AFLW AFLW Season 6, Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good mates with Georgie Prespakis too apparently, there was some muttering that the club drafted Friswell to keep Prespakis company so to speak, but it hasn't taken Frizz long to demonstrate she is a big talent in her own right ...
Watched the Carlton Lions game on tele last night - Lions have a ton of run and were very clean, particularly in the first half. We're going to need real pace and some stiffness in the guts to challenge them, although the four-day break will be a challenge and some of them looked pretty tired in the last ten minutes. It was very noticeable that the Lions always seem to have a spare player steaming off the contest, and that the person being tackled or challenged found them; the Blues just had no answer in the first half.

What really struck me though was that Prespakis had the entire Blues team on her back for most of the game, although Vescio got going in the second half. All the talk has been of us losing our Prespakis to the Blues, bu it would be very nice to have it go the other way ... she didn't show any frustration, but gee if she has to do that for a season then she is going to be a fairly unhappy camper.

Watched the Carlton Lions game on tele last night - Lions have a ton of run and were very clean, particularly in the first half. We're going to need real pace and some stiffness in the guts to challenge them, although the four-day break will be a challenge and some of them looked pretty tired in the last ten minutes. It was very noticeable that the Lions always seem to have a spare player steaming off the contest, and that the person being tackled or challenged found them; the Blues just had no answer in the first half.

What really struck me though was that Prespakis had the entire Blues team on her back for most of the game, although Vescio got going in the second half. All the talk has been of us losing our Prespakis to the Blues, bu it would be very nice to have it go the other way ... she didn't show any frustration, but gee if she has to do that for a season then she is going to be a fairly unhappy camper.

Isn't the talk that we could lose our Prespakis to Essendon when they're introduced into the competition next year as she had played for their VFLW side last year?

Isn't the talk that we could lose our Prespakis to Essendon when they're introduced into the competition next year as she had played for their VFLW side last year?

I think some Carlton fans are getting a little concerned that big sis may make the move to Essendon at seasons end, especially if Carlton stink it up this season

Maybe both sisters will go, and while it will be frustrating to lose our first selection from the most recent draft I'm still glad we took the risk on Georgie and we've got to see what happens - maybe she goes or maybe she decides to give it a couple of years in Geelong, especially if we can break through for a few wins & there's clear positives going forward

ooh I like your thinking JC; lure her over!!

I think some Carlton fans are getting a little concerned that big sis may make the move to Essendon at seasons end, especially if Carlton stink it up this season

Maybe both sisters will go, and while it will be frustrating to lose our first selection from the most recent draft I'm still glad we took the risk on Georgie and we've got to see what happens - maybe she goes or maybe she decides to give it a couple of years in Geelong, especially if we can break through for a few wins & there's clear positives going forward
Why can't the sister come to Geelong instead?

Any thoughts?

I'm trying to work my way through it at the moment. Could use some input.

On the one hand, respect for different beliefs has always been my personal philosophy. On the other hand, I have very little surprise at how often bigotry is shielded by religion. There are many religious people who can and do embrace pride round, just as there are many religious people who have somehow managed to condemn slavery and capital punishment.

I often wonder, when I see something homophobic, whether the perpetrator would be as daring if they substituted their homophobic comments with a diatribe, or even gentle opposition, to skin colour.

I'm also conflicted here because I am not exactly straight. I would feel uncomfortable knowing there is someone within my team who can't even wear the jumper. It is why I'm always hesitant when it comes to things like being open or 'public' with sexuality - Zreika might not make her teammates life difficult (who knows) but there is always someone ready to sling s**t and/or make the workplace a challenge. Sometimes, I would rather not know which of my otherwise lovely co-workers have a pride problem.

So my question is, how far should tolerance go?

Any thoughts?

On the one hand, respect for different beliefs has always been my personal philosophy. On the other hand, I have very little surprise at how often bigotry is shielded by religion. There are many religious people who can and do embrace pride round, just as there are many religious people who have somehow managed to condemn slavery and capital punishment.

I often wonder, when I see something homophobic, whether the perpetrator would be as daring if they substituted their homophobic comments with a diatribe, or even gentle opposition, to skin colour.

I'm also conflicted here because I am not exactly straight. I would feel uncomfortable knowing there is someone within my team who can't even wear the jumper. It is why I'm always hesitant when it comes to things like being open or 'public' with sexuality - Zreika might not make her teammates life difficult (who knows) but there is always someone ready to sling sh*t and/or make the workplace a challenge. Sometimes, I would rather not know which of my otherwise lovely co-workers have a pride problem.

Ooof this comments section could go south real quick.

My worthless opinion is to not let the door hit her arse on the way out. Her religion doesn't let her choose what others wear or promote. She can just wear a standard jumper if she wants. There could be a million reasons for her to choose to do this, but her god didn't tell her to do this.

Last edited:

Any thoughts?

I'm also conflicted here because I am not exactly straight. I would feel uncomfortable knowing there is someone within my team who can't even wear the jumper. It is why I'm always hesitant when it comes to things like being open or 'public' with sexuality - Zreika might not make her teammates life difficult (who knows) but there is always someone ready to sling sh*t and/or make the workplace a challenge. Sometimes, I would rather not know which of my otherwise lovely co-workers have a pride problem.

Islam is hundreds of years behind in needing serious reform, and Zreika should grow up or move on - she plays a sport in which surely the percentage of gay women would be relatively high in comparison with wider society; if her religion is in conflict with that and/or doesn't allow her to be supportive of her team mates then she should be weighing up whether she should really be a part of the competition.

If she wants to practice homophobia under the umbrella of Islam that's her right, unfortunately, but don't be a hypocrite and try to have it both ways - grandstanding about not wearing a pride jumper yet working and playing with gay women every day of the footy season - it's weak. ''Supports them on a personal level'' - is she having a laugh?

It was only a week or so ago that Joel Selwood was widely quoted in the media talking about the 'safety blanket' the AFL would provide should a male player come out as being gay.
Unfortunately I think our skipper was a bit naive on that score, because there are always righteous religious people around who think that what goes on in the private lives of others is somehow their business.

Religion is hypocrisy incarnate; it's adherents always bleating on about their right to judge and disrespect others while believing themselves exempt from the same treatment.

Islam is hundreds of years behind in needing serious reform, and Zreika should grow up or move on - she plays a sport in which surely the percentage of gay women would be relatively high in comparison with wider society; if her religion is in conflict with that and/or doesn't allow her to be supportive of her team mates then she should be weighing up whether she should really be a part of the competition.

If she wants to practice homophobia under the umbrella of Islam that's her right, unfortunately, but don't be a hypocrite and try to have it both ways - grandstanding about not wearing a pride jumper yet working and playing with gay women every day of the footy season - it's weak. ''Supports them on a personal level'' - is she having a laugh?

It was only a week or so ago that Joel Selwood was widely quoted in the media talking about the 'safety blanket' the AFL would provide should a male player come out as being gay.
Unfortunately I think our skipper was a bit naive on that score, because there are always righteous religious people around who think that what goes on in the private lives of others is somehow their business.

Religion is hypocrisy incarnate; it's adherents always bleating on about their right to judge and disrespect others while believing themselves exempt from the same treatment.
I think her version of support too is likely of the kind that is trying to somehow "fix" or convert them. Like the way parents who send their kids to gay conversion camps think they're supporting their kids in doing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About halfway through the last quarter, and Collingwood currently trail 1.1.7 to 4.7.31.

The losing the week after playing us trend continues!

Freo ended up running out winners 5.8.38 to 1.1.7.

Freo ended up running out winners 5.8.38 to 1.1.7.
That's a really low score for Collingwood - were they missing any key players or just not their night?

That's a really low score for Collingwood - were they missing any key players or just not their night?

Was their lowest score ever apparently.

Don't know if they were missing anyone as I wasn't watching it, just keeping an eye on the scores.

Molloy played but only had the 2 disposals, Frederick the 9 disposals though 7 were handballs - neither hit the scoreboard

Out of curiosity, what is Frederick's role - I thought she was a forward but she's only kicked 2 behinds from 4 matches this season

Molloy played but only had the 2 disposals, Frederick the 9 disposals though 7 were handballs - neither hit the scoreboard

Out of curiosity, what is Frederick's role - I thought she was a forward but she's only kicked 2 behinds from 4 matches this season

I don't think she knows herself.

Seriously though, she's probably there to create a contest and bring the ball to ground for the likes of Molloy to run onto.

About halfway through the last quarter, and Collingwood currently trail 1.1.7 to 4.7.31.

The losing the week after playing us trend continues!

unfortunately I think this pattern doesn't bode all that well for us - the clubs that are beating us aren't all that good (but are still beating us). The Kangaroos probably the exception, they'll be up there I reckon ...

Well fu**

Poor Nina just can’t get any continuity into her footy can she?
Sounds a relatively minor issue, but she’ll be a big loss to the midfield group; we look a little undersized in there without her.
Might be worth giving the returning Chloe Scheer a run in the middle, for a few rotations at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back