AFLW AFLW Season 5, Mega thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to Webster

Becky Webster’s breakthrough season has been recognised by fans across the AFL Women’s competition, with the 20-year-old voted into the 2021 AFL Players’ Association AFLW 22under22 team.

Webster, originally a defender, thrived on a bigger role around the contest this season, playing every game in 2021 and averaging 15 disposals, three tackles, two marks and 241.4 metres gained per game.

She was named at centre half-back in the 22under22 team as the sole Cats representative.

The fans were clearly impressed with Webster’s efforts this season, with 76 per cent of fan-voted teams featuring the Cat.

Webster is just the second Geelong player to feature in an AFLW 22under22 team, following in the footsteps of Nina Morrison (2020).

Webster’s teammates Olivia Purcell and Denby Taylor were named in the initial squad of 40 for 2021.

The 22under22 team is a fan-voted concept that recognises the best 22 players aged 22 and under for the entirety of the AFLW season.

2021 AFL Players’ AFLW 22under22 Team

B: Natalie Grider, Tahlia Randall
HB: Jordyn Allen, Becky Webster, Eleanor Brown
C: Madison Prespakis (VC), Georgia Patrikios, Monique Conti
HF: Courtney Hodder, Chloe Molloy (C), Tyla Hanks
F: Georgia Gee, Isabel Huntington
Ruck: Eden Zanker, Ellie McKenzie, Alyce Parker
Interchange: Georgia Garnett, Jess Fitzgerald, Sabreena Duffy, Emma O’Driscoll, Mikala Cann, Dakota Davidson

Congrats to young Gardiner on picking up the 2 votes in our win over the Suns, but to win by 17 votes and only have 1 player recognised in the votes it kinda sucks

This is pretty poor. Wouldn't imagine they'd cut the Brownlow in half to go to a panel show in between, so why do it for the AFLW equivalent?

Seems that the break was in coverage was while the attendees were having dinner

They started the night with the AA team announcement, had dinner/break in coverage and then returned for the count and other awards

Kinda random, maybe off topic but I swear that the coffee I ordered today was served by Gardiner

Should've asked. If it was her, she probably would've been chuffed she was recognised as an AFLW player. :)

Should've asked. If it was her, she probably would've been chuffed she was recognised as an AFLW player. :)

I was googling her to check images and compare - I was hoping that someone was hoping to call out to her & I could hear her name

Might just have to keep going back

And for anyone interested - Panache waterfront

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt one of the biggest names in the comp, but not sure she's worth her asking price, and say her and Carlton don't come to an agreement I hope we aren't a team that comes knocking

A pay stoush between Tayla Harris and Carlton could lead to the AFLW pin-up player looking for a new club.

Harris is asking for about $150,000 to play in the 2022 season, which would make her one of the highest-paid players in the sport.

She is a Tier 2 player which means she is paid about $25,000 to play football and the remainder would come from marketing and employment roles at the club.

Harris, 24, was believed to have earned about $80,000 this year, and the Blues are baulking at her new asking price.

Separately, the Blues are also privately questioning her dedication to football and whether she is a good fit for the team.

Coming off her worst season as a player — she finished outside the top 15 in the club best-and-fairest — the Blues were disappointed with her standards in preparation and commitment.

At one session during the past season, Harris walked off the training track — without telling any of her coaches — to post on her Instagram page.

That act drew the ire of her teammates.

She did not play the next game. The club listed her as “managed’’.

She was also late to several training sessions and arrived at the start of pre-season unfit.

Rest of article - https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/0d0be6dc1133f79a120e088013a7c6cf

No doubt one of the biggest names in the comp, but not sure she's worth her asking price, and say her and Carlton don't come to an agreement I hope we aren't a team that comes knocking

Rest of article - https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/0d0be6dc1133f79a120e088013a7c6cf

If we're poaching from Carlton we'd want McEvoy or Prespakis - I'll back Barber in to continue developing at a good rate, she has the potential to be every bit as good as Harris if not better.

If we're poaching from Carlton we'd want McEvoy or Prespakis - I'll back Barber in to continue developing at a good rate, she has the potential to be every bit as good as Harris if not better.

Based on the season averages, you could argue Barber is better than Tayla Harris already.

Olivia averaged 6.6 possessions, 1.4 marks, 2.1 tackles, 2.6 hitouts and kicked 3 goals for the season.
Tayla Harris averaged 6 possessions, 2 marks, 2.1 tackles, 1 hitout and kicked 4 goals for the season.

Based on the season averages, you could argue Barber is better than Tayla Harris already.

Olivia averaged 6.6 possessions, 1.4 marks, 2.1 tackles, 2.6 hitouts and kicked 3 goals for the season.
Tayla Harris averaged 6 possessions, 2 marks, 2.1 tackles, 1 hitout and kicked 4 goals for the season.

Ave 2 marks, but only 1 contested mark per game an finished outside the top 15 in Carltons b&f - for a tier 2 player that is a shocking return, and her manager seems to be making excuses for her:

Saundry conceded COVID lockdown last year affected Harris’ mentality and affected her preparation because she couldn’t box, nor could she fulfil her marketing and appearance commitments.

And in regards to the following, while Carlton is mentioned it also seems to be a heavy focus on "the game" - so the manager & player is wanting a significant increase in her wage and not because of her contribution to the team, output on the field etc, but because of what she does "for the game". So if it's all about "the game" and seemingly more based on marketing, shouldn't that then come from the AFLW rather than from the club, because she sure as hell doesn't deserve to be one of the highest paid players based on her output

And in terms of marketability, wouldn't be surprised if we start to see the next generation coming through become the more marketable options

She added: “I think she’s worth a significant amount. The commitment to Carlton and what she’s done over the past two years for the game locally, nationally and internationally carries a lot of weight.

“Has she carried that weight (this year)? No. Does she rely on her team around her? Yes, to help her through that.

“I think she’s worth a hell of a lot, she’s worth over six figures to the game, absolutely.’’

Big bucks for a talented player who's not currently performing and might already be past her best?

No, thanks.

It may not be a nice question to ask, but I wonder about her commitment to the game & her club versus her commitment to self promotion & marketing

There's no doubt she has the talent when she applies herself, but how hard is she still willing to work for it though

I know its offseason but any word on how my Girl's knee recovery is going?

Go Catters

Why has it not been expanded? Dollars or talent?

I'd say talent dilution is a big factor, and that a few of the current expansion teams haven't had the best of times

- Geelong in their 3rd season won a single game
- Richmond was winless last season, but improved for 3 wins this season
- GC won 2 games & 1 draw last season, but winless this season
- WCE 1 win last season and 2 wins this season
- St Kilda 2 wins last season and 3 this season

North has been the best of the expansion teams,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back