AFLW AFLW Season 7, Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we're still waiting on announcements regarding player signings & leavings for Geelong AFLW team, but with the following news, now seems a good time to kick off our Season 7 discussion - a new 1-year CBA agreed to & we have a commencement date for Season 7 (hoping that may kick start some more news out of the cattery):

A ONE-YEAR bridging AFLW Collective Bargaining Agreement has been struck between the AFL and AFLPA ahead of the competition's new season in August.

Season seven of the AFLW will now commence in the last weekend in August, and consist of ten home-and-away rounds and a four-week finals series, with the Grand Final to be held on the last weekend of November.

The CBA deal will result in a substantial pay rise of an average of 94 per cent across all four payment tiers, with players having been particularly keen to have their unpaid hours (maintaining fitness, recovery etc) recognised in the new deal.

The top tier will be paid $71,935, while the minimum AFLW wage will increase from $20,239 to around $39,184.

With the CBA signed, the AFL and AFLPA confirmed the new season will start in the AFL pre-finals bye in the last weekend in August, four and a half months after Adelaide was crowned premier of the 2022 (part A) season.

The long-awaited dates around the Sign and Trade Period and the NAB AFLW Draft have now also been finalised.

The Expansion Signing period will commence on May 24, with the Sign and Trade period to commence on May 31.

The NAB AFLW Draft will be held on June 29, with pre-season training to commence for all clubs on June 13.

The expired CBA saw players contracted for 15 hours a week during pre-season and 10 (excluding matches) during the season itself, but players found themselves doing a lot more individual work outside of those hours in order to maintain a high standard of performance.

ust two players per club occupy each of tier one and tier two, with expansion clubs capitalising heavily on that imbalance when attracting tier three talent from other teams.

Despite four new teams – Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney – joining the competition, the new season will remain at 10 rounds, however an extra week of finals will be added and a top eight introduced.

The next CBA is expected to revolve around the season length, with the AFLPA aiming to have a full-time, 18-round competition by 2026.

The AFL head of women's football Nicole Livingstone has maintained the AFL's aspirational goal is to have "year-round" athletes by 2030, rather than full-time or the current six-month, part-time contracts.

Key dates for AFLW season 7

• AFLW Expansion Signing Period 24 May 2022
  • Sign and Trade Period 31 May 2022
  • NAB AFLW Draft 29 June 2022
  • Pre-season commences 13 June 2022
  • Season Commences, 25-27 August 2022*
  • Finals commences, 4-6 November 2022*
  • NAB AFLW Grand Final, Weekend of 25-27 November 2022*
* Fixtured dates and game times TBC

FTKp1l5agAY8b54

Bit of a shame, but we were bound to lose someone sooner or later...

Any bets on which club?

We started to see some good SDH this past season, though not sure she's played at the level expected of a pick 2 on a regular enough basis - as always, wish her well at her new club

Any bets on which club?

We started to see some good SDH this past season, though not sure she's played at the level expected of a pick 2 on a regular enough basis - as always, wish her well at her new club

Hopefully not Hawthorn.

Bit of a shame, but we were bound to lose someone sooner or later...

She's been a consistent under achiever based off her draft position since we drafted her IMO, no huge loss... On paper she ticks the boxes but hasn't delivered

Whether it’s on her, or she needs a change of scenery to fulfill her potential, she just hasn’t delivered in the hoops. I’m not sure, but she probably didn’t make top10 in the b&f this year.

Definitely a player whose progress I’ll be tracking.

I’m not sure if there will be a compo pick (a la free agency), the AFLW were nutting it out I last heard, but I’d imagine it would in or around our 2nd rd pick (or end of 2nd rd).

Just a guess. Port Adelaide
After I posted I read elsewhere that she supported Essendon growing up and played cricket at Essendon MP

Thinking they may be a good option

Speaking of Hawthorn, wouldn't be surprised if they pick up Phoebe McWilliams. IIRC, she was playing VFLW for them before we picked her up.
Hawks got that big girl that has played at about 3 or 4 other clubs full forward, so i don't think they will want Phoebe

She's been a consistent under achiever based off her draft position since we drafted her IMO, no huge loss... On paper she ticks the boxes but hasn't delivered
Has shown flashes of brilliance. But they've been few and far between. Has been anonymous far too often for far too long.

Wish her all the best, of course. But she just hasn't developed much at all from her very earliest days on the list. We took Morrison at #1 in that draft, Sophie at #2, and then Webster and Purcell further down the list.

When you look at the output of those four players since that point, it's hard to conceive exactly what they saw in her to select her so early. The other three all have at least one outstanding attribute as a player; Sophie just appears to lack a real edge in any particular facet of the game.

Certainly a shame not to have got this selection right, though. Because I can't see us getting close to a #2 pick at the draft for some time now. Opportunity missed, for sure.

Any bets on which club?

Reliable poster on our board has confirmed she has signed with Essendon (just giving the AMT retirement news some clear air before confirming).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of Hawthorn, wouldn't be surprised if they pick up Phoebe McWilliams. IIRC, she was playing VFLW for them before we picked her up.
She's been linked with a return to GWS - guess it will depend on where she's based and if she wants to move from Melbourne:

GEELONG leading goalkicker Phoebe McWilliams is yet to be offered a new contract by the Cats.

Womens.afl understands the Western Bulldogs and McWilliams' former club Greater Western Sydney have met with the key forward, among other clubs.

Agree -

if we were to lose a former high pick, she's not the greatest lost we could take.

Go Catters

Has shown flashes of brilliance. But they've been few and far between. Has been anonymous far too often for far too long.

Wish her all the best, of course. But she just hasn't developed much at all from her very earliest days on the list. We took Morrison at #1 in that draft, Sophie at #2, and then Webster and Purcell further down the list.

When you look at the output of those four players since that point, it's hard to conceive exactly what they saw in her to select her so early. The other three all have at least one outstanding attribute as a player; Sophie just appears to lack a real edge in any particular facet of the game.

Certainly a shame not to have got this selection right, though. Because I can't see us getting close to a #2 pick at the draft for some time now. Opportunity missed, for sure.

I'd think that it was based on the mechanisms of how the draft worked during our first couple of years - currently players can nominate the state in which they wish to play, but for our first couple of drafts Victoria was also broken down to Metro, Geelong or 'Open'

Morrison we were always taking with #1, and I'm guessing that Purcell & Webster may have nominated Geelong meaning we could select them later in the draft without fear another team would nab them first.\

But I'm pretty sure SVD nominated as an open selection meaning she was eligible for any Vic side, and maybe she was seen as the best "open" player - don't forget that if she didn't nominate for the Metro region, we would have selected Prespakis instead

There was a few of our AFLW players at todays match - sitting together & "enjoying" the first half, as much as one can enjoy what was on show during the first half

Looking forward to seeing some player signing/re-signing announcements hopefully soon, especially now that the CBA is out and we have start dates for pre-season & season

Any bets on which club?

I'd place bets on Essendon as she and whole family are Essendon supporters. Looking Likely she'll join.

I'd think that it was based on the mechanisms of how the draft worked during our first couple of years - currently players can nominate the state in which they wish to play, but for our first couple of drafts Victoria was also broken down to Metro, Geelong or 'Open'

Morrison we were always taking with #1, and I'm guessing that Purcell & Webster may have nominated Geelong meaning we could select them later in the draft without fear another team would nab them first.\

But I'm pretty sure SVD nominated as an open selection meaning she was eligible for any Vic side, and maybe she was seen as the best "open" player - don't forget that if she didn't nominate for the Metro region, we would have selected Prespakis instead
That's a fair point. Doesn't change the fact that Sophie has underwhelmed even as a first-round pick, let alone as a top 5 selection.

CARLTON is set to bolster its AFLW attack with a move for highly-regarded Geelong veteran Phoebe McWilliams in a deal that is set to kickstart a busy sign and trade period at Ikon Park.

Womens.afl understands the Blues are on the cusp of an agreement to trade for the 36-year-old McWilliams and are also closing on a move for promising Collingwood midfielder Amelia Velardo.

Not shocked shes looking elsewhere.

Expect Liv Barber to step into her role - provided the rumours about her leaving are not true.

GO Catters

Not shocked shes looking elsewhere.

Expect Liv Barber to step into her role - provided the rumours about her leaving are not true.

GO Catters
Really hope Barber isn't leaving. If so, we're now in a world of hurt in the forward half. Phoebe had a strong season and has really been one of the better vets we've had steering this team through over recent years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back