AFLW AFLW Season 4, 2020 - Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice article on the AFLW website.

RISING Geelong defender Millie Brown's growth has no ceiling, according to All-Australian teammate Meg McDonald.

Brown, the Cats' first pick in last year's draft, paired with McDonald for the first time at NAB AFL Women's level on Sunday as the Cats fell to Adelaide by 11 points

Having been sidelined with a broken finger for the first two rounds of the season, McDonald watched on as her new 19-year-old key defensive teammate starred.

"Millie has grown with every performance and it is really pleasing to have her down there playing a similar role to me," McDonald said post-match on Sunday.

"She is three games in so who is to say (what her ceiling is?.

"She is a jet, she has a fantastic physique for full-back and is very calm with the ball.

"The young talent across our list is awesome and I am 28 now so I am hoping to hold on until they are in their prime because it is scary to think how good all of them will be."

Is this the first week we are going into a game as favourites?

At least for this season - also not sure how often we would have genuinely been the favourites last season either though

Is this the first week we are going into a game as favourites?

At least for this season - also not sure how often we would have genuinely been the favourites last season either though

Not sure we could ever have been called favourites in any games thus far in our short history. And I certainly don't think we've been in the strange circumstances we encounter this weekend. Where both teams are probably massively fancying their chances. Richmond must be setting themselves for some redemption after last week's shellacking, with the thought that we are hardly the most imposing opponent they could be facing at this point.

So while it's a great opportunity for us to build on a much improved effort last weekend, I also see it as a huge danger game. Really would prefer not to be the first scalp of the AFLW Tigers if we can avoid it...

Interesting last year we were ranked last in points for and 2nd for points against.

Currently this year we're ranked 7th in points for and 12th in points against. In fairness though, we have played against the 1st, 4th and 6th best attacks in Freo, Adelaide and Brisbane.

2 omitted and neither are listed as emergencies:

AFLW Round Four Team

B: 19. Millie Brown, 24. Maddy McMahon
HB: 45. Maddy Keryk, 11. Meghan McDonald, 18. Melissa Hickey (c)
C: 9. Nina Morrison, 21. Rebecca Webster, 27. Sophie Van De Heuvel
HF: 5. Jordan Ivey, 23. Phoebe McWilliams, 2. Danielle Higgins
F: 30. Richelle Cranston, 12. Renee Garing
R: 14. Aasta O’Connor, 6. Julia Crockett-Grills, 16. Olivia Purcell
I/C: 3. Amy McDonald, 44. Rebecca Goring, 17. Georgia Clarke, 8. Kate Darby, 40. Anna Teague
EM: 10. Georgie Rankin, 4. Cassie Blakeway

In: 8. Kate Darby, 40. Anna Teague
Out: 26. Maddie Boyd (omitted), 1. Rene Caris (omitted)

Hmm what are people thoughts on the changes? Didn't get to watch last week(due to Foxtel crap) and haven't had the chance to watch replay yet

I liked the balance we had last week because we went with a genuine tall deep forward option in Boyd and that allowed McWilliams to play higher up the ground - seemed to give better balance, and we moved the ball better from defence having McWilliams providing a marking target, especially as O'Connor & Caris haven't necessarily seemed to be strong marking targets for taller players

Boyd didn't necessarily have her best game but I would have given her a second game because it seems rough being omitted after one. I think Caris is a victim of Darby coming in to replace Boyd - Darby can play both forward & in the ruck which kinda negates the need for Caris to be back-up ruck, especially as Caris doesn't necessarily provide a genuine option up forward.

By losing 2 talls for 1 tall who can play both their roles and then also a smaller player (though Teague really ain't that short at 174cm), we may be looking at trying to run the ball a bit more etc

No idea if any of the above makes sense - it does in my head but don't know if it translated into words in the correct way

I liked the balance we had last week because we went with a genuine tall deep forward option in Boyd and that allowed McWilliams to play higher up the ground - seemed to give better balance, and we moved the ball better from defence having McWilliams providing a marking target, especially as O'Connor & Caris haven't necessarily seemed to be strong marking targets for taller players

Boyd didn't necessarily have her best game but I would have given her a second game because it seems rough being omitted after one. I think Caris is a victim of Darby coming in to replace Boyd - Darby can play both forward & in the ruck which kinda negates the need for Caris to be back-up ruck, especially as Caris doesn't necessarily provide a genuine option up forward.

By losing 2 talls for 1 tall who can play both their roles and then also a smaller player (though Teague really ain't that short at 174cm), we may be looking at trying to run the ball a bit more etc

No idea if any of the above makes sense - it does in my head but don't know if it translated into words in the correct way
Don't worry it makes perfect sense reading it :thumbsu:

I agree bit harsh only getting one game and being dumped hopefully the changes allow us to even the inside 50s out because even though they were better last game it is still worrying

Another former Cat Hannah Burchell will be lining up against her old teammates.

Did Hannah struggle with injuries last year because I don't think she played many games for us?

I wish her well but hopefully we have the better game :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm guessing this is from the play where Higgins received a on shot on goal in the 2nd quarter:

Dayna Cox, Adelaide Crows has accepted a Reprimand for engaging in Rough Conduct against Danielle Higgins, Geelong Cats, during the second quarter of the match between the Geelong Cats and the Adelaide Crows, played at GMHBA Stadium on Sunday, February 23.

I'm at Marvel to watch the Bushfire Appeal match but made sure to get up here early and watch the Collingwood vs Melbourne match - interesting to watch as a neutral

Watching this game as well as our games, a question for someone who may have a better idea about this - but how hard is it to learn to kick an AFL football when you get older versus being something ones done growing up?

Like most teams across the league, they both have a mix of recent converts versus those who have played for a much longer period and looking at kicking techniques you can generally tell the who is who.

Seems with some of the converts that the ball drop in particular doesn't look natural - it's almost like you can tell what they are thinking as they go through the process

Watching a player like Layton for example - I know she's come from a netball background but she looks awkward out on the ground and especially when kicking. Then compare that with Pearce who can pick up the ball on the run & after one step she is into her kicking stride in a fluid action

I'm at Marvel to watch the Bushfire Appeal match but made sure to get up here early and watch the Collingwood vs Melbourne match - interesting to watch as a neutral

Watching this game as well as our games, a question for someone who may have a better idea about this - but how hard is it to learn to kick an AFL football when you get older versus being something ones done growing up?

Like most teams across the league, they both have a mix of recent converts versus those who have played for a much longer period and looking at kicking techniques you can generally tell the who is who.

Seems with some of the converts that the ball drop in particular doesn't look natural - it's almost like you can tell what they are thinking as they go through the process

Watching a player like Layton for example - I know she's come from a netball background but she looks awkward out on the ground and especially when kicking. Then compare that with Pearce who can pick up the ball on the run & after one step she is into her kicking stride in a fluid action
Watch a country ressies match somewhere. Full of guys in their thirties that played their whole lives, and still cannot kick.

Have you ever seen an AFL club draft a player who cannot kick, and turn them into an elite kick? Mason Cox might be an example, but I wouldn't consider him elite, and his action isnt entirely natural looking, more functional.

Eagles board complained for years about Priddis kicking, it never got any better.

My theory is, really good kicks are pretty good by the time they are 16 - 18. You can polish it a bit after that, but not drastically improve it. Elite AFL kicks that I can think off were all very good from day 1.

So, people over estimate what can be achieved by AFL clubs after women are drafted imop. Standard will not be more consistent until pretty much all players have come through the pathway, and that will take a decade.

Good start, Darby has added a bit up forward, providing a mobile target, McWilliams has continued on her improved form of last week too.

Quite a slow, tall forward line really with Anna Teague (two good marks) and Georgia Clarke also rotating through the F50, but it has worked ok so far - a couple more goals for our I50 advantage would've been nice though.

Tigers aren't too bad of an outfit; Mon Conti is a flat-out gun and they have dangerous tall forwards; our midfield though looks to have a rare clear advantage in talent, Crockett-Grills and the teen trio of Morrison, Purcell and Webster really need to press that advantage.

Cranston looks on today, she's been good at the clearances and looks dangerous in the F50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back