AFLW Suns AFLW Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Just remove them from the inactive list altogether. I am tired of them.
I agree, remove them from the inactive list, and give the opportunity so someone else who can come in and give 100% to the Club, but I'm no way tired of them. I applaud them for following their dream and getting to represent their Country all around the world.....doesn't get any better than that, especially for someone in their early 20's.

EDIT: Apparently remaining on the inactive list doesn't deny others an opportunity, as it doesn't affect the playing list.

Last edited:

I agree, remove them from the inactive list, and give the opportunity so someone else who can come in and give 100% to the Club, but I'm no way tired of them. I applaud them for following their dream and getting to represent their Country all around the world.....doesn't get any better than that, especially for someone in their early 20's.
Just a couple of thoughts.

As far as I’m aware, there’s no limits on how many players you can have on the inactive list, and it doesn’t take away an active list spot. Nor are they being paid atm.

If you delist them, and they do come back to footy, they can sign with any club, so both could walk to the Lions (or any other team).

Oh wow. Can't blame her for wanting to come back to be near her family.
That sucks.

Medullary thyroid cancer in a child occurs usually as part of a particular autosomal dominant genetic syndrome. If confirmed, the family will all need genetic testing.

Good on her for going back to be with family. There may be more fall out beyond this for the extended family.

Just a couple of thoughts.

As far as I’m aware, there’s no limits on how many players you can have on the inactive list, and it doesn’t take away an active list spot. Nor are they being paid atm.

If you delist them, and they do come back to footy, they can sign with any club, so both could walk to the Lions (or any other team).
So if I'm reading that right, leave them as inactive and we're no worse off.......if that is so, then that enables them to return if it suit the Suns needs at the time.

I read an article with madi a few weeks ago saying she won’t be playing AFLw I will try find it

Edit.
I misread

Last edited:
That sucks.

Medullary thyroid cancer in a child occurs usually as part of a particular autosomal dominant genetic syndrome. If confirmed, the family will all need genetic testing.

Good on her for going back to be with family. There may be more fall out beyond this for the extended family.

it was heart breaking reading the article.

i'm sure that the club and players will get around her and give all the support that Courtney and her family needs.

Courtney and her family are in good hands.

So if I'm reading that right, leave them as inactive and we're no worse off.......if that is so, then that enables them to return if it suit the Suns needs at the time.
I believe so. As much and as frustrating as it is them being inactive all the time, if we just delist them or not offer them a contract, if they decide to return to AFLW some other could get them and both players would definitely lift any AFLW side.

Oh wow. Can't blame her for wanting to come back to be near her family.
Yeah pretty heartbreaking stuff there. I’m sure both the Suns and now her new club will support her and the family. She had to come home. It really puts things into perspective. All the best at the Tigers, Courts!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood could lose another AFLW player to an opposition club, with forward Jordan Membrey eyeing a move to Gold Coast.
Membrey, 27, is keen to return to her home state of Queensland after 23 games in four years for the Magpies.

Having started her career at the Brisbane Lions – playing in the 2017 grand final loss to Adelaide – Membrey moved to the Pies, topping the club’s goalkicking and gaining a reputation as one of the league’s most accurate shots for goal.

She missed all of season six following a knee reconstruction but returned to play 10 matches in season seven before being dropped for the finals.

The Suns have interested in Membrey, who would help fill the void left by Courtney Jones’ departure for Richmond.

I wish her nothing but the best.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Collingwood could lose another AFLW player to an opposition club, with forward Jordan Membrey eyeing a move to Gold Coast.
Membrey, 27, is keen to return to her home state of Queensland after 23 games in four years for the Magpies.

Having started her career at the Brisbane Lions – playing in the 2017 grand final loss to Adelaide – Membrey moved to the Pies, topping the club’s goalkicking and gaining a reputation as one of the league’s most accurate shots for goal.

She missed all of season six following a knee reconstruction but returned to play 10 matches in season seven before being dropped for the finals.

The Suns have interested in Membrey, who would help fill the void left by Courtney Jones’ departure for Richmond.

Full circle for Jordan?? She was our captain in our first women’s team for the AFLW Winter series back in 2018.

Full circle for Jordan?? She was our captain in our first women’s team for the AFLW Winter series back in 2018.
Bit of a feel good story with Jordan being one of our juniors coming home after several years at one of the big Melbourne clubs. Nice surprise to get one coming back the other way for once. If she can recapture her 2020 form where she kicked 7 goals in 7 games then then we've essentially replaced Jones with a like for like goalkicker.

Last edited:
I guess losing two players but gaining 4 (including a pick) isn't a bad thing but shattering that two players a massive part of our Suns AFLW culture and that are both young and looking likely to be key parts of our AFLW charge to finals and possibly a premiership are now out the door. Really shattered!

I guess losing two players but gaining 4 (including a pick) isn't a bad thing but shattering that two players a massive part of our Suns AFLW culture and that are both young and looking likely to be key parts of our AFLW charge to finals and possibly a premiership are now out the door. Really shattered!
I believe we lost 7 players - 2 retired (Scott, Atkins), 2 delisted (Pregelj, Groves-Little), 3 in trade (Jones, Hampson, Watson) and gained 4 players - Brancatisano, Membrey, Fitzpatrick, Marer.

Still 3 list spots available for draft?

AFLW players who have been listed for for both QLD clubs
Molly Ritson (BL 2018, GCS 2020-2021)
Kalinda Howarth (BL 2018, GCS 2020-Present)
Jamie Stanton (BL 2017-2018, GCS 2020-Present)
Tori Groves-Little (BL 2019, GCS 2020-2022 S7)
Paige Parker (BL 2019, GCS 2020-2021)
Sam Virgo (BL 2017-2019, GCS 2020-2021)
Jacqui Yorston (BL 2019, GCS 2020-2022 S7)
Lauren Bella (BL 2019, GCS 2020-Present)
Leah Kaslar (BL 2017-2019, GCS 2020-Present)
Emma Pittman (BL 2018-2019, GCS 2020-
Taylor Smith (GCS 2020, BL 2021-Present)
Dee Heslop (GCS 2020-2022, BL 2022 S7-Present)
Ellie Hampson (GCS 2020-2022 S7, BL 2023-Present)

I believe we lost 7 players - 2 retired (Scott, Atkins), 2 delisted (Pregelj, Groves-Little), 3 in trade (Jones, Hampson, Watson) and gained 4 players - Brancatisano, Membrey, Fitzpatrick, Marer.

Still 3 list spots available for draft?
We have picks 6, 10, 28 and 46 in the Draft.

There was also talk we might be getting Niamh McLaughlin from Ireland too.

We have picks 6, 10, 28 and 46 in the Draft.

There was also talk we might be getting Niamh McLaughlin from Ireland too.
Yeah, I forgot about McLaughlin. So we could be using only 2 picks unless more trades will happen (deadline on Mon March 20).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back