AFLW Suns AFLW Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see Southport and Bond Uni get off to really strong starts in round 1 of the 2023 QAFLW season last week and both sit atop the ladder right now. Southport won their grand final rematch against UQ at Springfield by 89 points and Bond University beat Maroochydore by 98 points at home. Our most recent draftee Darcie Davies kicked two goals for Southport in their big win. Quite a few of our academy stars (like Havana Harris) played in the QAFLW last weekend too.

Captain Tara Bohanna will lead the SUNS for the second consecutive season after being appointed ahead of Season Seven, during which the SUNS recorded its best AFLW win-loss record.

Bohanna will be deputised by vice-captains Bess Keaney, who has previously held leadership roles at the club, and a new addition to the leadership group in versatile tall Jac Dupuy.

Dupuy received the Season Seven Coach’s Award and has been an exemplar of professionalism both on and off the field during two seasons at the SUNS.

The four-person leadership group also includes another previous Coach’s Award winner in Claudia Whitfort. The 23-year-old, who has been part of the SUNS emerging leaders cohort, finished third in the club’s best and fairest count in Season Seven and earns her first official leadership position ahead of her third season on the Gold Coast.
Gold Coast SUNS AFLW Leadership Group

Tara Bohanna - Captain
Bess Keaney - Vice-captain
Jac Dupuy - Vice-captain
Claudia Whitfort

Great Barrier Reef Arena' redevelopment is now complete
GBRA-aerial1.jpg

Great Barrier Reef Arena' redevelopment is now complete
GBRA-aerial1.jpg
What's the capacity now? 10k-ish?

Looks like it might be just big enough to host AFL games now. I wonder if we'll see both of our pro teams playing there soon.

It's good timing considering Mackay product Harry Arnold just got drafted to the Swans in the MSD last week.

What's the capacity now? 10k-ish?

Looks like it might be just big enough to host AFL games now. I wonder if we'll see both of our pro teams playing there soon.

It's good timing considering Mackay product Harry Arnold just got drafted to the Swans in the MSD last week.
The only way we would be playing in North Queensland is if the councils offer close to the money we are getting by taking the games to Darwin.

If the Suns make the Grand Final and hosting it will be at Brighton Homes Arena.

I think it’s because the AFLW Grand Final is the last weekend of November and Spilt Milk Music Festival is at Heritage Bank Stadium.

Unlike last season, when the potential Grand Final venues were not finalised until nine days before the decider, Grand Final venues have been locked in for all 18 teams, should they earn hosting rights by being the highest-placed finisher. The possible Grand Final venues are:

• Alberton Oval: Port Adelaide
  • Norwood Oval: Adelaide
  • Brighton Homes Arena: Brisbane and Gold Coast
  • Fremantle Oval: Fremantle
  • GMHBA Stadium: Geelong
  • Henson Park: GWS and Sydney
  • Leederville Oval: West Coast
  • Ikon Park: Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and Western Bulldogs

Last edited:

If the Suns make the Grand Final and hosting it will be at Brighton Homes Arena.

I think it’s because the AFLW Grand Final is the last weekend of November and Spilt Milk Music Festival is at Heritage Bank Stadium.

Unlike last season, when the potential Grand Final venues were not finalised until nine days before the decider, Grand Final venues have been locked in for all 18 teams, should they earn hosting rights by being the highest-placed finisher. The possible Grand Final venues are:

• Alberton Oval: Port Adelaide
  • Norwood Oval: Adelaide
  • Brighton Homes Arena: Brisbane and Gold Coast
  • Fremantle Oval: Fremantle
  • GMHBA Stadium: Geelong
  • Henson Park: GWS and Sydney
  • Leederville Oval: West Coast
  • Ikon Park: Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda and Western Bulldogs
I think its more to do with the fact they are trying to limit big stadiums.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was reading this article and noticing Richmond plucking young players from Western Australia.. Quoting AFLW recruiting manager.

Do you reckon we have such a role?

It looks like Lions girls are giving a lesson to our girls again (like last year pre-season game).
43:2 end of 3rd quarter.

Did we progress at all? Let's see how regular season goes before jumping to conclusions. But who knows, maybe we do need another new coach? :p

50:2 final score.

Last edited:
The Gold Coast SUNS have made an update to its AFLW list with Kaylee Kimber placed on the inactive list for the upcoming season.

As reported last week, Kimber has suffered a stress fracture in her foot which is expected to sideline her for an extended period.

The 19-year-old SUNS Academy product from Moranbah, approximately 200km south-west of Mackay, made her AFLW debut in Season Seven, playing three games and kicking her maiden goal.

gold-coast.jpg

B: V.Saad, L.Ahrens
HB: W.Randell, C.Fitzpatrick, D.D'Arcy
C: A.Gee, C.Whitfort, B.Keaney
HF: K.Howarth, J.Dupuy, J.Stanton
F: T.Bohanna, J.Membrey
Foll: L.Bella, C.Rowbottom, A.Drennan
I/C: N.McLaughlin, D.Davies, M.Brancatisano, L.Single, T.Meyer

Depth: G.Davies, G.Clayden, A.Bush, C.McCrossan, G.Biedenweg-Webster, M.Girvan, E.Maurer, J.Smith

As the Suns search for more outside run to complement the contested work of Charlie Rowbottom and Claudia Whitfort, the availability of Alana Gee on the wing would be a blessing. Also adding to this run is Lucy Single, Tahlia Meyer and Bess Keaney. Irishwoman Niamh McLaughlin looks composed and skilful coming off half back, while Jamie Stanton's return from an ACL injury likely sees her slot in at half forward. Teenager Darcie Davies will provide support to Lauren Bella in the ruck, while also able to aid at either end of the ground, and Jordan Membrey essentially replaces Courtney Jones up forward.

gold-coast.jpg

B: V.Saad, L.Ahrens
HB: W.Randell, C.Fitzpatrick, D.D'Arcy
C: A.Gee, C.Whitfort, B.Keaney
HF: K.Howarth, J.Dupuy, J.Stanton
F: T.Bohanna, J.Membrey
Foll: L.Bella, C.Rowbottom, A.Drennan
I/C: N.McLaughlin, D.Davies, M.Brancatisano, L.Single, T.Meyer

Depth: G.Davies, G.Clayden, A.Bush, C.McCrossan, G.Biedenweg-Webster, M.Girvan, E.Maurer, J.Smith

As the Suns search for more outside run to complement the contested work of Charlie Rowbottom and Claudia Whitfort, the availability of Alana Gee on the wing would be a blessing. Also adding to this run is Lucy Single, Tahlia Meyer and Bess Keaney. Irishwoman Niamh McLaughlin looks composed and skilful coming off half back, while Jamie Stanton's return from an ACL injury likely sees her slot in at half forward. Teenager Darcie Davies will provide support to Lauren Bella in the ruck, while also able to aid at either end of the ground, and Jordan Membrey essentially replaces Courtney Jones up forward.

Finished 9th last year with 5 wins I can’t see where the improvement will come from. List has gone backwards

Finished 9th last year with 5 wins I can’t see where the improvement will come from. List has gone backwards
I don’t follow super closely, so maybe this is off the mark a little..
I know jones was good for us and a pretty consistent avenue to goal so her loss will be felt.

But don’t you reckon that rowbottom has scope to improve further, the Irish import is an unknown but clearly talented sportswomen and Alana gee if she plays will give a huge boost for outside running.

I think there is definite room for improvement.

Most of our initial list players + some recent recruits are just now pushing past 20 and 30 games and coming off their 4th or 5th pre-season. Players should be getting better just by osmosis.
Doubt we are good enough to match the best teams but should be right in the mix for finals.

Our last 3 seasons we have gone 0-9, 3-6-1 and 5-5. Finished 9th last year but 6 points out of the 8.
With the quirky AFLW draw we could be a better and lose more games but at a minimum we should be expecting a hold or a slight improvement.

For those interested, the QAFLW Grand Final is tomorrow between Bond Uni and Aspley. Bond are still looking for that elusive top tier premiership and have several familiar names lining up for them tomorrow including our former captain Leah Kaslar, Alex Sexton's sister Courtney and academy stars Sienna McMullen, Havana Harris and Ava Usher. They are also coached by our former assistant coach Andy Lovell.

Here is the live stream:

Havana Harris got the medal for BOG in today’s Grand Final against Aspley.

Havana Harris got the medal for BOG in today’s Grand Final against Aspley.
Nice to see Bond finally get over the line and claim their first QAFLW flag. Well done to all involved and in particular the former Suns players/coaches.

Harris and Usher will be future stars for us.

GOLD COAST

B:
L.Ahrens 7 D.Davies 3
HB: W.Randell 15 D.D'Arcy 20 N.McLaughlin 11
C: A.Gee 24 C.Whitfort 4 E.Keaney 30
HF: K.Howarth 23 T.Bohanna - C 12 M.Brancatisano 5
F: J.Membrey 21 J.Dupuy 27
Foll: L.Bella 2 C.Rowbottom 8 A.Drennan 33
I/C: M.Girvan 25 C.Fitzpatrick 9 J.Stanton 17 L.Single 13 G.Clayden 18

Emerg: J.Smith 1 G.Biedenweg-Webster 16 T.Meyer 34

New faces: Maddy Brancatisano, Darcie Davies, Clara Fitzpatrick, Alana Gee, Meara Girvan, Niamh McLaughlin, Jordan Membrey
Notable absences: Vivien Saad (calf)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back