AFLW AFLW Season 4, 2020 - Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Was half expecting to see Pippi Longstocking joining in the huddle singing the Crows song after the game. That "trip" free is the worst free I've ever seen, surpassing the time we were playing Richmond in the 90's when Gaz lead from full forward and Scott Turner slipped in the mud behind him, and Gaz was pinged for a push in the back, with a free paid against us for holding the ball right in front of our defensive goals in a Reserves game back in the 1980s, when the bottom two players in the pack were both Fitzroy players rounding out the top three.
Was the "trip" when the Crows gal tried to play leapfrog but fell over?

Proud of the girls though. Were so close to pinching that. Umpires aside, there were a few costly fumbles and dropped marks at crucial times that hurt us.

McMahon I think laid the tackle and the crows player went high - like to hurdle her.... and free against for leg tripping.

Evern the commentators said it was the woest free they'd seen given. Joey Montagna made about 5 calls that the Cats were stiff.

And he was right.

GO Catters

Yeah, the one in the middle of the ground when the Crows player went to kick and a Geelong player ran into smother, and the Crows player fell over. Even the commentators were confused as to how it could be paid a free.

Proud of the girls though. Were so close to pinching that. Umpires aside, there were a few costly fumbles and dropped marks at crucial times that hurt us.
This

And hopefully this is the benchmark they set themselves for the remainder of the season - today showed we can play 4 quarters of football, now to bring it every week

Looking at the girls when they made their way towards the players race to hand out footballs, sign autographs etc,

They looked to be hurting more than I've seen after any loss. The defenders took it particularly hard and you could tell the likes of McMahon & Goring had been crying, then there's going Liv who wears her heart on her sleeve

McMahon looked to be taking it pretty hard and probably based on that last free kick - hope the gals get around her

Watched a replay of that free on the AFLW app before. McMahon took two steps before she went over the line, was running flat chat beforehand, and actually looked like she could've locked her knee up on the 2nd step when she was trying to slow down. There was no way known that she could've either pulled up or changed direction in time. Could even hear the shock in the commentators' voices when it was paid.

Hope Maddy doesn't get too disheartened about it. Was an ordinary decision.

One player I've neglected to give credit to today after giving then s**t following our first 2 games - McWilliams

I thought that was her best showing in the hoops and no doubt that was down to having Boyd playing as the deepest forward

Having Boyd in the side allowed McWilliams to get up the ground where she provided a target when trying to get out of defence, and she also worked her way forward. She seemed to play with more freedom today then I've seen from her during her stint with us

While Boyd did kick a goal, she looked a little rusty and not quite up to the pace of things - as it's her first game of the season I'd keep her in next week, but want to see some improvement such as holding a few of those marks she dropped and even crashing a few packs as she seemed hesitant to attack the ball in the air at times

One player I've neglected to give credit to today after giving then s**t following our first 2 games - McWilliams

I thought that was her best showing in the hoops and no doubt that was down to having Boyd playing as the deepest forward

Having Boyd in the side allowed McWilliams to get up the ground where she provided a target when trying to get out of defence, and she also worked her way forward. She seemed to play with more freedom today then I've seen from her during her stint with us

While Boyd did kick a goal, she looked a little rusty and not quite up to the pace of things - as it's her first game of the season I'd keep her in next week, but want to see some improvement such as holding a few of those marks she dropped and even crashing a few packs as she seemed hesitant to attack the ball in the air at times

Was debating whether to give Phoebe votes or not actually. Was good to see her get up the ground more, and like you said, the inclusion of Boyd gave us that luxury.

If I was to make a change, it'd probably be Darby for Caris. Nothing against Rene as she's only young, but at this stage Darby offers more around the ground.

Bugger...

However, draftee Madi Maguire, who was dropped for the clash with the Crows will undergo scans on a knee injury suffered in Geelong’s VFL practice match against Williamstown on Saturday.

This was a great contest to watch at the ground. Two well matched teams and neither left anything in the tank.

The final decision on the goal line was a pity. A 50:50 call.

Geelong (I) would argue McMahon was under pressure because she had no idea where her opponent was from the moment the ball was kicked over her head. The chase back to gather the ball gave her no chance to check where the defender was.
Adelaide would say there was no direct pressure and in reality that is correct because the defender had stopped running hard.

Align that to a number of other debatable and crucial fee kicks awarded to Adelaide (at least two presenting an easy shot for goal) was a bitter pill to swallow.

Still, AFLW is alive and well. The difference between this year's contests and those of year one of the comp is amazing and it those younger tier of players lifting the standard. It will improve dramatically as the 13 to 16 yo girls of today continue to flow in to the comp over next 5 or six years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noticed on the Today Show this morning that last call was shown on their 5.30am news bulletin with a caption describing it as a controversial call. For a show originating in Sydney to call it controversial shows how dodgy it was.

Noticed on the Today Show this morning that last call was shown on their 5.30am news bulletin with a caption describing it as a controversial call. For a show originating in Sydney to call it controversial shows how dodgy it was.
Not only was it dodgy, it's a perfect example of how prima donna, look-at-moi-look-at-moi, deadshit officials can suck the lifeblood out of a brilliant sporting contest.

You know it's a "great" decision when former players are totally confused by the call

If you do want a laugh, some of the comments in response to the tweet are pretty good:
- “if you don't know then you clearly don't know footy"
- "it's a trip because the umpire called it a trip"

The second line from the same guy trying to argue the similarity between our action and those by Thomas when he slid into Rohan which caused the introduction of the contact below the knee rule

You know it's a "great" decision when former players are totally confused by the call

If you do want a laugh, some of the comments in response to the tweet are pretty good:

The second line from the same guy trying to argue the similarity between our action and those by Thomas when he slid into Rohan which caused the introduction of the contact below the knee rule

Must admit, I had a chuckle at the "contact wing attack" comments.

Never noticed until I read the comments, but when watching it again, the umpire doesn't even signal what the free is for. She just blows her whistle, runs in and points in Adelaide's direction.

Never noticed until I read the comments, but when watching it again, the umpire doesn't even signal what the free is for. She just blows her whistle, runs in and points in Adelaide's direction.
The ump saw something that looked like it could hurt and went crap free kick without any rime or reason. it is starting to kick in more and more

It is like the umps are afraid if the contact is big and they don't give a free they may get into trouble if someone gets hurt

Good news on the injury front:

GEELONG draftee Madi Maguire has escaped serious damage to the knee she injured in a VFLW practice match.

Maguire, who was dropped after the opening two rounds of the AFLW season, has been diagnosed with bone bruising after suffering the injury against Williamstown at Deakin Uni on Saturday.

The 23-year-old, who was taken with pick 98 in last year’s Draft, was spotted with her knee in a brace following the Cats’ AFLW loss to Adelaide on Sunday.

She underwent scans on Monday, which cleared her of anything more sinister.

Well done to Higgins on her selection in the team of the week:

Forwards: Georgia Gee (Carlton), Caitlin Greiser (St Kilda), Danielle Higgins (Geelong), Danielle Ponter (Adelaide), Bec Privitelli (GWS)

Higgins (19 disposals, two goals) was very busy, Privitelli's career renaissance continued with 13 touches and three goals, while Carlton small Gee also bagged three.

And coaches votes:

Geelong v Adelaide

9 Danielle Ponter (ADEL)
9 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
6 Danielle Higgins (GEEL)
2 Anne Hatchard (ADEL)
2 Najwa Allen (ADEL)
1 Olivia Purcell (GEEL)
1 Maddy McMahon (GEEL)

I'm curious how you can jump in the air to take the ball and when you land you cross the line with momentum but it's somehow deliberate - what else was McMahon meant to do, just let the ball go through for a goal?

What, you mean you aren't able to stop midair after running flat out then marking the ball mid stride, change direction (while remaining in mid air), and then distribute the ball jn conformity with the rules of this great game? Sounds like you might not only not be superhuman, you might also be wearing the wrong coloured jumper ....🤯🤬

McMahon I think laid the tackle and the crows player went high - like to hurdle her.... and free against for leg tripping.

Evern the commentators said it was the woest free they'd seen given. Joey Montagna made about 5 calls that the Cats were stiff.

And he was right.

GO Catters

Yeah I noticed the number of times the commentators made the wrong call on the free. I honestly cannot think of another sport where that happens, or at least, happens so often.

F.w.i.w. I don't feel like that last free cost us the game given the time left, but it was the kind of call that a good umpire has the guts NOT to make (leaving aside the fact that compliance with the rule demanded the physically impossible from the player).

What it cost us was the chance to have a crack ... no wonder our players looked so gutted.

Yeah I noticed the number of times the commentators made the wrong call on the free. I honestly cannot think of another sport where that happens, or at least, happens so often.

F.w.i.w. I don't feel like that last free cost us the game given the time left, but it was the kind of call that a good umpire has the guts NOT to make (leaving aside the fact that compliance with the rule demanded the physically impossible from the player).

What it cost us was the chance to have a crack ... no wonder our players looked so gutted.
Not to mention the Adelaide forward actually laughing as she took the free shot at goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back