Women's Footy AFLW season 2023 - Season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

The coaching news has gone very quiet. Either nobody good enough has applied through SEEK or the people making the decision are on holidays and aren’t doing anything til they get back.

The coaching news has gone very quiet. Either nobody good enough has applied through SEEK or the people making the decision are on holidays and aren’t doing anything til they get back.
Probably the later, everyone deserves a break, expect a decision shortly after they return (I believe there was plenty of interest)

What's the story with the next season?! Will it be held in Aug again, there's been no de-listings that I'm aware of (not that I enjoy or advocate for de-listings mind you!), and no mention of a draft etc....

Clearly it's too soon to start Feb, I would assume..?!?! There's nothing about it I can find...

Claremont WAFLW coach Jack Schwarze listed as applicant for the coaching position in todays West.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Lisa Webb is now the front runner for the role.
She’s very popular with the players and her appointment would help keep everyone at the club.
She didn’t apply for the job but after Roughead fell through and the applications through SEEK didn’t find anything worthy, Webb was approached.

An assistant coaching role for hubby might not compete with senior coaching money for Webby
Would have been a big move to Vic though and then to comeback only a year later

I do wonder how the senior role for the womens compares to an assistant for the mens side though, wouldn't be much difference I suspect, Cooper was also a teacher and had side gigs with Tabtouch and Thewest

The soft cap for the men used to be ten times higher than that for the women (couldn’t find current soft cap when I tried to) so I’d be pretty sure that AFL assistant coaches are getting paid a lot more than AFLW head coaches.
A lot of the AFLW assistants (including Cooper) were part-time last year and had other jobs.
So you’d think Webb would have to do some teaching or be paid a lot more to make the move back.

The soft cap for the men used to be ten times higher than that for the women (couldn’t find current soft cap when I tried to) so I’d be pretty sure that AFL assistant coaches are getting paid a lot more than AFLW head coaches.
A lot of the AFLW assistants (including Cooper) were part-time last year and had other jobs.
So you’d think Webb would have to do some teaching or be paid a lot more to make the move back.
Yeah I was gonna say that but didn't was worried I may have had poor judgement, aflw coaches would be more for the love of the game types right now, very likely to men's assistants get more money

Someone from Freo’s AFLW playing group keeps leaking to Eliza Reilly.

I don’t have a problem with it, I love leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy the leaks because it means we are getting the information quickly when the club aren’t giving out any (which they shouldn’t be).
But it doesn’t look like the culture is good if players do feel the need to talk about what should be only internal matters.

Sacking Cooper is looking worse by the day

Noone wants to coach us, only people we seem to have interviewed are waflw coaches

Players are threatening to walk if Webb isn't appointed and the only other candidate is unnamed

Why did we sack cooper if we had no plan?

Noone wants to coach us, only people we seem to have interviewed are waflw coaches

Players are threatening to walk if Webb isn't appointed and the only other candidate is unnamed

Let them walk, most of them are old and washed up anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully what will attract a top calibre coach is the management committing to an increase in resources to the side. The club really needs to be boots'n'all in the game.

Can't change that now. It's what they do from here on out that's the shizzle, either it's mitigation or reinforcement, but it's got to be committed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back