Olivia Fuller
Claudia Gunjaca
Rachel Kearns
Georgie Prespakis
Zali Friswell
Gabbi Featherstone
Annabel Johnson

Oh, and a new coach, Dan Lowther.

Along with "new" recruit Nina Morrison. Hope she gets a good run this season - she was looking the goods in the couple of games she played in the 2019(?) season.

Further list update Geelong’s Millie Brown will take a break from football for the 2021/2022 season, the defender has been officially placed on the inactive list.

Cheers for the update, hope everything is ok with both her and Denby who's also taking the season off

This also explains how we were able to take 4 selections tonight after signing 3 players last week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't that's for sure - will have to do some research!

Featherstone an interesting selection too for that matter, perhaps less of a bolter but regardless I didn't see anyone rating her in the top dozen players - still, she definitely has plenty of upside.

Wonder if the Cannons & Essendon VFLW link led us to selecting Friswell with our second selection - maybe help make the transition down the highway for our 1st and then 2nd selections?

Friswell shared the midfield alongside fellow Geelong draftee Georgie Prespakis for the Calder Cannons this year.

Friswell has spent time in both the back and forward pockets this year for the Cannons and Essendon VFLW but is at her most damaging through the midfield.

Interestingly since she was named as a first round pick in Sarah Black's phantom draft, but Poppy Schapp ended up not getting drafted.

A few speculated that her size might hold her back, others had her listed pretty high - Sarah Black probably has more inside info than most, and her 1st round was pretty wide of the mark this year.
In fact basically every phantom draft I saw this year was pretty wide of the mark apart from the first 3 picks (and not many had Friend @ 3 for that matter).

So what'd we end up with?

Probably the best pure footballer in the draft in Prespakis.

Featherston a genuine athlete who could be anything - look at the highlights of her playing, she has all the attributes. Should be ready to go next year in terms of being physically ready, but she is still pretty raw. Just needs to play lots of footy.

Zali Friswell (great name) a bit of a hybrid from what I understand in that she can apparently run all day and has the neat skills to capitalize on her opportunities. Sounds like a genuine winger but I freely admit I know very little about her.

Posters who watched more of this year's VFLW might know more about Annabel Johnson than me; I can't say I've seen her kick ball one.

Last edited:
Wonder if the Cannons & Essendon VFLW link led us to selecting Friswell with our second selection - maybe help make the transition down the highway for our 1st and then 2nd selections?

Friswell shared the midfield alongside fellow Geelong draftee Georgie Prespakis for the Calder Cannons this year.

Friswell has spent time in both the back and forward pockets this year for the Cannons and Essendon VFLW but is at her most damaging through the midfield.

I was considering that too - there'd been some talk of Prespakis going to Essendon once they field an AFLW side, but also that she was besties with St Kilda young gun Patrikios.

Perhaps the drafting of Friswell will help with the retention of Prespakis, but it also sounds as though Friswell has plenty of upside in her own right.

Interestingly since she was named as a first round pick in Sarah Black's phantom draft, but Poppy Schapp ended up not getting drafted.

Something is not right there... I cant remember the last time a predicted R1 pick in the mens comp did not get drafted? Are we really dealing with a solid base of informed predictions?

Anyway.... can some of you guys like CC or 09 ..give us a rating out of 10?

Posters who watched more of this year's VFLW might know more about Annabel Johnson than me; I can't say I've seen her kick ball one.

All I know is she's averaged 15 possessions, 3 marks and 5 tackles a game at VFLW level.

Something is not right there... I cant remember the last time a predicted R1 pick in the mens comp did not get drafted? Are we really dealing with a solid base of informed predictions?

Turbo, I was extremely wide of the mark in my pre-draft predictions; then again I didn't see a lot of the juniors this year - the year Geelong joined the comp I was a lot more accurate as I'd had a good gander at the AFLW U/18 champs that year and was very familiar with a lot of the players.

After a bit of thought though, here is my theory:

Lowther, Waller and the team clearly think we already have enough young developing players on the list.

I would guess that all 4 players we drafted tonight are a reasonable chance of contributing next season to varying degrees.

Prespakis alone makes it a good draft for us.

But I like Featherston too; she is still raw and learning, but you only have to take a brief look at her highlights to see that she has the type of physical attributes that a lot of our list just do not possess - she is big and strong and powerful; the club will back themselves in to iron out her kinks and get her playing consistent footy.

Friswell was just a vague name to me prior to this evening; allegedly she has the type of endurance that some of our mids just don't seem to have - her skills look solid upon a cursory glance, too.

Annabel Johnson I have zero idea about; apparently played in our VFLW side this year; I've watched a reasonable amount of VFLW in the past but not this season apart from one and a bit games, so I'd just be making things up.

Out of 10? If we retain Georgie Prespakis then I'd say 8.

Last edited:

Also Turbo, let us not underestimate the impact of COVID on the entire draft class and the recruiters too.
Things got a little weird with 19 year olds getting a run this year.

I think Poppy Schaap is one who will still have another year @ junior level so all is not lost for a few overlooked players.

It's really hard to know how to rate it as an overall draft - really haven't read much about the draft prospects of our 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick

Extremely happy we went Prespakis with our first pick. Yes there's risk involved but it seems like this is the best year to really go for those risks - we lost our b&f from last year, our coach stepped down and we haven't seen our #1 selection for nearly 2 years by the time the next season starts.

This was an opportunity to kinda start fresh, show the rest of the league what direction we want to head in and that we don't just want to play it safe with locals going forward

Where I am surprised is that we didn't go for Annie Lee or Tess Craven, especially as we had 2 chances for either of them after our first selection. I thought they'd be our most likely in terms of going local

Feel like it's a bit of wait & see with this group just because of how left field a few of the selections are

Remove this Banner Ad

Back