AFLW Toast AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

List Changes Summary 2024
Posting the summaries from the OP into a new post so we can pin it.
Publicly known ContractsAdditionsDeletions
Signed on at end 2022 for two years:
  1. Bridget Deed
  2. Mackenzie Eardley
  3. Laura Elliott
  4. Emily Everist
  5. Tahlia Fellows
  6. Jasmine Fleming
  7. Jenna Richardson
  8. Tamara Smith
  9. Lucy Wales
All other players retained for 2024 but
no public announcements have been
made about contract lengths
  1. Sophie Butterworth (draft)
  2. Hayley McLaughlin (pre-signing)
  3. Casey Sheriff (trade, Demons)
  4. Laura Stone (pre-signing)
  5. Jess Vukic (pre-signing)
  6. Eliza West (trade, Demons)
  7. Mikayla Williamson (draft)
  1. Janet Baird (delisted)
  2. Zoe Barbakos (delisted)
  3. Catherine Brown (retired)
  4. Tegan Cunningham (retired)
  5. Tamara Luke (retired)
  6. Akec Makur Chout (retired)
  7. Sarah Perkins (delisted)

Last edited:
Agree with Breed, although she's a bit on and off and still got bits to learn ... but she also got heaps of potential.
She might need continuity playing in the senior list to gain more confidence.

I am not sure on why Kemp did not feature that much in the last season, but she was pretty darn good in the season before that.

Look the midfield is starting to get quite a bit of competition now. Deed was largely squeezed out already by Bates etc last year and is lucky she has a contract to try and turn it around for the new coach.

This year with Sheriff and West, potentially Stone (in bursts), and McLaughlin and Williamson trying to get a spot on the wing, I can see Baskaran being really put to the test to see if there's a long term spot for her. My daughter's favourite player but the player of the 2023 middle six that has least established their spot. Can't cruise on her draft position now.

Maybe TLR starts being a burst player off the bench or HFF?

Don't see Smith in any danger given her appetite for the contest compared to some of her peers and positional versatility.

2024 jumper numbers for the AFLW
GFOUiIKa8AAKCm0

Bates into 1, West @ #2, McLaughlin @ #6, Sheriff @ #14, Stone in #22, Vukic in #23, Williamson in #27, Butterworth in #28

Surely we get a new coach announcement soon.

2024 jumper numbers for the AFLW
GFOUiIKa8AAKCm0

Bates into 1, West @ #2, McLaughlin @ #6, Sheriff @ #14, Stone in #22, Vukic in #23, Williamson in #27, Butterworth in #28

Surely we get a new coach announcement soon.
I doubt it - I expect they are going to say it’s Harford and I don’t think he qualifies.

Look the midfield is starting to get quite a bit of competition now. Deed was largely squeezed out already by Bates etc last year and is lucky she has a contract to try and turn it around for the new coach.

This year with Sheriff and West, potentially Stone (in bursts), and McLaughlin and Williamson trying to get a spot on the wing, I can see Baskaran being really put to the test to see if there's a long term spot for her. My daughter's favourite player but the player of the 2023 middle six that has least established their spot. Can't cruise on her draft position now.

Maybe TLR starts being a burst player off the bench or HFF?

Don't see Smith in any danger given her appetite for the contest compared to some of her peers and positional versatility.
Tam Smith will play in defence, which is where she played her best footy last year.

Sherriff walks in on the wing, West in the on ball rotation. Deed could still be something but needs opportunity. The midfield is a pack of very small players (laugh all you want at 200cm Liam posting that), so her extra size will help (those familiar with my work know my thoughts on big midfielders)

most mids will need to develop some positional versatility

Stone will play pretty much every week she's fit. Williamson will get a lot of games. Vukic, McLaughlin, and Butterworth I expect to (initially) be a bit more on the fringes. McLaughlin is Kaitlyn Ashmore 2.0 just smaller and turns 19 instead of 33 in November.

New Coach! New
Initially pleased with the Head Coach signing. Looks to have a good CV in the game. Any thoughts about him from Brisbane fans out there?

Webster wins everywhere he goes.

Superb signing, having coached Apsley to back-to-back QAFLM premierships and in 3 seasons as Brisbane's midfield coach had a prelim, grand final, and flag, whilst also having 4 All Australians and 2 League Best and Fairests (Bates and Anderson). The CV is phenomenal

We did a podcast about it and the other off season news (oddly backdated to 3 Feb)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back