AFLW Suns AFLW Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Hampson is best friends with Jade Ellenger from the Lions so she has that connection already.. I still have faith in her though that she will stay with the Suns.

Hampson is best friends with Jade Ellenger from the Lions so she has that connection already.. I still have faith in her though that she will stay with the Suns.
I thought that about Molloy and Lambert (and Chiocci) who are likely on the move.
Basically dont let anything surprise you this off season lol People move for all different reasons

As previously revealed by womens.afl, the club's own former AFLW leading goalkicker Caitlin Greiser is tipped to head to Richmond. That could unlock a deal for Wardlaw, with Gold Coast also likely to become involved in another three-club trade.

Suns midfielder Ellie Hampson has been tipped to head to the Lions as part of the Wardlaw move, while Serene Watson and Saints defender Clara Fitzpatrick could also be involved to make it happen.

The Tigers are also likely to be busy and could land Courtney Jones from the Suns, while Swans midfielder

As previously revealed by womens.afl, the club's own former AFLW leading goalkicker Caitlin Greiser is tipped to head to Richmond. That could unlock a deal for Wardlaw, with Gold Coast also likely to become involved in another three-club trade.

Suns midfielder Ellie Hampson has been tipped to head to the Lions as part of the Wardlaw move, while Serene Watson and Saints defender Clara Fitzpatrick could also be involved to make it happen.

The Tigers are also likely to be busy and could land Courtney Jones from the Suns, while Swans midfielder

So lose 3 players and gain 1?

Smith was actually traded to Brisbane after they targeted her. The media were talking about Heslop going to Brisbane even before we delisted her so I think that was pre-arranged. The Lyons situation was dodgy as hell because he waited until after the trade period ended to ask to be delisted and then joins Brisbane for free. Ah Chee was supposed to be a part of our young crop of talent that would take us up the ladder as a former top 10 pick but the Lions presented him with an offer he couldn't refuse and our salary cap was not in order back then so we couldn't match it.

Losing Hampson would be a big blow IMO.
Taylor Smith was 100% going to be delisted. She was on our club podcast when she first came to Brisbane, and clearly said that the Suns told her they were not going to offer her a new contract. I can't remember the exact specifics of why we ended up trading for her, but it was explained at the time.

I agree losing Hampson is a blow for the Suns. She is exactly the type of mid we need.

You'd think some draft picks involved.
I commented on our board, the picks that have currently been traded are in the up coming mature age draft. Doesn't appear to be anything close appropriate compensation.

Seeing as it is a mature age draft, neither Brisbane or Gold Coast will be drafting out of our academies, so we may be drafting from an open QLD pool. It might actually mean something to hold the first couple of picks in the QLD pool for once.

Taylor Smith was 100% going to be delisted. She was on our club podcast when she first came to Brisbane, and clearly said that the Suns told her they were not going to offer her a new contract. I can't remember the exact specifics of why we ended up trading for her, but it was explained at the time.

I agree losing Hampson is a blow for the Suns. She is exactly the type of mid we need.

40:10 mark. "Potentially going to be delisted" as she says IS NOT "100% going to be delisted" as you say. Considering Taylor went back to the QAFLW with Bond Uni and won the leading goalkicker award after that first AFLW season with us, I'm pretty confident we would have retained her had we not already agreed to trade her to the Lions. You don't delist the leading goalkicker in the QAFLW. The trade had already been agreed to before her exceptional QAFLW form became obvious and we obviously would have retained her if Brisbane didn't come to the party. The timing of it all really played in Brisbane's favour but I fail to believe we actually would have delisted her knowing what she was about to do in the QAFLW.

I'm starting to think Hampson is heading to the Lions. I really hope I'm wrong but I just think there's too much media reporting on it for it to not happen.

40:10 mark. "Potentially going to be delisted" as she says IS NOT "100% going to be delisted" as you say. Considering Taylor went back to the QAFLW with Bond Uni and won the leading goalkicker award after that first AFLW season with us, I'm pretty confident we would have retained her had we not already agreed to trade her to the Lions. You don't delist the leading goalkicker in the QAFLW. The trade had already been agreed to before her exceptional QAFLW form became obvious and we obviously would have retained her if Brisbane didn't come to the party. The timing of it all really played in Brisbane's favour but I fail to believe we actually would have delisted her knowing what she was about to do in the QAFLW.

I'm starting to think Hampson is heading to the Lions. I really hope I'm wrong but I just think there's too much media reporting on it for it to not happen.
Wrong episode. Try this one, start at the 9:50 minute mark.

Wrong episode. Try this one, start at the 9:50 minute mark.

She's told two very different stories in those podcasts but fair enough, she did say pretty clearly in that podcast that the Suns cut her.

I still maintain we never actually delisted her, which makes me think there's more to the story that we're not being told. I feel the same way about the Jarryd Lyons delisting and the way it all came together AFTER the trade period ended. There's definitely more to that story that we were never told, despite what Lyons or the two clubs might state publicly.

I also maintain that it makes zero sense to trade the reigning QAFLW leading goalkicker, but unfortunately the AFLW trade period that year occurred during the QAFLW season and we weren't able to see the way Taylor kicked on in that AFLW season before making a final decision on whether we should retain her. The timing of everything played against us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She's told two very different stories in those podcasts but fair enough, she did say pretty clearly in that podcast that the Suns cut her.

I still maintain we never actually delisted her, which makes me think there's more to the story that we're not being told. I feel the same way about the Jarryd Lyons delisting and the way it all came together AFTER the trade period ended. There's definitely more to that story that we were never told, despite what Lyons or the two clubs might state publicly.

I also maintain that it makes zero sense to trade the reigning QAFLW leading goalkicker, but unfortunately the AFLW trade period that year occurred during the QAFLW season and we weren't able to see the way Taylor kicked on in that AFLW season before making a final decision on whether we should retain her. The timing of everything played against us.
Her first interview she went in to depth about things. It's quite clear that between injury and illness, she wasn't able to give it a proper go. Suns told her they were going to delist her. Covid hit, the AFLW shut down, and we didn't get the normal end of season review, delistings and trade period etc. As Taylor mentioned, we couldn't take her in the draft, having committed to our three academy girls, but a list spot opened up (I think it's because Sharni Webb found out she was pregnant and took 2021 off), so we had to trade for her.

Second interview she didn't have to go over old ground, but she clearly said that she thought she might not play AFLW again, right before the rest of the sentence you quoted.

You can maintain what ever you want and think there's more to a story than what appears on the surface.

As for Lyons, it's been well documented here on your forum that Lyons and Dew had a falling out, he was told by Dew that he was most likely going to spend the remainder of his contract playing reserves. If Lyons pulled one over Dew and by extension the club, blame Dews poor man management skills. This was discussed in depth here on this page at the time, by some of your posters with inside word.

You don't work for your club, so you don't have to defend it's every action. I criticise my club a shed load, doesn't make me support them any less. I've criticised Fagan's selection policy at times (especially last season when he kept playing a clearly injured Lyons), I criticise how our academy is run (a lot), I really criticised our recruiters poor pick trading from 2019 to 2021 (we were really bad at positioning our picks right where bids were expected for our academy kids).

Her first interview she went in to depth about things. It's quite clear that between injury and illness, she wasn't able to give it a proper go. Suns told her they were going to delist her. Covid hit, the AFLW shut down, and we didn't get the normal end of season review, delistings and trade period etc. As Taylor mentioned, we couldn't take her in the draft, having committed to our three academy girls, but a list spot opened up (I think it's because Sharni Webb found out she was pregnant and took 2021 off), so we had to trade for her.

Second interview she didn't have to go over old ground, but she clearly said that she thought she might not play AFLW again, right before the rest of the sentence you quoted.

You can maintain what ever you want and think there's more to a story than what appears on the surface.
Except we did delist players in August that year. We delisted Tayla Thorn, Georgia Breward, Kitara Whap-Farrar, Lexi Hamilton and Maddy Roberts. So why wasn't Taylor delisted if we had already made up our mind that she was getting delisted? You didn't have to take her in the draft if she had been delisted because the delisted free agency mechanism existed then (see Tarnee Tester's move from West Coast to Fremantle). It can't have been a list size issue either because you didn't send a player back our way in return for Taylor and the Sharni Webb announcement came later on in mid-December when she was replaced by Beth Pinchin. The facts just don't add up with the story that's being told...

As for Lyons, it's been well documented here on your forum that Lyons and Dew had a falling out, he was told by Dew that he was most likely going to spend the remainder of his contract playing reserves. If Lyons pulled one over Dew and by extension the club, blame Dews poor man management skills. This was discussed in depth here on this page at the time, by some of your posters with inside word.
It also came out in the most recent trade period that Jarryd Lyons moving was a salary dump on our behalf, despite the bizarre story being told publicly. We've been systematically carrying out salary dumps over the last few years with Lyons, Brodie and Bowes being moved on and players like Macpherson and Fiorini smoothing their contracts over multiple years. So yes, I think there's definitely more to the Jarryd Lyons story that we haven't been told and the suspicious circumstances in which he was supposedly moved on just add to that belief.

You don't work for your club, so you don't have to defend it's every action. I criticise my club a shed load, doesn't make me support them any less. I've criticised Fagan's selection policy at times (especially last season when he kept playing a clearly injured Lyons), I criticise how our academy is run (a lot), I really criticised our recruiters poor pick trading from 2019 to 2021 (we were really bad at positioning our picks right where bids were expected for our academy kids).
I don't defend every action the club undertakes. One of my recent criticisms of the club is the constant selection of Caleb Graham when I don't believe he's earned his spot and I feel there are better players available. I was also very critical of our initial list build last month and not a lot of fellow Suns posters appreciated that opinion. To say I don't criticise my club just isn't true but if you can't handle a difference of a opinion on a particular topic then you're probably on the wrong medium to discuss footy. The whole point of a forum is for people to give their opinions and discuss/debate topics. We're not going to see eye-to-eye on certain topics and that's completely fine because that's the exact reason a website like this exists. If we agreed on every topic then there would be no need for a discussion.

Except we did delist players in August that year. We delisted Tayla Thorn, Georgia Breward, Kitara Whap-Farrar, Lexi Hamilton and Maddy Roberts. So why wasn't Taylor delisted if we had already made up our mind that she was getting delisted? You didn't have to take her in the draft if she had been delisted because the delisted free agency mechanism existed then (see Tarnee Tester's move from West Coast to Fremantle). It can't have been a list size issue either because you didn't send a player back our way in return for Taylor and the Sharni Webb announcement came later on in mid-December when she was replaced by Beth Pinchin. The facts just don't add up with the story that's being told...

It also came out in the most recent trade period that Jarryd Lyons moving was a salary dump on our behalf, despite the bizarre story being told publicly. We've been systematically carrying out salary dumps over the last few years with Lyons, Brodie and Bowes being moved on and players like Macpherson and Fiorini smoothing their contracts over multiple years. So yes, I think there's definitely more to the Jarryd Lyons story that we haven't been told and the suspicious circumstances in which he was supposedly moved on just add to that belief.

I don't defend every action the club undertakes. One of my recent criticisms of the club is the constant selection of Caleb Graham when I don't believe he's earned his spot and I feel there are better players available. I was also very critical of our initial list build last month and not a lot of fellow Suns posters appreciated that opinion. To say I don't criticise my club just isn't true but if you can't handle a difference of an opinion on a particular topic then you're probably on the wrong medium to discuss footy. The whole point of a forum is for people to give their opinions and discuss/debate topics. We're not going to see eye-to-eye on certain topics and that's completely fine because that's the exact reason a website like this exists. If we agreed on every topic then there would be no need for a discussion.
Of course you’re allowed to have an opinion.

It’s wrong though in this instance.

The original opinion I replied, as did others, is that Brisbane steal Gold Coast players, particularly the 4 you listed.

My opinion is that we haven’t.

Two you delisted, a third you were going to delist, but we traded for her anyway, and the fourth you offered a small contract to an out of contract, underperforming (relative to his draft position) player.

You could have matched our offer for Ah Chee, but (probably wisely) chose not to.

Of course you’re allowed to have an opinion.

It’s wrong though in this instance.
From your perspective, yes.

From my perspective, there was more to the story with Smith and Lyons that leads me to believe they were stolen under suspicious circumstances. As for Ah Chee, I would have thought offering a player more money to get them to switch to a rival club would fall under the category of 'stealing' them. We heard for years from the Geelong supporters that we 'stole' Gary Ablett Jr.

I'll give you Dee Heslop though. She moved to Brisbane for work so I think switching clubs was more a move of convenience for her and we didn't seem overly keen on retaining her anyway. So I'll retract my statement that Heslop was stolen.

From your perspective, yes.

From my perspective, there was more to the story with Smith and Lyons that leads me to believe they were stolen under suspicious circumstances. As for Ah Chee, I would have thought offering a player more money to get them to switch to a rival club would fall under the category of 'stealing' them. We heard for years from the Geelong supporters that we 'stole' Gary Ablett Jr.

I'll give you Dee Heslop though. She moved to Brisbane for work so I think switching clubs was more a move of convenience for her and we didn't seem overly keen on retaining her anyway. So I'll retract my statement that Heslop was stolen.
You said yourself that the Suns said Lyons was a salary dump.

Posters here with a very good track record of insider information, so I’m told, said that Lyons and Dew had a big falling out, and that Lyons was told to try and find another club.

There was nothing suspicious about Lyons move, and that’s coming from a heap of Suns posters here at the time.

Did he in effect walk out on the club, yes. But he was told to go and find a new club by the head coach. He just did it in a way that didn’t benefit the Suns.

There’s a BIG difference in offering a player a million bucks (or close to it) per season over multiple seasons, and offering a player a one year contract close to the minimum salary, and telling him you’ll reassess where he’s at in 12 months time.

Ah Chee was looking out for himself and his family (he had just married a local girl and wanted to stay in QLD).

I mean this sounds like a steal on paper.

Who would be the men's comparison to this? Not trying to be sexist just trying to get a handle on how it effects us.

What kind of calibre of player are we getting here?
If you wish, she would be the equivalent of the winner of the AFL’s Players Association mvp. If you want a male player comparison, Lachie Neale.

I mean this sounds like a steal on paper.

Who would be the men's comparison to this? Not trying to be sexist just trying to get a handle on how it effects us.

What kind of calibre of player are we getting here?
It looks like she's actually a soccer convert from a few year ago, which makes her achievements in the GAA all the more impressive. So this will be the third sport she plays at the highest level and at 29 years of age, she may well have a decent amount of years left in her. She's the current captain of Donegal in the GAA so that would suggest strong leadership qualities as well and I can't see this being anything but a positive for our young side. Brilliant acquisition.

It looks like she's actually a soccer convert from a few year ago, which makes her achievements in the GAA all the more impressive. So this will be the third sport she plays at the highest level and at 29 years of age, she may well have a decent amount of years left in her. She's the current captain of Donegal in the GAA so that would suggest strong leadership qualities as well and I can't see this being anything but a positive for our young side. Brilliant acquisition.
Sounds like a good acquisition, absolutely.

When you’ve probably made very little money playing Gaelic in Ireland why wouldn’t you take up an offer to get paid a decent wage to live and work on the brilliant, warm and sunny Gold Coast.

Good on the club for their ambitions here. Look forward to seeing her play!

GOLD Coast sisters Maddi and Teagan Levi will sit out another AFLW season, having committed to rugby sevens until at least the conclusion of the Paris Olympics.

With the Olympics to be held in late July-early August 2024, there remains a hope the talented pair will skip AFLW pre-season and suit up for the Suns following the Games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back