AFLW: The 'low scoring' myth

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
The women’s matches are roughly half the length of the men’s.

The women’s game has been limited to 15-minute quarters with time on given only for stoppages due to injury or a goal; it is intended to be a fast, exciting, no stoppage game. In contrast, the majority of the quarters played last season in the AFLM exceeded 30 minutes In the 2017 AFLM season, the average team score was 89. If we halved that to account for the halved playing time, the average would be 44.5, which is comparable to AFLW scores.

In conclusion, if you think the AFLW is low scoring, you probably failed maths.

Thank you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're playing on smaller grounds, which is why they are scoring at an equivalent level.

Neither of those things are true. You have a bad rep and that post didn't help it TBH

I don't know you from a bar of soap though so I'll give you right of reply before judging

They can't run as fast or kick as far but the field is the same size, of course they will score less

^^This. The average kicking distance would be maybe 35m (no AFL player has a range less than 45m), means you generally need to get the ball inside that range to score and allows teams to press back further defensively. It also means it takes at least 4 kicks to move the ball the length of the field as opposed to 3.

s**t thread is s**t.

^^This. The average kicking distance would be maybe 35m (no AFL player has a range less than 45m), means you generally need to get the ball inside that range to score and allows teams to press back further defensively. It also means it takes at least 4 kicks to move the ball the length of the field as opposed to 3.

s**t thread is s**t.

*en hell I'm agreeing with Starburns

Lock thread

I assume this originated as a Bay thread, which is too scary a place for my liking. But it's on the women's footy board now so I may as well chime in.

There's actually a few myths about AFLW scoring, which is bound to happen when the most-watched game of this H&A season was an outlier. The bigger picture looks like this:
AFLW2018_R7_Scores_zpsj7xxdiek.png

Not only has scoring increased from season 1 to season 2, it has also pretty much reliably improved across both years from round to round.

I assume this originated as a Bay thread, which is too scary a place for my liking. But it's on the women's footy board now so I may as well chime in.

There's actually a few myths about AFLW scoring, which is bound to happen when the most-watched game of this H&A season was an outlier. The bigger picture looks like this:
AFLW2018_R7_Scores_zpsj7xxdiek.png

Not only has scoring increased from season 1 to season 2, it has also pretty much reliably improved across both years from round to round.
Seriously? Have you forgotten they changed the rules?

The memo, not a rule change per se, but as good as.
I assumed that's what you meant, I was just wondering if you remembered when that was introduced.

Fwiw it came in between rounds 1 and 2 of 2018. Doesn't really correlate with what the comparisons show on the graph, I don't see any reason there to think the memo had an effect on scoring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back