire. She is talented enough but...

I'm suddenly curious about the variability of testosterone levels in AFLW athletes compared to AFL athletes, my spideysense is thinking it may be quite a bit more of a broad range in the women, resulting in drastically different physical capabilities.
I'm generally a fan of your work, Taylor, but this one, from where I'm sitting, has come from absolutely nowhere. I have to know what sparked this sudden curiosity.

I'm generally a fan of your work, Taylor, but this one, from where I'm sitting, has come from absolutely nowhere. I have to know what sparked this sudden curiosity.

I was considering the differences in physical expression of testosterone in women, given it's such a boost as a performance enhancer, that someone like Stewart who has a presentation that I would describe as average compared to the likes of Phillips at the extreme other end might be hitting a biological limit.

It's going to be easier for a woman with even a slightly higher regular testosterone level to build and gain muscle, which will make it easier to recover, easier to perform, more powerful.

Men can be an order of magnitude higher in testosterone, and it's my belief that AFL players are measured early in their careers to create their blood passport hormone levels allowing the doctors to ensure they remain at the high end of their normal - resulting in better physical capability.

So... finally getting to it. If there is a broader range of testosterone levels in women playing AFL, I would like to see how those considered to be "good" players stack up - my suspicion is that they will be the more powerful, bigger, faster athletes.

Working on the known flawed assumption that players are putting in their best efforts and the outcomes will be genetically and targeted improvement decided.

Treating AFLW athletes the same as men might be doing a disservice to the very different biology. I'm not suggesting that we dope our players with testosterone, although that will result in better performances, but perhaps targeting players with a higher natural physical development off that basis could be a path to go down.

... but then I would expect those women with higher T would already be presenting as more powerful, larger framed, more aggressive etc.

I was considering the differences in physical expression of testosterone in women, given it's such a boost as a performance enhancer, that someone like Stewart who has a presentation that I would describe as average compared to the likes of Phillips at the extreme other end might be hitting a biological limit.

It's going to be easier for a woman with even a slightly higher regular testosterone level to build and gain muscle, which will make it easier to recover, easier to perform, more powerful.

Men can be an order of magnitude higher in testosterone, and it's my belief that AFL players are measured early in their careers to create their blood passport hormone levels allowing the doctors to ensure they remain at the high end of their normal - resulting in better physical capability.

So... finally getting to it. If there is a broader range of testosterone levels in women playing AFL, I would like to see how those considered to be "good" players stack up - my suspicion is that they will be the more powerful, bigger, faster athletes.

Working on the known flawed assumption that players are putting in their best efforts and the outcomes will be genetically and targeted improvement decided.

Treating AFLW athletes the same as men might be doing a disservice to the very different biology. I'm not suggesting that we dope our players with testosterone, although that will result in better performances, but perhaps targeting players with a higher natural physical development off that basis could be a path to go down.

... but then I would expect those women with higher T would already be presenting as more powerful, larger framed, more aggressive etc.
Aren't you better just targetting players who think clearly and quickly under pressure, are highly coordinated and have a willingness for the contest? (ie look at their performance)

The girls in 2021 thought they were close to winning a flag. It is sad we could not have a sustained period of success.

We are cursed.

Aren't you better just targetting players who think clearly and quickly under pressure, are highly coordinated and have a willingness for the contest? (ie look at their performance)

I'm not sure the opposition allows a reliable measure to judge the young players. There is such a divide between the average and the good players at AFLW level and this is greater the next level down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a theory that Joel Houghton suffered from low testosterone. If you ever heard him speak, he had a very high voice, & struggled to gain muscle, as well as play with energy.
It's just a theory

Sent from my SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Joanne Cregg, Gaelic star turned Wembley Magpie and Subiaco Lion, eyes AFLW dream with Fremantle​

Joanne Cregg has gone from Gaelic football ace to AFLW draft smoky in just 16 games, all while working as a paediatrician. The Subiaco midfielder speaks to ELIZA REILLY about her incredible journey.

5 min read
April 4, 2023 - 8:00AM
Joanne Cregg's athleticism and skills quickly stood out when she joined Wembley. Now, she’s a Subiaco Lion and on the brink of being drafted into Fremantle’s AFLW side. Picture: Supplied.

Joanne Cregg's athleticism and skills quickly stood out when she joined Wembley. Now, she’s a Subiaco Lion and on the brink of being drafted into Fremantle’s AFLW side. Picture: Supplied.

Joanne Cregg thought she had Australian rules all figured out. Until she didn’t – in a grand final.
The Irishwoman had played county Gaelic football for Roscommon since she was a teenager. Her raw power, speed and skills were perfect for football.

It was her attitude, too. Since moving to Perth in early 2022 to further her career as a paediatric doctor, Cregg had embraced her new code and very quickly she emerged as one of Wembley’s best midfielders.
But footy has its quirks. And Cregg took until the final game of the season to iron them out.
“It took me quite a while to learn the rules, to the point I was standing on the sidelines during our grand final and I asked a question about what is in hindsight a very simple rule about tackling, and one of the girls turned around and was like, ‘Jo, this is the grand final! How do you not know this?’” Cregg says.
“I can’t remember exactly what happened but I was confused about why one tackle was a foul and the next wasn’t. I think I’ve gotten there now.”
Cregg was judged best on ground in Wembley’s B-Grade grand final win over Swan Athletic, in a sign of her importance to the team but also how much room she had to grow. She was quickly snapped up by WAFLW outfit Subiaco to take the next step in her fledgling football journey.
Cregg debuted four weeks ago in round one. Now, her rapid rise is on the verge of continuing.
The 29-year-old has caught the eye of Fremantle ahead of Tuesday’s supplementary draft. Cregg has nominated for the Western Australian draft pool, giving the Dockers exclusive access to her services given West Coast doesn’t have any picks.
“I haven’t specifically heard anything (from clubs). I’ve nominated for the state draft because I love Perth and I love my job. I’m excited to see what happens. You never know I suppose,” she says.
Joanne Cregg has emerged as a draft smoky since moving to WAFLW team Subiaco. Picture: Supplied.

Joanne Cregg has emerged as a draft smoky since moving to WAFLW team Subiaco. Picture: Supplied.
Cregg wouldn’t be the first Irishwoman to make the move from Ireland to the AFLW.
She started playing Gaelic football when she was six years old. She took the next step aged 14, when selected to play for Roscommon.
Gaelic isn’t considered a professional sport but players train like it is; Cregg was training four times a week and playing on weekends. Roscommon wasn’t the most successful team, winning a couple of provincial championships, but Cregg was undoubtedly their star.
Then came university. While studying to become a doctor, Cregg played for the University of Limerick and in two of the four years she was there, the team won the All Ireland Championship.
The Championships saw Cregg play with and against some of the biggest names in Gaelic and now the AFLW. Players like Fremantle’s Aine Tighe, West Coast’s Aisling McCarthy, St Kilda’s Grace Kelly and Brisbane’s Orla O’Dwyer all featured.
Then came the pandemic. Cregg was part of a cohort of doctors whose graduation was fast-tracked to help battle the onset of Covid-19. It was confronting at best and terrifying at worst.
“We were working relentless hours in difficult conditions facing a very unknown prospect. Not a lot of research had been done and the mortality rate was quite high,” Cregg said.
Joanne Cregg worked as a doctor during the height of Covid-19. Picture: Supplied.

Joanne Cregg worked as a doctor during the height of Covid-19. Picture: Supplied.

Cregg managed to get through most of 2020 without contracting the virus. But just days before vaccines were due to be rolled out in Ireland, she succumbed to Covid.
Her parents came to visit on Christmas Day and Cregg was so sick that she had to be carried down the stairs by her housemate to submit season’s greetings through the glass.
“I’m an avid sports person and I ran a personal best in my 5km time trial two days before I got Covid and after that, I couldn’t move,” Cregg recalls.
“It affected my lung capacity and my heart and I had constant fatigue as well. My smell and taste only came back after eight months. I was dipping chicken nuggets in sauce to try and feel something.”
It took Cregg a total of six months to return to sport, under the careful watch of a respiratory sports physician.
“I remember trying to get back into running and it was scary how fatigued I was,” she says.
The hurdle was even more challenging given Cregg was planning a significant sea change.
Joanne Cregg capped off an excellent debut season with a best on ground medal in the 2022 B-Grade grand final. Picture: Supplied.

Joanne Cregg capped off an excellent debut season with a best on ground medal in the 2022 B-Grade grand final. Picture: Supplied.
Cregg moved to Australia, specifically Perth, in March of 2022.
Her main reason was to further her career as a paediatric doctor at Perth Children’s Hospital. But as with playing Gaelic in Ireland, Cregg needed an outlet from the hospital’s daily tribulations.
Eagles midfielder McCarthy pushed Cregg in the direction of Wembley, where ex-teammate Parris Laurie was coaching.
“I absolutely fell in love with it. I didn’t think I could fall in love with another sport but alas, I did,” Cregg says.
“I had zero experience. I’d watched a couple of clips of the Irish girls playing but I had no understanding of the teams or the rules. I’d only really been to those International Rules games between Australia and Ireland but that was it.”
While the sports have their differences, Cregg’s skills were instantly transferable.
“I’ve always been a fit person and I’ve been able to read the game. And I’m quite speedy over my first four steps. In Gaelic, we only have four steps, so your first couple are really important. And our ball is a lot heavier, so I’ve found I’ve been able to kick a football inside 50,” she says.
If Cregg is drafted on Tuesday night, she will follow in the footsteps of Irishwoman Amy Mulholland as a Wembley Magpie turned Subiaco Lion turned Docker. But most importantly, she’ll fulfil her dream of playing elite sport.

“Sport is a career as well and it’s important that women have that pathway. In Ireland, we’re pushing and driving for professionalism but unfortunately, although we train like a professional side, we don’t have that recognition of being paid,” she says.
“You realise it is within your grasp and that anyone can have the opportunity to play at that level if you work hard enough and strive hard enough. Someone like Cora Staunton is a huge name in Ireland and she’s been the face of Gaelic football. Then she came to Australia and paved the way for all of the girls we’re seeing now.”

So we are the only club picking in the WA pool.

Be interested to see if we use our early picks Nationally before using some locally.

Despite the fact this is a watered down midseason draftv i am looking forward to it.

Analysis: Fremantle address need for height, young talent in AFLW supplementary draft​

Fremantle found their diamonds in the rough on a productive night at the AFLW supplementary draft, writes ELIZA REILLY.

2 min read
April 4, 2023 - 11:14PM
Irishwoman Joanne Cregg is one of a number of exciting players drafted to Fremantle. Picture: Supplied

Irishwoman Joanne Cregg is one of a number of exciting players drafted to Fremantle. Picture: Supplied

Fremantle needed two things from the AFLW supplementary draft: key position depth and young talent.
They got both with one pick to spare.

Tahleah Mulder is the big bolter. The 21-year-old midfielder is just four games into her WAFLW career after making the switch from Perth Football League outfit Piara Waters to South Fremantle.
Bulldog by name and nature, Mulder attacks every contest with volition and velocity. She’s known for her second efforts, she leads the WAFLW in contested possessions and her turn of speed is like lightning.

Kiara Bowers is an outright star but Mulder now gets to serve one of the most sought after apprenticeships in the competition.
“Tahleah is certainly a tough inside midfielder, she has got a really good burst of speed and it’s quite similar to the way Hayley Miller plays,” coach Lisa Webb said.
Mulder has been compared to one of the Dockers’ best Hayley Miller. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images

Mulder has been compared to one of the Dockers’ best Hayley Miller. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images

“She’s strong over the ball, but probably what stood out for me is her delivery inside 50, which is something that is always going to help us score.
“She’s been really brave and strong in the contests I’ve seen her go into, having that strong contested ball winner is something we have been really looking at.”
Nikki Gore and Dana East have had their moments in the midfield. Mulder might just shake-up the pecking order.
Next, Fremantle opted for height. Emmelie Fiedler is another to graduate from the Perth Football League. The 187 centimetre ruck leads the WAFLW for hitouts, a statistic that Mim Strom doesn’t exactly dominate.
Strom is more akin to an extra midfielder. She can win the footy around the ground and she can generally nullify opposition rucks. Fiedler, while raw, could give Fremantle the opportunity to win the ruck battle. At 20, she’s the perfect balance of height and youth.
“We have been looking for a tall and what stood out with her was her finesse in her ruck taps,” Webb said. “She will be a really good addition to our talls and is still learning the game, so she is really keen to keep developing her ruck craft.”

Jae Flynn slots into Fremantle’s targeted age profile at 24. She’s quick, athletic and skillful and can play at halfback or on a wing. The Dockers lacked outside run last season and Ebony Antonio has at least one, if not two, years left so Flynn can fill that hole.
“Her game awareness is great and she has shown the ability to make some big tackles, but also her skills and ability to execute a role within a structure is really good,” Webb added.
And with its final pick, Fremantle took a chance on some Irish x-factor.
Joanne Cregg is raw but powerful. She’s got a long kick, speed and an understanding of semi-professional sport after playing Gaelic at a high level.

“You barely see her walking and she is constantly moving at the stoppage, whether that is receiving a tap off the ruck or whether that is covering the ground to get back and help or get forward and kick a goal,” Webb said.
This draft was about finding diamonds in the rough.
Mulder, Fiedler, Flynn and Cregg have the potential to form a necklace.

Given the rapidly evolving nature of women's footy, there's plenty of potential at the older picks and those coming through the lower competitions.

It's still quite different from the established pathways for the juniors etc in the male side of the game, where fewer slip through the extensive potential-identification process. So there's a case to be made for being hopeful.

Getting in older picks could be quite handy if they're quick to come on, given the way our list has been raided.

Happy with this lot. Id say three of them didn't nominate for this draft previously and will all add to depth. if any step up and have an impact then we've won what is a heavily impacted draft

Also i love how the player drop over to see them after getting drafted. What a great club!

And really happy for Jasmin Stewart!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back