Women's Footy AFLW Season Seven

Remove this Banner Ad

I just can't agree with sacking him

I'll say this, if we do sack him then another club will pick him up right away, he is clearly a top 10 coach in the women's game still

In Mens there are a number of coaches ready to step up, this isn't quite the case yet for the womens league, the games are too different for a crossover and the elite coaches generally want to be coaching in the mens competition (not all but obviously most)

We have teams swapping coaches every year trying to find one that sticks, we would be silly to just dump Cooper.

Only small chance is if we somehow poach another teams coach but I don't think the money is there in the womens league to make that play
Seconded

I am not sure which coach could deal with the draft concessions against us, the loss two of our best players to expansion and the injuries across the season. ( Hands up who thinks Miller was carrying an injury all year!) This is not to even mention how shattered they must have been with back to back seasons including a hub.

Sucks to be not in finals but we discovered two players in the future in Scanlon and Stribley. Kaufmann will be handy for the next couple of years. I am also curious to see how Read develops.

Get Morrison and Sharp back next year and our forward line looks a lot more damaging. Ebony for a season will be a much needed addition as will be keeping Cuthbert on the field. No one like i her and her X factor in the team. Also Tuhakaraina for every game will be good too

Tip of the hate to O'Driscoll for a break out year.

I am presuming with another compromised draft we may pick some of our train on players.

If you're making the case for a coaching change you'd be referring to the ball movement patterns coming out of defence heading into the corridor far too soon resulting in turnover. But you're also going to need to accept that while a long kick down the line might be easier to defend its actually far more likely the result in a turnover because a miss kick rolling out of bounds is just as bad.

We need three Tighes

Forgot to also say that I love Hayley Miller but she was clearly carrying a niggle and shouldn't have been playing on ball imo. Thought when she got taken off the ball in the 4th we started to finally win some clearances and could then lock in behind the ball and took the game away from the Hawks. I get that O'Sullivan and Gore both being unavailable left us a bit short of experience inside but thought Kauffman was solid and East was ok as well alongside Bowers.

Concern for next season is our best 5 players includes 4 over 30 (Bowers, Antonio, Tighe and Cuthbertson). But that's probably true of most teams.

I'm not against a new coach but I highly doubt they'll do it before next season.

I think Trent had to deal with a fair bit going against him this season. Lost a couple of his best players to other teams. Had an awful injury list. The stars (sans Tighe) all had horrible pre-seasons so even when they did play they were underdone (except Bowers who I'm not sure is human). Lost some key staff - both coaches and S&C.

And worst of all was probably having a tough draw. We were one of only 3 teams to play 6 of the top 8 sides (and 5 of the top 6). North and Freo were the only two teams to play all of the three powerhouses in Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide (they all played each other though).

Meanwhile Melbourne managed to only have to play 2 of the top 6 teams (Brisbane and Adelaide). Could the AFL be any more obvious about who they want to win this season?

We lost all 6 games against top 8 teams. We won 3 and drew 1 against the teams in the bottom half. We played some awful football but also played some good football.

I'd love to see North surprise everyone and win it from 8th this season. They played all 7 other teams in the top 8! Failing that so long as Melbourne don't win I'll be happy :) Not that I don't like their players but the way the AFL has set it up for them to win irks me.

Like to think that some of the experimenting has been because we weren't going to make finals and just seeing how the girls play in different positions. As much as I found it a bit frustrating seeing O'Driscoll in the forward line when we could have used her in defence.

One shift that I thought worked a little bit against Hawthorn was Hyde in defence. Hadn't seen her play there before, and she seemed to position herself well to contest the ball coming in and used the ball neatly with lots of ground ahead of her - getting free a couple of times with some candy selling sidesteps through congestion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard way back to the top now. So many teams now and quite a few have improved a lot. Will be really difficult to challenge for finals next season.

Feels a bit like a wasted window now, so 2020 hurts really bad.

Hard way back to the top now. So many teams now and quite a few have improved a lot. Will be really difficult to challenge for finals next season.

Feels a bit like a wasted window now, so 2020 hurts really bad.

Yep, we had our chances, which one was taken away and the other we royally ****ed up. It's now going to be tough and time consuming to get back up there.

Only surprise was that he was out of contract. Thought he had another season, which would have seen him stay and see through another year of transition.

Be interesting to see if we have anyone earmarked for the role or not.

Too soon for Kara.

Only surprise was that he was out of contract. Thought he had another season, which would have seen him stay and see through another year of transition.

Too soon for Kara.
The 2 seasons in one year thing made it interesting, he technically signed for 2 years just last year but I guess that meant two seasons

The 2 seasons in one year thing made it interesting, he technically signed for 2 years just last year but I guess that meant two seasons

Pretty harsh for what he had to deal with Large amount of injuries, losing good players to expansion clubs, retirements 2 seasons in 1 year.

I felt we had stagnated or gone backwards (probably through no fault of the coach). Need to do something to turn things around.

Too soon for Kara.
Yeah likewise didn’t realise he was out of contract. Feels a little harsh, but equally would have been dicey to extend him for 2+ years at this point, and a 1 year deal for a coach is pointless

Remove this Banner Ad

Back