Women's Footy AFLW season 2023 - Season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

What Is Going On Here GIF by Catfish MTV

Barnum And Bailey Circus GIF

cooper deserved to be sacked because he didn’t get enough out of the list but it’s a list that’s also filled with players who are washed up? doesn’t compute

Long time fan first time commenter. Apparently the line about players leaving has been completely blown out of context. One player might've said something of that nature as a veiled threat but it's not like half the list will leave. No player should be bigger than the club IMO.

No player should be bigger than the club and I don’t think players should be choosing the coach as that is dangerous in itself.
But, players should be free to leave clubs that don’t align with their values and that is what we could unfortunately be seeing here, particularly with the AFL coming up with the ridiculous ruling that anyone can break an existing contract.

Fremantle is poised to be led by a female AFLW coach for the first time since 2018 as the two remaining candidates undergo their final interviews this week.
As revealed by CODE sports, former player and assistant Lisa Webb remains in contention. It is understood Webb, who was targeted by Fremantle to take part in their process, is set to be interviewed one final time by the club’s selection panel in the next two days.

Should she claim the job, Webb would become the second former AFLW player to graduate to the role of senior coach, following in the footsteps of Port Adelaide’s Lauren Arnell.

Lisa Webb is one of two candidates left for the vacant Dockers AFLW job. Picture: Will Russell/Getty Images

Lisa Webb is one of two candidates left for the vacant Dockers AFLW job. Picture: Will Russell/Getty Images
CODE Sports also understands that revered WA football figure Martene Pearman has been linked to the role. Pearman is already well known at the Dockers, serving as an assistant coach during the first two AFLW seasons.

The former Coastal Titans coach also mentored several current Fremantle players on their journey to the AFLW, including midfield star Kiara Bowers. Pearman was an assistant coach at Melbourne during a series of AFLW exhibition games and she has led WA state open teams and also been crowned the Subiaco District Coach of the Year.

More recently, Pearman has worked in Subiaco’s men’s program under WAFL premiership coach Jarrad Schofield and his equally successful successor Beau Wardman.

Pearman has been an assistant coach of Subiaco men's team in the WAFL. Picture: Supplied

Pearman has been an assistant coach of Subiaco men's team in the WAFL. Picture: Supplied
Pearman is just the second female coach to serve in the state league. It is expected the successful applicant will be revealed in the coming days and follow in the footsteps of inaugural Dockers coach Michelle Cowan, who was the first female WAFL coach.

Fremantle had hoped to appoint a female successor to sacked coach Trent Cooper as the playing group attempt to bounce back from a three-win season.

Not having the women's season is really making the off season drag

I'm worried they've sent the women's league to die by playing it when most are getting footy fatigue
Yep, I know that me and the fam went to more games when they were this time of year compared to the end of the year.

Carlton now also in the hunt for a coach.
Being located in Victoria, it would be a more attractive proposition for Webb with her family situation if she was considered a suitable candidate by them.
I’d suggest we have to act really fast if we want to get her.

Carlton now also in the hunt for a coach.
Being located in Victoria, it would be a more attractive proposition for Webb with her family situation if she was considered a suitable candidate by them.
I’d suggest we have to act really fast if we want to get her.
Webb isn't in demand by anyone but our players

Highly doubt Carlton are going for her

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaching ...

As revealed by CODE Sports last week, former player and assistant Lisa Webb and revered WA football figure Martene Pearman remain in the running for the coveted position.

Webb, a midfield coach at the Western Bulldogs, was targeted by Fremantle to take part in their interview process. However, she faces a difficult decision given her husband, Marc, also works at the Bulldogs and the Dockers role would require her to move back to Perth, splitting the Webb family, including kids Ollie and Leo.

Pearman has extensive coaching experience at AFLW, WAFL and state level.

It is understood a third candidate also progressed as Fremantle seek to replace sacked coach Trent Cooper. It comes as AFLW coaches met yesterday to reflect on season seven and prepare for season eight.

Webb didn’t apply and the club are still trying to convince her to do it as they didn’t find anyone good enough who did apply.
Quite a few of the players trained in a session run by Murphy on Tuesday night, is he an option if Webb says no.

Club must have thought we would be way more desirable

Coaching options are still very raw at aflw, there has been a revolving door of coaches at most clubs

I wasn't convinced before and certainly aren't convinced now that we will find someone better than Cooper

Not having the women's season is really making the off season drag

I'm worried they've sent the women's league to die by playing it when most are getting footy fatigue
Yeah, it's a good point. Although that being said, maybe the girls are thankful they don't have to play in the potential searing heat of February Perth.

I doubt playing wet weather footy in Aug is better though and could REALLY hurt the women's game which is still developing and pretty raw skill-wise as it stands.

Something about a rock and a hard place...

That's great, but hopefully, it's not the tail wagging the dog. Apparently, the players wanted Webb and threatened leaving if she didn't get it.

Hopefully, the players strong support is because she's good not just because she's a mate.

Feel for Martene Pearman. Obviously a quality coach with a good CV . Surprised she hasn't appeared somewhere in a coaching panel for AFLW

Webbs always been my daughters favourite player (no idea why) so she's gonna be delighted.

We've had two retirements so be interesting to see how many they dont re-sign especially with this compromised draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back