Roast AFLW Tiresome Debate Thread

Great article by Penberthy in the Tiser today, initially referencing Obama, where he discussed how more prevalent are becoming the incidences where individuals and small groups often throw terms like racism, bigotry, xenophobia, etc around like confetti, just to try to intimidate often innocent people into not feeling comfortable in expressing their views - which in many cases are the result of quite genuine discussions being undertaken, and to make a point, and rarely intended to deride or castigate others.

I have often felt that people probably need to chill a bit, before shooting from the hip in response to other people's opinions, and wrongly labelling them (or their motives) as an affront to their own supremely infallible knowledge base.

Everyone thinks they know better than anyone else what is truth and what is lies. But it all comes down in many caes to individual opinions - and who can say unequivocally which of us is right and which are right when discussing an issue?

Sometimes the real position is not at either end of a very broad spectrum, but somewhere in between, where we often never seem to meet that often.
you lost me at penbo

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
You talk big about numbers for a guy providing none he hasn’t made up

There's a local women's soccer team that is 100% homosexual. Source: mates mum is club president.

Such a thing randomly occurring in male sorts would be unheard of.

I feel confident that these numbers don't drop off rapidly as the level increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only ratios gays guys playing team sports was anything close to lesbian females who do.
Yes its a shame the disappointing open prejudices of their peers keep many gay men out of team sports.

There's a local women's soccer team that is 100% homosexual. Source: mates mum is club president.

I feel confident that these numbers don't drop off rapidly as the level increases.
Cool, how does that have relevance to the supposed ‘High Incidence Of Predatory Dinosaurs Lesbians’

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Yes its a shame the disappointing open prejudices of their peers keep many gay men out of team sports.

Not only gay guys, but also guys like me who didn't feel comfortable in his teen years around the aggressive heterosexuality when he was kinda nerdy and wasn't that interested in chasing girls.

This one?

AN Adelaide Crows women’s footballer reportedly claimed she was the victim of sexual harassment by an opponent from Greater Western Sydney during a recent AFLW match between the clubs.
According to a report in Fairfax Media, a GWS player allegedly touched the bottom of a Crows footballer and made lewd comments to her.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cool, how does that have relevance to the supposed ‘High Incidence Of Predatory Dinosaurs Lesbians’

I'm not defending that, I don't agree with it, but it is incomparable to a situation where all the team are attracted to the opposite sex, and I thought I was replying to a post where you questioned if the numbers of lesbians to heterosexual women in sport was even that high.

I'm not defending that, I don't agree with it, but it is incomparable to a situation where all the team are attracted to the opposite sex, and I thought I was replying to a post where you questioned if the numbers of lesbians to heterosexual women in sport was even that high.
oh hell no i’m not making that case

There are a number of openly gay Rugby Union teams in Australia and around the world.

Exhibit a, b, c and that was the first three articles on google.

This is males playing what was traditionally a male sport

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dont want to prolong this discussion too much, but forget equal playing ability as a determination of the merits of AFLW players getting better remunerated. It's been a big issue in women's tennis for some time. In the end it comes down to marketability, and sponsor appeal.

We have just had a woman - Ash Barty - win the biggest winners check, male or female, in tennis history. Yet if she were to play against the #1 men's player, she would struggle to win a point! Some of you pups werent born then, but I remember watching women's tennis in the 60's and 70's, and being bored out of my skull! I am a tennis player & lover, and can honestly say I have watched more women's tennis this year then the men's. Yes, partly due to Ash Barty's involvement, but I have been enthralled by it.

Similarly, I am bored witless by AFLW at present, but I daresay, put a Port team in there & I will def watch it, and probably love it! Anyway, my (or any other male here) being disinterested in it now, is irrelevant. We are not the target market. My wife is bored witless by AFL footy. She will go with me to a match as long as she has a book or her iPad with her! But turn on AFLW, and she wants to watch it. Go figure!

Today, young girls are piling into AFLW, and loving it. Regardless of negative views, we need to chill, sit back, & watch this sport find its feet. Its growth potential, hence marketing and sponsorship potential is HUGE!

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I touched a blokes bum when I was playing in the forward pocket once I took the easiest of marks as he scooted out my way I believe Rick Davies was famous for it.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Yeah, some talking past each other inadvertently here.

My takes (at risk of attacks from all sides).
1. Most people, no matter their sexual orientation aren't out to prey on anyone. Any who do, regardless of orientation are scum.
2. There's an actual higher % of gay women in team sports, then gay men.
3. Gay men suffer more discrimination in team sports than gay women and subsequently are less likely to 'out themselves'.
4. Point 3 skews any figures, hard or anecdotal 'I've been told', to make it appear more of a gap then there is, but doesn't also change point 2.
5. It's no one's business what anyone's orientation is, if they don't want to share it.
6. Despite point 5, I'd be happy with Port to have the first openly gay player, to give those who support AFL someone to help identify with as both openly gay and a top level sportsman in a sport they support. As well as somewhat cynically the first club with an openly gay player has a good chance of getting a flock of new supporters (more than outnumbering any troglodytes lost, who are somehow shocked that all AFL clubs have players gay and/or bi).