Women's Footy AFLW Season Seven

Remove this Banner Ad

So who’s on the radar draft wise?

AFL royally screwed us last draft. We should have had at least pick 2, before the west coast priority picks.

Won’t know who looks good until next year for draftees either.

Just having a chat about this on my board

Georgie Cleaver should be the #1 picked WA player - forward/ruck

Followed by

Kaitlyn Srhoj #2 - outside mid

Then

Jamie Henry #3 inside bull

That’s probably the top 3

WAFLW season and the 18s will give us more ideas as those seasons commence

Áine in Rd 4 team of the week at CHF.

Clap Aine GIF by Fremantle Dockers

Roux in for Scanlon (injured)
West Coast bring in Bushby who was one of their high draft picks from last year who was in the AFLW academy.

I'm liking Megan Kauffman's season so far...she feels like a 'find'. Also Aine Tighe continues to impress. But outside that, out team feels very 'meh'.

And the results this year don't really surprise me. I feel like the system has just totally broken down without the dynamic types like Sharp and Duffy and Houghton in the forward line to chase those chaos balls in. To me it just feels we're still trying to do similar things, hack the ball forward at any cost. But without those girls who had combinations of smarts, speeds and ability to mark - it doesn't seem to come off. When we try to move the ball with a bit more precision, we look okay-ish...but our lack of skills generally show us up.

I just don't get what people see in Mim Strom. As a ruck she doesn't often give us first look or win hit outs to advantage, and her tackling/bodywork is appalling. Around the ground she positions herself well and her kicking is okay (albeit that hideous shank in the dying stages last weekend..) but overall, I think she's poor. I think with a better ruck we wouldn't be so exposed, but it's not all on her - the mids have been quite underwhelming, although Turbo's ferocity never wanes. I wish her and Miller wouldn't always throw the ball on boot though, almost 90% of the time...we lack absolute composure and just the belief we can move it around a bit more and cut through with some attempt at precision. They NEED to re-find this!

Obviously it's more than just this but it's disappointing to see us lose some personnel - GOOD personnel and hit the draft but not really have the gameplan or style tweaked to move forward beyond where we've been.....and can't discredit the massive loss Ebony is, she was a real factor in why we won a lot last year....her x factor is enormous! Plus the draft shafting!! Urghhhhh!

Hopefully the girls can just find a way to give some newbies the first taste of a win today....best of luck ladies

I'm liking Megan Kauffman's season so far...she feels like a 'find'. Also Aine Tighe continues to impress. But outside that, out team feels very 'meh'.

And the results this year don't really surprise me. I feel like the system has just totally broken down without the dynamic types like Sharp and Duffy and Houghton in the forward line to chase those chaos balls in. To me it just feels we're still trying to do similar things, hack the ball forward at any cost. But without those girls who had combinations of smarts, speeds and ability to mark - it doesn't seem to come off. When we try to move the ball with a bit more precision, we look okay-ish...but our lack of skills generally show us up.

I just don't get what people see in Mim Strom. As a ruck she doesn't often give us first look or win hit outs to advantage, and her tackling/bodywork is appalling. Around the ground she positions herself well and her kicking is okay (albeit that hideous shank in the dying stages last weekend..) but overall, I think she's poor. I think with a better ruck we wouldn't be so exposed, but it's not all on her - the mids have been quite underwhelming, although Turbo's ferocity never wanes. I wish her and Miller wouldn't always throw the ball on boot though, almost 90% of the time...we lack absolute composure and just the belief we can move it around a bit more and cut through with some attempt at precision. They NEED to re-find this!

Obviously it's more than just this but it's disappointing to see us lose some personnel - GOOD personnel and hit the draft but not really have the gameplan or style tweaked to move forward beyond where we've been.....and can't discredit the massive loss Ebony is, she was a real factor in why we won a lot last year....her x factor is enormous! Plus the draft shafting!! Urghhhhh!

Hopefully the girls can just find a way to give some newbies the first taste of a win today....best of luck ladies
I agree on Mim. Would prefer it if we got a better ruck and found another role for Mim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back