AFLW AFLW Season 5, Mega thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched the 3rd quarter of the U19 Vic Metro vs Vic Country match, and I wouldn't mind seeing our VFL side pumping some games into Renee Tierney one of our development players - she's one of the over-age Falcons girls and the commentators said she's a forward who's long been a forward. She had a shot on goal from the pocket and slotted the drop punt over the umpires head without them having to move

Could be good to see how she goes at VFL level across this year, and see if she's an option late in the draft because let's be honest one area we kinda lacked this year in the seniors was goal kickers, so could do worse than draft a local who knows how to kick goals

Some good signs for the local girls who played in both the U17 & u19s, including Charlotte Simpson

As well as other potential options for the #2 pick

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
exploited is strong word..

If they aflw season was longer would it automatically follow that they get the following that would bring bigger dollars?

When would the season be played , and against what other sports would they be competing? I suspect its not as easy as having a 17/22 game season that runs along side the men.

The AFL has been accused of ‘lagging behind the world’ in the fight for fair pay in women’s sport
The AFL can continue to tell female players the game is on a journey. But the reality is, they’re being exploited by this abuse of power, says Prue Gilbert.

The AFL — Australia’s richest code — has been accused of “lagging behind the world” in the fight for fair pay in women’s sport.
Sex discrimination experts say the AFL has engineered a restricted AFLW season that allows it to avoid paying “professional wages” to its female players.

“I would like to see the women playing every round that the men play — 22 rounds just like the men with pay parity.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
So what you pay them for being trash some women can not get paid for what they do..yes some should get good money but you don't reward women that are not very good

There is an argument that would say if they are professional they would improve ... is the product worthy of parity in pay at the moment? How much is it worth to in media... with eys will to watch. What numbers does it get on foxtel. I think Foxtel have just started a W channel. If they make a product and enough are willing to pay then fine... I think it will be while before we see Geel V Haw eater Monday game. for aflw. drawing 40,000 plus..

exploited is strong word..

If they aflw season was longer would it automatically follow that they get the following that would bring bigger dollars?

When would the season be played , and against what other sports would they be competing? I suspect its not as easy as having a 17/22 game season that runs along side the men.

The AFL has been accused of ‘lagging behind the world’ in the fight for fair pay in women’s sport
The AFL can continue to tell female players the game is on a journey. But the reality is, they’re being exploited by this abuse of power, says Prue Gilbert.

The AFL — Australia’s richest code — has been accused of “lagging behind the world” in the fight for fair pay in women’s sport.
Sex discrimination experts say the AFL has engineered a restricted AFLW season that allows it to avoid paying “professional wages” to its female players.

“I would like to see the women playing every round that the men play — 22 rounds just like the men with pay parity.

Interesting article to read, but wonder if part of the argument around the pay disparity is more to do with the structured nature of the AFLW salary and how little flexibility there is within that structure.

I know that there is opportunities for players to earn more through sponsorship deals, endorsements etc, but those are few and far between and the vast majority would only be earning at their tiered payment level

Wonder if it would help out things if there was more flexibility within the salary cap and for teams to start structuring the salary tiers themselves

TIERED PAYMENT SYSTEM
AFLW player payments 2019-2022
Tier2019202020212022
1 (2 players)$24,600$29,856$32,077$37,155
2 (6 players)$19,000$23,059$24,775$28,697
3 (6 players)$16,200$19,661$21,124$24,468
4 (16 players)$13,400$16,263$17,473$20,239
Club
TPP
$474,800$576,240$619,109$717,122
AFLW
TPP
$4.748m$8.121m$8.722m$10.098m

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
There is an argument that would say if they are professional they would improve ... is the product worthy of parity in pay at the moment? How much is it worth to in media... with eys will to watch. What numbers does it get on foxtel. I think Foxtel have just started a W channel. If they make a product and enough are willing to pay then fine... I think it will be while before we see Geel V Haw eater Monday game. for aflw. drawing 40,000 plus..
The world is very different now who knows in 5 year you could have AFLT transgender. league if it went head to head with men it would die, but you can not have it in summer

Like Cats players Mcwilliams getting paid 150 thousand for the season she had that is laughable

You got any evidence of that claim, especially considering how few players would actually earn $100k, that seems a significant increase over reported figures

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting article to read, but wonder if part of the argument around the pay disparity is more to do with the structured nature of the AFLW salary and how little flexibility there is within that structure.

I know that there is opportunities for players to earn more through sponsorship deals, endorsements etc, but those are few and far between and the vast majority would only be earning at their tiered payment level

Wonder if it would help out things if there was more flexibility within the salary cap and for teams to start structuring the salary tiers themselves

TIERED PAYMENT SYSTEM
AFLW player payments 2019-2022
Tier2019202020212022
1 (2 players)$24,600$29,856$32,077$37,155
2 (6 players)$19,000$23,059$24,775$28,697
3 (6 players)$16,200$19,661$21,124$24,468
4 (16 players)$13,400$16,263$17,473$20,239
Club
TPP
$474,800$576,240$619,109$717,122
AFLW
TPP
$4.748m$8.121m$8.722m$10.098m

You mean like franchise type players?

I have no issue with them being paid more ...and I think its hard to gauge the total value they bring to the comp... but in principle I dont like the idea of money develop the women given to the men, or visa versa. What we need is a better idea on what its worth to the afl..to have a quality w league. Its a bit like the cost of having F1 event in melb, what you gain for the cost is not always linear.

I would be against having W games as curtain raisers .... but I would like to see on big game a week , given max chance ina big stadium and see if they can draw their own attention. Its only thru eye balls in the media that they can eventually get anywhere near a legit parity comp.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The world is very different now who knows in 5 year you could have AFLT transgender. league if it went head to head with men it would die, but you can not have it in summer

The transgender thing is a whole other discussion , and my views would probably see me have a holiday.

I agree that if they played like the u19's did years ago ..then they would struggle. In that era... if we were playing North at Arden street, then the u19's would play at KP ..at the same time. So how it would work not sure. I would like at least one main game as part of the the big AFL week. Lets see if the best game on a big stage can sustain interest.Nio game played while it is on. As it is now ..as soon the men start , I feel interest dries.

I am saying future not now

And in the future, when players are actually able to earn a living wage from playing AFLW I would be thinking that the league is no longer a part-time activity either, but rather have transformed into a full-time job for the players and that it becomes their primary focus rather than trying to find time to fit it in around other all other aspects

So rather than being a 9.5 week pre-season, a 9 week season and 3 weeks of finals, it would better align with the AFL season or at the very least be a 17 game season (once all 18 teams are involved), and suddenly it's a professional league with professional players who can actually focus on their sporting endeavours

The base line skills are improving every season, the new players coming through are better now than those who were drafted just 2 or 3 years ago and there's going to be a continued improvement in the quality of the games

What would help things advance even quicker is the league actually moving to full-time, professional status - next year the total player commitment is meant to be 338.5 hours, which is broken down to 10.5 weeks of pre-season, 10 week season & 3 weeks of finals. That pre-season is about 3 sessions per week and about 4 hours per session, so ain't that much time to work on things over a preseason as a group. Increase the players time at the clubs, increase their remuneration so they aren't having to work job/s outside of football and actually allow them to live like professional athletes - that'll help improve the quality

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
And in the future, when players are actually able to earn a living wage from playing AFLW I would be thinking that the league is no longer a part-time activity either, but rather have transformed into a full-time job for the players and that it becomes their primary focus rather than trying to find time to fit it in around other all other aspects

So rather than being a 9.5 week pre-season, a 9 week season and 3 weeks of finals, it would better align with the AFL season or at the very least be a 17 game season (once all 18 teams are involved), and suddenly it's a professional league with professional players who can actually focus on their sporting endeavours

The base line skills are improving every season, the new players coming through are better now than those who were drafted just 2 or 3 years ago and there's going to be a continued improvement in the quality of the games

What would help things advance even quicker is the league actually moving to full-time, professional status - next year the total player commitment is meant to be 338.5 hours, which is broken down to 10.5 weeks of pre-season, 10 week season & 3 weeks of finals. That pre-season is about 3 sessions per week and about 4 hours per session, so ain't that much time to work on things over a preseason as a group. Increase the players time at the clubs, increase their remuneration so they aren't having to work job/s outside of football and actually allow them to live like professional athletes - that'll help improve the quality

yep... and would think the quality of talent would improve with a set up like that.

You mean like franchise type players?

I have no issue with them being paid more ...and I think its hard to gauge the total value they bring to the comp... but in principle I dont like the idea of money develop the women given to the men, or visa versa. What we need is a better idea on what its worth to the afl..to have a quality w league. Its a bit like the cost of having F1 event in melb, what you gain for the cost is not always linear.

I would be against having W games as curtain raisers .... but I would like to see on big game a week , given max chance ina big stadium and see if they can draw their own attention. Its only thru eye balls in the media that they can eventually get anywhere near a legit parity comp.

Not necessarily franchise players, because they kinda already have provisions for that with the AFLW signing off on "Additional Service Agreements" and AFL Ambassador Roles where money is outside of the salary cap, and this is where the AFLW salary cap can get confusing with the ignoring some payments to players - thinking that Rocky is likely to be an AFL Ambassador as she's used in a lot of marketing material and stuff for the AFLW

I was thinking more with the tiered sections of payment, because when you consider that there's 16 players on the lowest level of payments, that means there's going to be players in their 3rd year plus at the clubs who's only pay rise has been the set pay increase. Can the lowest tier be used for 1st and 2nd year players, but then more flexibility in the other tiers for how they are structured?

Looking at something like FA in the AFLW there's 2 clauses to it and that also plays into the tiered structure:

10.9 Free Agency
The AFLW Free Agency period is to follow the Sign and Trade Period, in which AFLW Clubs with remaining spots in their List can sign players as follows:
(a) Unrestricted Free Agent: any Player who was not offered a place on the AFLW Club’s List for the upcoming AFLW Season.

(b) Restricted Free Agent: any Player who was offered a place on their AFLW Club’s list for the upcoming AFLW Season but at a lower payment Tier than they were at in the previous AFLW Season. A Restricted Free Agent under this clause can only be signed to an AFLW Club if that Club offers the Restricted Free Agent payment at or above their previous AFLW Season payment tier.

So it feels like with the payment tiers that teams have to be thinking not for the following season, but for 3/4/5 seasons ahead, especially with their promising younger players coming through because there's not much room for movement within the current structure

I'm watching the Demons vs Dockers final, and they gave an interesting stat about Fremantle and were kinda right & kinda wrong

They said "today was the 8th time Fremantle had gone goalless in first halves this season"; it's actually only the 3rd time they've had goalless first halves, but they have had 8 goalless first quarters including today

Congrats to Denby Taylor, Rebecca Webster and Liv Purcell for making the squad for the best Under 22 players in the league.

Interesting that they have Webster listed as a defender when she seriously seemed to play more midfield this year and really stepped up after Purcell went down

And good recognition for Denby who sometimes seems to get overlooked due to the others around her - selected in our first draft and has been showing improvement each season

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting that they have Webster listed as a defender when she seriously seemed to play more midfield this year and really stepped up after Purcell went down

And good recognition for Denby who sometimes seems to get overlooked due to the others around her - selected in our first draft and has been showing improvement each season

just gotta get a bit more continuity with Taylor; she moves really well and has all the skills; has picked up injuries the past couple of seasons now though which have slightly curtailed her development I reckon ...

Time for some GFC list change announcements...

Geelong has confirmed a number of AFLW list changes following the conclusion of its 2021 season.

Maddie Boyd, Nicole Garner and Mia Skinner have been informed they will not be offered contracts for season 2022...

...Boyd has played 22 AFLW games, 13 for Geelong. She was also the first AFLW player to play for three different clubs in Melbourne (2017), GWS Giants (2018) and Geelong (2019-2021).

Garner finishes her time with Geelong after two seasons and seven AFLW games, which included her debut in Round 3 this season against the Western Bulldogs.

Skinner departs the club after two seasons. A former Geelong Falcon, her time with Geelong was hampered by injury which kept her sidelined for the majority of her time at GMHBA Stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back