AFLW - The Round 7 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In the nation's capital tonight, which has produced a couple of decent AFLW games in seasons past. Round 7 was also the highest in scoring for both '17 and '18 so it'd be nice if we see that again.

Other than a few impressive debut seasons, nothing much has gone right for the Giants in 2019 so I guess the question is what the long-term fallout will be. I'm curious about the future of Courtney Gum, who has looked a bit more like somebody in their mid-to-late 30s than she did in her Player's Association MVP year, and whether a standout performance to close out GWS's third campaign will have any influence on decisions.

And aside from age and injury, they've also had two All Australians in Dal Pos and Bernardi who haven't performed near their best for long enough. On top of that, Farrugia (who I think should've been AA last year) has struggled a bit so I'd be surprised if her load isn't lightened going forward, ie expecting Eva to take over the captaincy after this match.

Geelong may not even need to win this to make finals, but it would certainly make for a less stressful weekend if they do. Paul Hood has kept it pretty real in his pressers in terms of where he thinks the team is at, nevertheless it's still a golden opportunity that any club would be keen to grab with both hands.

And frankly, grabbing things with both hands is what these Cats seem to do best--be it their marking through forwards like McWilliams and Boyd, strong tackling throughout their midfield, or all of the above by defenders like McDonald and McMahon.

In the nation's capital tonight, which has produced a couple of decent AFLW games in seasons past. Round 7 was also the highest in scoring for both '17 and '18 so it'd be nice if we see that again.

Other than a few impressive debut seasons, nothing much has gone right for the Giants in 2019 so I guess the question is what the long-term fallout will be. I'm curious about the future of Courtney Gum, who has looked a bit more like somebody in their mid-to-late 30s than she did in her Player's Association MVP year, and whether a standout performance to close out GWS's third campaign will have any influence on decisions.

And aside from age and injury, they've also had two All Australians in Dal Pos and Bernardi who haven't performed near their best for long enough. On top of that, Farrugia (who I think should've been AA last year) has struggled a bit so I'd be surprised if her load isn't lightened going forward, ie expecting Eva to take over the captaincy after this match.

Geelong may not even need to win this to make finals, but it would certainly make for a less stressful weekend if they do. Paul Hood has kept it pretty real in his pressers in terms of where he thinks the team is at, nevertheless it's still a golden opportunity that any club would be keen to grab with both hands.

And frankly, grabbing things with both hands is what these Cats seem to do best--be it their marking through forwards like McWilliams and Boyd, strong tackling throughout their midfield, or all of the above by defenders like McDonald and McMahon.
With our season sadly done, this ones about the jumper for us.

Just hope for a good showing.

With our season sadly done, this ones about the jumper for us.

Just hope for a good showing.
Well they sure ended up managing that, as well as avoiding the spoon and ensuring a better win-loss than season 1 at least. Also did a huge favour for some other Conference B teams in the process.

Carlton will play finals now even if they lose by 100 pts on Sunday, although there's no reason to think they aren't at least a 50-50 chance to beat the Bulldogs.

So the intrigue in that section of the league narrows down to Victoria Park, a win by any margin there for the Lions and they'll edge Geelong out for a top 2 spot. Problem is we just don't know what we're going to get week-to-week from Brisbane this year. But a prelim against Adelaide possibly up for grabs, another chapter in the rivalry, sounds enticing to me.

Threatening to blow out like the earlier game, time enough for the Kangas to turn it around at least. Throw the game plan out the window if 3 good short kicks is gonna keep coming at the cost of one basic error. But more than that, Fremantle are just getting more numbers to where and when it matters most.

Surprising to see the full Matthew Lloyd type cast on Bresnehan's arm, couldn't understand what the hold-up was for her to get back till now.

Freo with the fast start and applying more pressure on the ball-carrier. North with all the drowsy symptoms in defence that stood out in their loss to Adelaide.

Big ground and they have been looking tired for the last couple of weeks. Geelong have looked to have similar issues and I wonder if it is compounded by the bulk of their teams playing almost full seasons in the VFLW.

I know from the Crows side, most of our players didn't play the full season because of the restrictions on them as NT Thunder players and Noffy sat out most of the season too. She reported that she is running further and quicker than she ever has because of resting over winter and coming in fresh for pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was kind of hoping that Freo would not win just so that the A2 team would not have to travel and thus be more likely to advance to the grand final.

Fremantle should still be too good for Carlton though, even in Melbourne. No team will come close to Adelaide anyway.

Last edited:
Feels like it should have been a 40+ margin in the end, at least three sitters squandered by the Dockers come to mind. Might've been the most conservative style of football they've played all season while giving their most dominant siren-to-siren performance, which is a bit of a drag yet often prone to happen in true sudden death affairs. One thing I'm mulling over, who is finishing fifth in their B&F? Got the four standouts and pretty even after that I reckon.

Big ground and they have been looking tired for the last couple of weeks. Geelong have looked to have similar issues and I wonder if it is compounded by the bulk of their teams playing almost full seasons in the VFLW.

I know from the Crows side, most of our players didn't play the full season because of the restrictions on them as NT Thunder players and Noffy sat out most of the season too. She reported that she is running further and quicker than she ever has because of resting over winter and coming in fresh for pre-season.
Well I think you could definitely make that case for Duffin who seemingly slowed down these last two weeks. Not only did she have a busy VFL season but obviously a full Big Bash on top of that. However my recollection is most other North players had a decent amount of rest throughout the 2018 winter.

Imagine having a massive recruiting advantage and being talked up as garenteed flag winners only to miss finals. Sheesh!
GWS were clear flag favourites on this board (Bulldogs second), there was a poll and errthang.

My god the Crows are a super side. Went out to Casey Fields to watch and was blown away by the standard and the hard running. I didn’t think Melb played all that poorly 1st half but Crows were all over them. There is no doubt they look fitter, stronger and faster than anyone else. They have timed their run absolutely perfectly.

Feels like it should have been a 40+ margin in the end, at least three sitters squandered by the Dockers come to mind. Might've been the most conservative style of football they've played all season while giving their most dominant siren-to-siren performance, which is a bit of a drag yet often prone to happen in true sudden death affairs. One thing I'm mulling over, who is finishing fifth in their B&F? Got the four standouts and pretty even after that I reckon.

Well I think you could definitely make that case for Duffin who seemingly slowed down these last two weeks. Not only did she have a busy VFL season but obviously a full Big Bash on top of that. However my recollection is most other North players had a decent amount of rest throughout the 2018 winter.

GWS were clear flag favourites on this board (Bulldogs second), there was a poll and errthang.
We got caught out by the season ending just when we were hitting form.

I am kind if pleased the VFLW focus has been shown up as the season progressed. Looks like the girls who played VFLW had a head start, but that's all.

My god the Crows are a super side. Went out to Casey Fields to watch and was blown away by the standard and the hard running. I didn’t think Melb played all that poorly 1st half but Crows were all over them. There is no doubt they look fitter, stronger and faster than anyone else. They have timed their run absolutely perfectly.

What scares me about watching my team is that we haven't played to our best for full games yet! The basics are so very well done in terms of the positioning and structure that they keep to, but even in that Melbourne game there were moments that I felt that could have been capitalised on better with some other options being provided etc.

I was lucky enough to go and hear Matthew Clarke speak to the team before a training session and watch a little bit of one once and it's very noticeable how much those players hang on to every one of his words and just absorb and then put it into training. He keeps things fairly simple but always in mind for who the opponent is about to be. Having such an experienced coach from the AFL system - plus two premiership players in Caven and McLeod are a little handy to have as part of the coaching group. What was also really obvious is how much fun they have at training while working hard. That has been something that is noticeable in our men's team over this pre-season and it seems Clarke also implemented that in the women's team.

What scares me about watching my team is that we haven't played to our best for full games yet! The basics are so very well done in terms of the positioning and structure that they keep to, but even in that Melbourne game there were moments that I felt that could have been capitalised on better with some other options being provided etc.

I was lucky enough to go and hear Matthew Clarke speak to the team before a training session and watch a little bit of one once and it's very noticeable how much those players hang on to every one of his words and just absorb and then put it into training. He keeps things fairly simple but always in mind for who the opponent is about to be. Having such an experienced coach from the AFL system - plus two premiership players in Caven and McLeod are a little handy to have as part of the coaching group. What was also really obvious is how much fun they have at training while working hard. That has been something that is noticeable in our men's team over this pre-season and it seems Clarke also implemented that in the women's team.

Yes there were many missed chances. Set shots seem to be be an issue but it is on the improve.

There is no doubt that they check in their egos (if they exist) at the door in the AFLW. Men's footy is full of "know alls" while women are like sponges, wanting to learn as much as possible so they can be better players. The girls also play with tremendous spirit. They play it bloody hard but have genuine care if any player goes down even if they are wearing oppo colours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back