Game Day 2019 AFLW Semi-Final: Crows vs Cats (@Adelaide Oval 12.40pm 24/3/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Some team stats for the day, including a bunch of "nearly" AFLW records to go along with the lowest score against in AFLW history.

Crows won the disposal count 238 - 171.

Crows won the tackle count 83-48, that's frankly absurd. 83 tackles is the equal-second highest tackle count in AFLW history (tied with Brisbane in Rd 4 2018), behind Fremantle's count of 90 in Rd 6 2019 which ironically was also against Geelong.

Crows won the inside 50s 45 - 14. That puts us in second place for all time most inside 50s in the AFLW (behind our own effort of 46 inside 50s in round 6, 2019). Other than Collingwood's 12 inside 50s in round 2, Geelong's had the lowest inside 50 count for the year (and you have to go back to 2017 to find other lower counts).

Fantastic win for the girls, they are fast, strong and skilful. Even better is that they can't be intimidated by being bodied around. Pretty much the perfect team balance.

Now I am going to say this again. The AFLW need better umpires. The way they umpire holding the ball is a complete joke and is at the very far end of leniency to the person being tackled you can go. On one hand you had free kicks being blown for minor high tackles, throws and push in the backs but when it came to holding the ball, some players were allowed to run around 3 opponents, try and break tackles, get tackled and its a bounce. That sort of umpiring is going to grate on high tackling teams and I for one blame the umpires for the obvious verbal spray that one umpire got from the crows which gave them the only shots at goal they had. The umpiring department can't expect to get respect from players by umpiring the way they do in the AFLW. Ive personally spoken to a few players and they haven't even been advised how the umpires will interpret rules.

Fantastic win today, a completely dominating performance. Especially loved the pressure, shepherding and protection of the ball carrier which seemed to be happening all the time when we had possession. Then there was the tackle pressure when we weren't in possession - wowee! Was pretty clear early on that Geelong were outclassed and didn’t really deserve to be playing finals and as the game was wrapped up after half time, there was one point in the third quarter where it looked like Phillips, Randall and Marinoff were all resting on the bench in preparation for the GF.

Also just finished watching the R2 game against Carlton again – reassuringly it took them 10 minutes for their first inside 50, with their first 2 goals also resulting from free kicks. Can’t find the stats anywhere, but they called the inside 50s in the first quarter being 12-4 in our favour despite only leading by a couple of points and it ended around 37-19. Despite all that we still went scoreless in the second quarter, but I can’t see that happening again.

Quite interesting to see how our team has evolved since then with the pressure stuff mentioned above being hardly sighted back then. I think it was also Stevie-Lee’s first game in the forward line where she’s been ever since her 4 goal outing, and also Ponter’s first game although she played in defence. Randall was out injured, and Sophie Li was her replacement who’s also been able to keep her spot.

Marinoff was tagged out for the first half – don’t think they called her name once. After first matching up Brianna Davey on Erin, they tried to tag her with Jess Edwards. Have a feeling we can expect to see tactic again next week, but I think our team will definitely be stronger than it was in R2. Can’t seem to find a team list to compare, but the main outs versus today seem to be Perkins, Sally Riley and the netball rookie Maisie Nankervall. While she laid a few good tackles and kicked a nice goal in our comeback, Perkins unfortunately looks to be too slow for the current level of play, with rebounding defenders having little trouble being able to get away from her.

Yesterday we brought a hardness over the ball impressive for a mens comp. They had Geelong players looking twice when going for the ball. Everytime Geelong got the ball, they found themselves surrounded. Knowing they're about to get brutal tackling.

The hits were fair, no malice or spite until Geelong started getting dirty. Someone's taught our players exactly how to use the Body, when to pressure and how to pressure opponents bodies. There's an adept coach getting through to our players. But who is teaching them this? It's how finals should be played and will win you everytime against sides that can't match it.

They'll bring it Sunday and win well.

Ok been a big weekend in Adelaide for me and had some reflection. Not gonna talk about the men's cos that was abysmal but if you were near the hill and leaving during the last quarter and some drunk guy yelled at you about not being able to leave and 'take your medicine' that was me sorry but not really sorry

The women however were fantastic - just gonna mention a few thingsi noticed- 1 thing for.Geelong and credit to them their marking game was far superior - if Adelaide had their marking game it would have been close to 100 pts

And a second note we got their about an hour before the game and saw them warmup and Andrew Mcleod was about 35 metres from us running drills with the midfielders and holy cow his physique is amazing he should still be playing with the mens still

AnywY jist things i noticed everyone mentioned everything elae already

Remove this Banner Ad

Back