AFLW AFLW Season 5, Mega thread

Remove this Banner Ad

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Time for some GFC list change announcements...

Geelong has confirmed a number of AFLW list changes following the conclusion of its 2021 season.

Maddie Boyd, Nicole Garner and Mia Skinner have been informed they will not be offered contracts for season 2022...

...Boyd has played 22 AFLW games, 13 for Geelong. She was also the first AFLW player to play for three different clubs in Melbourne (2017), GWS Giants (2018) and Geelong (2019-2021).

Garner finishes her time with Geelong after two seasons and seven AFLW games, which included her debut in Round 3 this season against the Western Bulldogs.

Skinner departs the club after two seasons. A former Geelong Falcon, her time with Geelong was hampered by injury which kept her sidelined for the majority of her time at GMHBA Stadium.

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
This from Krock, which kinda answers a question from yesterday about player availability in the VFLW after delistings

It is understood the popular Boyd has been given the option to remain with the Cats’ VFLW squad, where she been a key player in their 3-2 start to the season.

Cursed Cat

sticky fingers
Sep 15, 2005
Cairns
AFL Club
Geelong
This from Krock, which kinda answers a question from yesterday about player availability in the VFLW after delistings

It is understood the popular Boyd has been given the option to remain with the Cats’ VFLW squad, where she been a key player in their 3-2 start to the season.

Good result I reckon, I was on record as hoping for that outcome regarding Boyd - her VFLW form has generally been solid in seasons gone by (and by the sound of things she is carrying that form over to this VFLW season too), and, same as someone like Bec Goring, it just looks to be the right level for her.

Garner good enough to get a game at VFLW level too I reckon; played every game after debuting this year as a mature-ager, she had a couple of games where she was nice and strong over the ball in the contest, however she dropped off significantly during the last couple of games and it was obvious that developing/fringe players like Remmos and Maguire were able to provide more.

Bad luck Mia Skinner, onwards and upwards in whatever she does next hopefully.

So that's 4 2021 departures including Aasta O'Connor.

Not sure how many more there will be, if I was pulling the reins then one of Cranston or McWilliams would be pretty nervous right about now, and I'd be encouraging Bec Goring to focus on the music career.

I'd also be willing to trade Danielle Higgins, Bec Garing and Georgie Rankin, but for various reasons I suspect all 3 will be with the club next year.

I think at least one more player will move on from the list though; that'd be 5, maaaybe 6 list changes overall

Kate Darby presumably to come back next year for starters - and she will bolster a key area of need, too.

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Wonder if Garner will return to Casey - she's Melbourne based, and having applied to join the police academy, if she's wanting to continue playing say VFLW it may make more sense to find a Melbourne based team. I'd be happy for her to continue with our VFLW side, but that's a decent commitment in terms of the commute for training & games etc

One thing we have to remember with Darby is that if she returns next season she's taking one of the now available spots - her unavailability opened up as spot for this season, so say we're looking at bringing in 5 new players (trades, FA, cdraft) and Darby is also returning, we'll need 6 spots

I don't think today's announcement will be the last of the list changes - this was from an article regarding O'Connor's retirement, and got me thinking that maybe similar conversations had been had with other players and if we may see further retirement announcements, others who may look at continuing their careers elsewhere, while some may try to fight to keep a spot on the list

"It was hard at the start. I sat down with the club a month ago, and we had a pretty honest conversation with where my footy was at," O'Connor told the Cutting Oranges podcast with Darcy Vescio.

"I really battled my body this year. It was good to me last year, but this year I really struggled.

"Even so, I left that meeting thinking, 'You could fight it, you could fight harder, you could train differently'. You're trying to come up with solutions in your head to keep playing, because I love footy. It's what I've always done, I've always played football on the weekends.

"And I'm competitive, so how could I let that go? You can't just quit. So I'm going through all these different emotions, but over time you realise – and I rang a few good friends of mine, who were really honest with me as well – and having those close friends and mentors who said maybe it's time.

Cursed Cat

sticky fingers
Sep 15, 2005
Cairns
AFL Club
Geelong
One thing we have to remember with Darby is that if she returns next season she's taken one of the now available spots - her unavailability opened up as spot for this season, so say we're looking at bringing in 5 new players (trades, FA, craft) and Darby is also returning, we'll need 6 spots
I swear I tried to write out words to this effect for a good 10 minutes, just could not get the phrasing right and abandoned it haha :drunk::$

winty

Jun 8, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Wonder if Garner will return to Casey - she's Melbourne based, and having applied to join the police academy, if she's wanting to continue playing say VFLW it may make more sense to find a Melbourne based team. I'd be happy for her to continue with our VFLW side, but that's a decent commitment in terms of the commute for training & games etc
Looks like she's joined the Hawks going by this...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
More on the fan MVP win:

McDonald was the clear winner, with four 5-vote performances among her 32 votes. She featured in the top-five votes in eight out of nine rounds.

There was a three-way tie for second, with captain Meg McDonald, Olivia Purcell and Julia Crockett-Grills all receiving 17 votes.

Emerging midfielder Becky Webster finished fifth with 14 votes.

Remove this Banner Ad