AFLW AFLW Season 6, Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our combined scores against North and Carlton this year: 4.11.35 to 8.9.57
Our combined scores against North and Carlton last year: 5.10.40 to 21.9.135.
Defensively better & not seeing the opposition either get a run on or blow us away early as we have seen in past seasons

Now we need to start putting the score on the board; we're definitely playing a more attacking style this season, but we aren't making the most of those dominant periods and converting our chances. Our controlled forward 50 entries still seem a bit shallow, and when getting it in longer it becomes rushed and more playing into the hands of the opposition rather than our forwards

Obviously Barber will come into the team at some stage this season, and I thought that Gunjaca had a really good presence last night in a vastly improved individual showing after a quiet debut. One thing I noticed with Gunjaca though is that a lot of her marks seemed to come further up the ground, which was helpful but we need that sort of presence around our half forward area and even deeper in the forward line

Hopefully we can get those two playing together and seeing if that can give us the presence up forward that we seem to be missing

I know McWilliams worked her way into the game last night, but she's closer to the end than beginning of her career and seems to be lacking presence at times, and she also doesn't seem to have the same length on her kicks as in earlier seasons - if she's a forward target then she's having to play deeper as she seems to be struggling to convert from 35/40m out, but can't remember her having a real strong presence in contests when deep forward either

Going to be some interesting selection decisions having to be made in coming weeks one would think

Coaches votes are in and it's hard to argue with Harrington getting the 10 votes and does lean towards an issue we've raised on just a few occasions in that we need to be better with our forward 50 entries

And happy to say I may have be wrong in my post 2020/21 season/pre-season thoughts on how Maddy McMahon would go this year - there were times last year where I thought the game was looking like it has gone past her, not that it's anything to be ashamed of. But, once we have both McMahon & McDonald patrolling down back, we look a lot more settled & they both seem to play better when the other is alongside them

VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
10 - Kerryn Harrington (CARL)
6 - Madison Prespakis (CARL)
5 - Lucy McEvoy (CARL)
4 - Maddy McMahon (GEEL)
3 - Breann Moody (CARL)
1 - Amy McDonald (GEEL)
1 - Georgia Gee (CARL)

Just on Kearns' tackle at the 30 second mark of that clip, I don't know why that wasn't rewarded with a free kick. The Carlton player had taken a few steps, saw Kearns coming, and instead of trying to dispose of the ball, just braced herself for the contact. Surely she had prior opportunity, and never looked like she attempted to get rid of it after she was tackled.

Just on Kearns' tackle at the 30 second mark of that clip, I don't know why that wasn't rewarded with a free kick. The Carlton player had taken a few steps, saw Kearns coming, and instead of trying to dispose of the ball, just braced herself for the contact. Surely she had prior opportunity, and never looked like she attempted to get rid of it after she was tackled.

The way Kearns plays, it seems a case that if she tackles you then you're going to know about it - she doesn't seem to do things by halves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched this game i did not think anything of it at the time. but yeah she left the ground...and i think the umpires are worse in the W/AFL

Think they also changed the rules around the bump ahead of the season (pretty sure it's for the AFL also), in that if you elect to bump & there's even a hint of high contract then you'll be looking at a suspension regardless of outcome

And if you leave the ground then you really have no leg to stand on in terms of a suspension

The question will be how long they maintain that line of thought before it slips into a looser interpretation of the rules

Pocket Profile: Rachel Kearns​

Who have been your role models? Katie Taylor (Irish boxer)

Favourite athlete: Katie Taylor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back