AFLW AFLW Season 7, Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The cats dominated that game but blew it kicking to the forwards. The kangas brought the level down to a scrap, flooded and fluked a couple of goals. I guess the kangas played to their game plan and the cats didn’t.

Unlucky.
Took some massive strides this year, but still some way too go to catch up to the likes of Brisbane & Melbourne.
Hopefully with the development of our younger players and hopefully a recruit or two we can close that gap rather quickly.

Well that's a bit of an unedifying end to AFLW7 for us - shame, as we can take a lot away from this year.

Loved Emonson's game tonight, although she seemed to run out of ideas a bit toward the end there.

A beleaguered Amy McDonald and hobbled Georgie Prespakis tried their guts out, but we just couldn't get any fluency into our game despite our ascendancy.

Georgie Rankin, Nina and Claudia Gunjaca all put in commendable efforts under the Finals spotlight. The skipper was pretty good too, and Bowen had a great 2nd half. Bel Johnson was fearless. Zali Friswell was gutsy and hard at it.

But others found the pace and pressure too much.

Jackie Parry was barely sighted, Laura Gardiner tackled well but lacked composure with ball in hand, and Becky Webster looked completely bereft of confidence and form.

Bragg was ok in her 2nd game.

Overall it's been great to watch this team grow and improve from seemingly nowhere throughout AFLW7.

Chloe Scheer is an excitement machine, Georgie Prespakis is one of the best mids in the comp at just 19 years old.

Claudia Gunjaca made herself indispensable.

Darcy Moloney and Zali Friswell had some quiet games here and there but their best is excellent and they're still just kids, too.

A couple of points here and there in our favour and we'd have locked down a double chance; wasn't to be but hopefully we can keep the bulk of this group together in 2023 and they can learn from and improve upon what they produced in 2022.

That was frustrating. So many rushed entries to a 2 on 1.

They'll get better

There was two kicks to a 3 on 1, two kicks to a 4 on 1 and two kicks to 3 North players or 2 North players standing on their own in the third.

It was tremendously bad football IQ and there were a few times where a player took a mark, another player ran in their peripheral vision to the boundary on their own, and yet the player with the ball tries to over kick it from 55m to the top of the goal square.

Quite a few were players just getting the ball and immediately playing on and not looking when they kick.

Its something you can fix with some players, but its a really bad habit.

But then its on the forwards or the forwards coaches to recognise that earlier. By the third bad i50 I would have sent the runner out and told 3 forwards to remain in the f50 and 2 to stay 25m dead in front where players are pumping the ball in.

Scott and Scheer are great forward targets, but they need someone to kill those long bomb contests don't they - Parry perhaps not quite up to performing that role to the level required.
Yeah we don't need much, we have a young side that will get better again next year, was easy the most fun watching this side this year,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darby is really the only option we have who can fill that role. Unless we can recruit/draft someone.

We've got a couple of tall girls on the list that are pretty untried. Bragg who was out there tonight isn't without some potential.

Skinner isn't really tall enough for what we're talking about (i.e. tall target who can at least kill the long bomb into F50 - hopefully even pluck one here and there). But Kalani Scoullar is only 18 and 190cm - she only played the two games.

And what happened to Georgia Clarke? She really fell off the radar this year.

Glancing at our list, we have plenty of young talent emerging, we just need to add a couple of experienced players. One forward and one down back in particular.
Our midfield of Fuller, AmyMac, Pres, Morrison, Webster, Bowen, Friswell, Moloney is extremely young. The oldest of that lot is Amy at 24. It is going places.
Scheer and Scott are the only 2 forwards we have that look a goal threat. We need more fire power up front.
If McMahon doesn't come back, a replacement for her would be nice.

There was two kicks to a 3 on 1, two kicks to a 4 on 1 and two kicks to 3 North players or 2 North players standing on their own in the third.

It was tremendously bad football IQ and there were a few times where a player took a mark, another player ran in their peripheral vision to the boundary on their own, and yet the player with the ball tries to over kick it from 55m to the top of the goal square.

Quite a few were players just getting the ball and immediately playing on and not looking when they kick.

Its something you can fix with some players, but its a really bad habit.

But then its on the forwards or the forwards coaches to recognise that earlier. By the third bad i50 I would have sent the runner out and told 3 forwards to remain in the f50 and 2 to stay 25m dead in front where players are pumping the ball in.
Not all of them were rushed either. I distinctly remember scheer, who should know better, taking a mark on 50 then taking a half second to think before kicking directly to a 2 on 1 on the side disadvantaging the cats player.

I think also though that if we went equal numbers forward we probably wouldn't be sending it there to begin with

Not all of them were rushed either. I distinctly remember scheer, who should know better, taking a mark on 50 then taking a half second to think before kicking directly to a 2 on 1 on the side disadvantaging the cats player.

I think also though that if we went equal numbers forward we probably wouldn't be sending it there to begin with
I don't think many of them were rushed or dump kicks at all. I remember 4 specifically bad ones were marks, and the player plays on immediate, runs past the person on the mark and then either straight to a contest or to a Norhf player.

We've got a couple of tall girls on the list that are pretty untried. Bragg who was out there tonight isn't without some potential.

Skinner isn't really tall enough for what we're talking about (i.e. tall target who can at least kill the long bomb into F50 - hopefully even pluck one here and there). But Kalani Scoullar is only 18 and 190cm - she only played the two games.

And what happened to Georgia Clarke? She really fell off the radar this year.

No idea what the deal is with Clarke. It's a mystery.

The other one is Gabbi Featherston. I thought she showed some real promise last season but was unsighted this campaign.

No idea what the deal is with Clarke. It's a mystery.

The other one is Gabbi Featherston. I thought she showed some real promise last season but was unsighted this campaign.

Yeah true.

Anyway, we got way more out of this list in AFLW7 than I expected.

But that doesn't mean we will keep the same group together nor does it mean we are any guarantee of matching this season's results.

Be good to get more games into Plummer.

You walk away from tonight frustrated, but you walk away from this season with a sense of pride, heads held high and optimism for what's ahead in season 2023 & beyond

We played some good & exciting football across the season, with a more attacking game style that was fun to watch

But when teams wanted to flood back and make it a defence heavy game, we showed struggles of previous seasons - we have an ability to control vast stretchers of the game before again breaking down that 1 -> 2 kicks from goal, and we haven't found the right CHF option

We've seen some young players take the next steps in their careers this year, future leaders developing before our eyes and can't help feeling there's a positive future ahead for this team IF they stay together and continue with the development we saw this season - and let's see what moves the off field team have in stall for this off-season & trade period

Tonight was annoying, but this team is going to be better for the experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Back