Women's Footy AFLW Season Seven

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Cooper a lot - but I've become increasingly concerned over the last 18 months that our game style is being overtaken by the teams with greater skills. Cooper's high pressure bomb it long game style has probably had its day - and sadly whilst I accept the team has been ravaged by injuries there weren't even the tiniest of green shoots of a more skills based game on show. It's possible maybe even probable that he's been overtaken by many other coaches out there.

I like Cooper a lot - but I've become increasingly concerned over the last 18 months that our game style is being overtaken by the teams with greater skills. Cooper's high pressure bomb it long game style has probably had its day - and sadly whilst I accept the team has been ravaged by injuries there weren't even the tiniest of green shoots of a more skills based game on show. It's possible maybe even probable that he's been overtaken by many other coaches out there.
Personnel issue though, not coaching

Imagine if the players came on here and read this rubbish from pedestrians
It happens in the men's threads though too (in fact all over the damn site really!), the gameday thread is downright embarrassing at times and makes for appalling reading when people's emotions turn to outraged mush. I made comment on it myself and more or less got pillared for it, you can't be 'critical' of those losing their mental faculties over a competitive sports game like they bet their 5 children on the outcome! That seems to be their god-given right, so....fair enough, I step aside.

By the way, not making excuses for it - totally agree with you and the comments regarding Turbo are bizarre at best, but....this appears to be the "BigFooty" way.....Burning Mississippi and all that. It's why I'm glad I don't live my life on here.

I've learnt the hard-way. You can't cherry pick the best bits of life and only include them along for the ride....that's just the 'reality' of the way of things. It's why I tend to keep a lower profile. But it's sad how "serious" people take things here, especially other's achievements as if vicariously they were living their lives through them, it's something I've never been fully privy to

I'd love to see North surprise everyone and win it from 8th this season. They played all 7 other teams in the top 8! Failing that so long as Melbourne don't win I'll be happy :) Not that I don't like their players but the way the AFL has set it up for them to win irks me.
One step closer! C'mon North... keep going and win the whole thing.

Apparently she's no good
Big props to Emma OiDriscoll being 4th in B & F voting! She might have the loopiest of loopy kicks but she gives her all and is only 21!

Pretty good top ten! I wonder if we will see Jess Low back in the midfield as a tagger one day

TOP 10
Kiara Bowers – 169
Hayley Miller – 114
Aine Tighe – 110
Emma O’Driscoll – 103
Ange Stannett – 98
Laura Pugh – 96
Mim Strom – 93
Sarah Verrier – 91
Megan Kauffman - 88
Jess Low - 83

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Q&A with coach Coops
Cheers Dale for all your efforts sharing content. This was an interesting read...

I feel for Coops here. He's really honest and blunt - the 2nd season crammed in so quickly with the loss of those staff, including the really important Kate Starre was telling...we got worse, compounded with lots of injuries plus the shafting of losing Houghton and Cain without fair compensation because of the 3 expansions teams being 'squeezed' in....I felt the writing was on the wall with the team, although we did well last year it felt like we did it mainly off the boot of Miller and E. Antonio.

Also, making no excuses for some dismal performances (we looked ragtag at times, bereft of what we were trying to do/achieve) - but with such a list going much deeper into the drafts by necessity, it's always going to be hard. Other contenders' lists were not gutted like ours....the Duffy debacle didn't help either, nor does it having Sharp on the sidelines missing so much AFLW footy. It might be hard for her to get back and to an optimal level given she's missed 2 years now......having Morrison out and Tuks out for most of it hurt too, as well as the mercurial E.Antonio. I felt like Miller was down and not her usual self and I'm hoping it was more injury-related than the "burden" of being Captain (it doesn't suit everybody..).

Overall the list is imbalanced, it has some good young talent and some stalwarts still kicking it, but unfortunately a LOT of driftwood and low end draft picks that are making up the numbers because they have too, it's not aligned with this idea of a flag by 2025. I reckon it takes at least 3 seasons barring injury for draftees to find their feet with such a shortage of games and even then you'd want to be higher drafts I suppose, there's no guarantees. It looks like a fair mountain to climb from here as you'd imagine E.Antonio might be gone before 2025 (?). I'd argue she is critical to any flag chance this current team may have if something incredible clicked into place. Of course it shouldn't (and hopefully won't) all fall on her shoulders.....but still.

It was a tough season and the girls just didn't have the cohesion the 2019/2020 teams did. They had so much firepower in the forward line even when the tactic felt like just kick a chaos ball in...get it forward at all costs, the forward line could get it done by going to work, but after 2020 it felt like a trip-switch got thrown and that tactic no longer had the same dynamics at play....then you look at what could have been with players like Duffy, J.Stewart and Grieve and you realise the team has chopped and changed too much and not good enough to settle to be a top 4 contender with Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide; so it's not unexpected to me this happened.

Sad really, but not really sure what the next coach can do with this list to be honest, I think it's a long way off the pace now and that 2020 season was probably our hottest chance to date to snare this club an elusive first premiership - f***ing Covid. Feels like the window was very small compared to a men's team and that ship has sailed, ironically. Long way back I reckon and definitely not confident this varient of the club can be premiers by end of 2025 or thereabouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back