AFLW AFLW Season 7, Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

IS this normal that the team has managed a goal in 3 quarters? Why are the scores always so low?? What am I missing...
From watching this year it seems like we've got all our best players in the back line or middle.
Kicking seems to be an issue at the moment.
A mark or a free on the 50m line is still 3 kicks from goal with the current forward setup.
There's some decent kicks on the team, but they're all playing in positions that don't get a lot of shots on goal.

From watching this year it seems like we've got all our best players in the back line or middle.
Kicking seems to be an issue at the moment.
A mark or a free on the 50m line is still 3 kicks from goal with the current forward setup.
There's some decent kicks on the team, but they're all playing in positions that don't get a lot of shots on goal.
MY first time watching it longer than a few minutes - turnover central.. No team can keep possession for more than a few seconds lol.. Just gets slingshot back and forth with the worst kicks you will ever see. Maybe the wet ground is making disposal a bit harder but its quite hard to watch at the moment.

MY first time watching it longer than a few minutes - turnover central.. No team can keep possession for more than a few seconds lol.. Just gets slingshot back and forth with the worst kicks you will ever see. Maybe the wet ground is making disposal a bit harder but its quite hard to watch at the moment.
The weather didn't help, but I feel like this team is set up to try and minimise big losses, rather than to kick a winning score. The early wins were more luck than anything. We should not have won those games. Reminiscent of Collingwood in the men's this season.
Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about, so ignore this bit :D

Last edited:
The weather didn't help, but I feel like this team is set up to try and minimise big losses, rather than to kick a winning score. The early wins were more luck than anything. We should not have won those games. Reminiscent of Collingwood in the men's this season.
Fremantle only scored one point against us - of course we should have won that match

We're a pretty good second half team, just need to start switching on & attacking from the first bounce - not just the first bounce of the second half

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel a modicum of shame that I was unable to watch the girls play live on Friday - fortunately there was a full replay on the AFL website and I watched the whole sorry mess (jk).

Very tough conditions.

Amy MacDonald's double-blind turn in the 1st quarter was Aussie Rules Football at its finest; I am in awe of her work in traffic.

Despite another frustrating loss I kind of felt that this was maybe the best that we've played all season; the Kangaroos (our sister team in that we both entered the competition in 2019) are definitely one of the competition's best-drilled teams and we were within striking range of them all game long.

Claudia Gunjaca deserves a lot of kudos for adapting her game to essentially slot into Maddy McMahon's KD role. She's been very solid.

Further respect to Olivia Fuller who has scrapped her way week-by-week to the point where she is a key midfield/ruck presence for this team.

I've advocated for the club's investment in Laura Gardiner to date and she was excellent in the 3rd quarter at Launceston, Gardiner is still only young and has a lot of potential.

Best players: A. McDonald, G. Prespakis, N. Morrison, S. Scott, L. Gardiner

Last edited:
Watched quite a bit of the 2nd half of the GWS - West Coast game currently being played in pristine conditions in Sydney, and I may be biased, but it seems our ball movement, especially in the 2nd half last night, has been crisper than the standard shown in this game, despite the less than ordinary conditions last night. Bodes well for the rest of the season.

Enjoying watching the synergy forming between Morrison and Prespakis too. It seems those two are teaming quite well in the middle and have combined well in several passages of play over the last few weeks.

I know our focus is a little elsewhere this will, but this may bring a cheer our AFLW followers

VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
10 - Georgie Prespakis (GEEL)
7 - Jenna Bruton (NMFC)
5 - Amy McDonald (GEEL)
4 - Jasmine Garner (NMFC)
2 - Ashleigh Riddell (NMFC)
1 - Victoria Wall (NMFC)
1 - Emma Kearney (NMFC)

And having been named BOG or equal BOG across each of the first 4 weeks, we've got a slight breakaway at the top of the leaderboard...

LEADERBOARD​

VOTESPLAYERCLUB
35Georgie PrespakisGEEL
30Jasmine GarnerNMFC
30Kirsty LambWB
29Monique ContiRICH
28Ellie BlackburnWB
28Alyce ParkerGWS
26Madison PrespakisESS
25Amy McDonaldGEEL

Attachments

• 1663582384436.png
    1663582384436.png
    25 KB · Views: 28

Keryk will be good value. Hopefully Darby regains a bit of the spark she showed last year.

Will be interesting to see what Brooke Plummer can bring on debut. She should be challenging the likes of young Friswell - who hasn't quite recaptured her 2021 form imo, mainly due to consistently poor use by foot (she was a consistently great kick last year, too!) and Laura Gardiner, who is yet to nail down her spot in the team.
I'd have persisted with G.Clarke but she hasn't done a ton to advance her cause I will concede. I'd like a bit more from Darcy Moloney this week; she has all the skills but doesn't want to become the next Sophie Van De Heuval; gotta find ways to stay involved #4 Darcy Moloney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back