AFLW AFLW Season 5, Mega thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we head towards the end the current trade period it now feels like the right time to shift focus to the new season; especially with yesterdays news of our first (and probably last) trade, and today's we've finalised list changes

Yes we're still waiting on details of season 5 such as when the season will start and what it'll look like, so for now let's focus on what we do now

Key dates for the 2020 AFLW Sign and Trade Period

Monday August 3

AFLW Sign & Trade Period commences (12pm)

Wednesday August 12
Trade period closes (2pm)
AFLW List Lodgement # 1 (4pm)

Monday August 17
Re-signing and Restricted Free Agent period closes (2pm)
AFLW List Lodgement # 2 (4pm)

Friday August 21
Delisted Free Agent period closes (2pm)
AFLW List Lodgement # 3 (4pm)
AFLW Draft order confirmed

Our trade with Melbourne:

Geelong has strengthened its position in the 2020 NAB AFLW draft after agreeing to swap a number of selections with Melbourne.

The Cats will receive picks 10, 20, 27 and 39 in exchange for picks 5, 35 and a fourth round pick.

With Geelong also holding selection 21, the Cats now have four picks inside the top 27.

Anna Teague in her own words:

Teague was reflective on her retirement, acknowledging that while she would love to play on, her body would make that difficult.

“My time in footy is up, even though I feel I still have a lot to learn and give to the game,” Teague said.

“I am under no illusions about my body and the challenges of getting myself up for training and for games at AFLW level. In talking to Paul Hood and Ben Waller, it became clear that my body’s lack of durability meant my time as a player has come to an end. Whilst that is difficult to hear I understand the reality of the situation.

“I have had a great time in football. My focus is on the great experiences during the past few years. My teammates are a huge part of why I loved my time in footy so much. I wish them all the best and have my fingers crossed that all will go to plan for AFLW in 2021.

“One great thing that I have learnt is the privileged position we are in to play the game at the highest level. It is also true that the team is only strong if everyone works together, so make sure you all take care of each other!”

Wasn't Gemma Wright the player we drafted last year and who stepped away from footy to deal with some form of mental illness a few weeks before last season started? I hope she's doing well and that it was a mutual decision for her and the club to part ways.

Wasn't Gemma Wright the player we drafted last year and who stepped away from footy to deal with some form of mental illness a few weeks before last season started? I hope she's doing well and that it was a mutual decision for her and the club to part ways.

I believe so - her twin sister was drafted by North and I believe it was the first time they were set to be going it on their own, at least in terms of football

So I don't know what impact it had on her with seperation from her sister and family - maybe she decided that she'd rather be in Melbourne and closer to family

I'd like to think that club continued to support her during the year and that this decision was a mutual decision in regards to whats best for the player

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
I'll miss Anna Teague, she was my first favourite Geelong woman when we fielded our inaugural VFLW side - did some nice things up forward in her final couple of games at AFLW level.

Slightly surprised that Cassie Blakeway got the flick, she never really got much opportunity at AFLW level, always performed well for the VFLW side.

Being completely myopic... just as long as my girl is still there.... im good.

GO Catters

After Bec Goddard's criticism of the staffing changes at Geelong around our womens team & staying roles, wonder what she thinks of this decision by Richmond

Note - this decision is currently just in relation to their VFLW side, not their AFLW side

After Bec Goddard's criticism of the staffing changes at Geelong around our womens team & staying roles, wonder what she thinks of this decision by Richmond

Note - this decision is currently just in relation to their VFLW side, not their AFLW side

I just asked her. I'll paste her response when I get it - assuming I get one.

I just asked her. I'll paste her response when I get it - assuming I get one.

Still haven't heard back. Guess that means she's peeved we got rid of our footy manager, but it's fine for Richmond to scrap their entire VFLW program for a season...

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong

Richmond letting feeder clubs do all the heavy lifting.

They really are a grub of a club. Happy to talk up how big and wealthy they are. That they are a family club. That they have a great culture.

It's all just bullshit.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

I'm not familiar with this case but. Cancer in general should be something Id like our club to take on... whether thats a round where the women wear pink hoops or the men wear yellow , im not sure but dare I say there would be one family in australia that has not lost a valuable member M or F to C...

according to cancel council website 145,000 are diagnosed each year..and its the lead cause of death in Australia with around 50,000 per year... and dare I say it still doing its dreaded work even while the focus atm is on covid19

Between Breast, Prostate, Skin , Bowel and Lung and the awful blood cancers that seem to affect so many young ... its one issue id fully support the club taking a social stand on.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
On the season to come... are we starting to get to the stage where we should expect a bit more from our W side? The core reason for its existence is always present but in any sport I have participated in ..participation was not just the whole experience or reason for the involvement. Hitting golf balls in the trees or getting thrashed playing footy was not enjoyable... Participation is being competitive and to some degree winning.. Be nice to see some reward for effort as I have no doubt the women put in a huge amount of time and maybe they do so gladly to just play but when ones see their enjoyment when they have won .. I get that they would not mind being a little bit more competitive as well.

and ..they probably need a bit of luck , it does seem the W participants are vulnerable to injury .. its awful when one see's one go down with a knee..

THE core of Geelong’s promising young AFLW talent has been locked away, with nine Cats signed up until the end of 2022.

Impressive young talents Rebecca Webster, Amy McDonald and Sophie Van De Heuvel have inked extensions to the club.

Familiar faces Danielle Higgins, Julia Crockett-Grills and Maddy Keryk have also committed, alongside Nina Morrison, Meg McDonald and Millie Brown and coach Paul Hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back