AFLW AFLW Season 6, Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

With the trade period recently finishing, the draft period coming out and most importantly the confirmation today that the club has finalised the list ahead of the upcoming drafting, now seems an appropriate time to start this thread and shift our focus to season 6 of the AFLW

And in regards to the list changes:

The Geelong Cats are pleased to announce the recommitment of 16 AFL Women's players for the 2022 season.

Denby Taylor has made the decision to take a break from football; the 21-year-old will officially be placed on the inactive list for season six of the AFLW.

Danielle Higgins, Julia Crockett-Grills, Nina Morrison, Millie Brown, Stephanie Williams and Maddy Keryk already held contracts for the 2022 season.

Geelong’s Head of AFLW Brett Johnson said the club was thrilled to confirm the latest re-signings.

“Our people are the heartbeat of our club. It’s fantastic to have this talented group of players commit to the club as we head towards season 2021/22,” Johnson said.

Geelong hold selections 2, 7, 9 and 20 in the upcoming AFLW Draft.

Recommitted Cats:
Olivia Barber (2023)
Jordan Ivey (2023)
Amy McDonald (2023)
Meghan McDonald (2023)
Georgie Rankin (2023)
Sophie Van de Heuvel (2023)
Rebecca Webster (2023)

Rene Caris (2022)
Georgia Clarke (2022)
Laura Gardiner (2022)
Renee Garing (2022)
Madisen Maguire (2022)
Maddy McMahon (2022)
Phoebe McWilliams (2022)
Darcy Moloney (2022)
Carly Remmos (2022)

New Cats:
Chantel Emonson (2023)
Chloe Scheer (2023)

With the trade period recently finishing, the draft period coming out and most importantly the confirmation today that the club has finalised the list ahead of the upcoming drafting, now seems an appropriate time to start this thread and shift our focus to season 6 of the AFLW

The Geelong Cats are pleased to announce the recommitment of 16 AFL Women's players for the 2022 season.

Denby Taylor has made the decision to take a break from football; the 21-year-old will officially be placed on the inactive list for season six of the AFLW.

Danielle Higgins, Julia Crockett-Grills, Nina Morrison, Millie Brown, Stephanie Williams and Maddy Keryk already held contracts for the 2022 season.

Geelong’s Head of AFLW Brett Johnson said the club was thrilled to confirm the latest re-signings.

“Our people are the heartbeat of our club. It’s fantastic to have this talented group of players commit to the club as we head towards season 2021/22,” Johnson said.

Recommitted Cats:
Olivia Barber (2023)
Jordan Ivey (2023)
Amy McDonald (2023)
Meghan McDonald (2023)
Georgie Rankin (2023)
Rebecca Webster (2023)

Rene Caris (2022)
Georgia Clarke (2022)
Laura Gardiner (2022)
Renee Garing (2022)
Madisen Maguire (2022)
Maddy McMahon (2022)
Phoebe McWilliams (2022)
Darcy Moloney (2022)
Carly Remmos (2022)

New Cats:
Chantel Emonson (2023)
Chloe Scheer (2023)

excellent summary C09 :thumbsu:

shame about Denby Taylor, but wish her all the best nonetheless.

I think we actually have 2, 7, 9 & 15 at the draft btw ...

Great news. Hopefully they have a better run at it next year. Forgive me if I have missed earlier news on the subject but I am guessing this puts a line through Purcell?

Great news. Hopefully they have a better run at it next year. Forgive me if I have missed earlier news on the subject but I am guessing this puts a line through Purcell?

Correct, since she was traded to Melbourne at her request.

Recommitted Cats:
Olivia Barber (2023)
Jordan Ivey (2023)
Amy McDonald (2023)
Meghan McDonald (2023)
Georgie Rankin (2023)
Rebecca Webster (2023)

Rene Caris (2022)
Georgia Clarke (2022)
Laura Gardiner (2022)
Renee Garing (2022)
Madisen Maguire (2022)
Maddy McMahon (2022)
Phoebe McWilliams (2022)
Darcy Moloney (2022)
Carly Remmos (2022)

New Cats:
Chantel Emonson (2023)
Chloe Scheer (2023)

Since Denby Taylor is having a break next season, does that mean we get an extra draft pick, or do we just get to name an extra rookie listed player in her spot?

Since Denby Taylor is having a break next season, does that mean we get an extra draft pick, or do we just get to name an extra rookie listed player in her spot?

I think (don't hold me to it) that we end up with an extra list spot open, in the same manner as when Kate Darby was put on the inactive list for last season due to her pregnancy

Not sure if that means an extra draft pick at this stage or if it's a supplementary selection prior to the start of the season - seen that with teams when they've lost a player before the start of the season due an acl for example

sad panda

but i still got one Liv left :)

Go Catters

sad panda

but i still got one Liv left :)

Go Catters
Yeah me too. Makes that job a little bit harder next year.

Can't blame her really. The AFL's half arsed approach to professionalism in the women's game is going to hamstring us for the next decade, IMO. I'm hoping the club works with the local community to make some attractive work offers off the field to help some experienced talent relocate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is interesting since she's in the running for our coaching job....

Hmmm... Announcement tomorrow do you think?

Was there any women who were close to getting the coaching job?

Id have liked to try a situation where you get a Daisy to player to be player & coach. It was not uncommon in the old days, and the W situation is still very embryonic.
The only woman I recall being linked to the job was Peta Searle, otherwise all the names suggested by the media were men but I don't recall seeing Lowther even hinted at

I'll support this choice & wish Dan the best of luck with things - though I wouldn't have been upset if we went external and a fresh voice

The only woman I recall being linked to the job was Peta Searle, otherwise all the names suggested by the media were men but I don't recall seeing Lowther even hinted at

I'll support this choice & wish Dan the best of luck with things - though I wouldn't have been upset if we went external and a fresh voice

In the end, a coach can only do so much. A lot depends on the talent you have. I have no knowledge of him as a coach , it may be that he is streets ahead of all others.

I would not have minded an AFL coach or a woman. Perhaps one day someone who has come thru W league then progresses to be an AFL coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back