Roast AFLW Tiresome Debate Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's in its infancy. In more established women's sports like tennis, golf (disclaimer: I hate golf), and soccer the standard is very high and the country has no problem rallying around athletes like Ash Barty and Sam Kerr as Aussie sporting heroes. Cricket is getting there and it's even happening in sports like darts seeing the crowd at the Ally Pally go mad over Fallon Sherrock at the recent World Championships. I personally much prefer watching the Matildas play than the Socceroos, something I would never have thought possible 5 years ago.

It's going to improve and we are sitting on the sidelines despite it being the perfect vehicle for the "challenger brand" that we're supposedly meant to be.

I understand that when a new professional sport it takes time to develop a pool of players who meet the standard.

But AFLW is so poor that the sport isn’t even “intact”. Even at the fundamental level of “kick the ball to that player, and that player marks it” is not being met, and showing no signs of improvement. Soccer in its infancy was a bit shaky, but still soccer. And you are right, the matildas are great.

But AFLW is like a depressing parody of AFL. That coupled with how much people are being urged to pretend to like it makes me think it’s doomed.

It’s like being forced to eat feces at gunpoint and then say how inspiring it is. It sucks. And anyone who says it doesn’t suck is lying.

I understand that when a new professional sport it takes time to develop a pool of players who meet the standard.

But AFLW is so poor that the sport isn’t even “intact”. Even at the fundamental level of “kick the ball to that player, and that player marks it” is not being met, and showing no signs of improvement. Soccer in its infancy was a bit shaky, but still soccer. And you are right, the matildas are great.

But AFLW is like a depressing parody of AFL. That coupled with how much people are being urged to pretend to like it makes me think it’s doomed.

It’s like being forced to eat feces at gunpoint and then say how inspiring it is. It sucks. And anyone who says it doesn’t suck is lying.

I agree with all of this but I think you are wrong on the Female Empowerment thing. It's here to stay and we need to be a part of it or we'll be left behind. Even Eddie Dingle is sitting down to wee these days.

The reality is that there are only 4 clubs without an AFLW team and aside from us those clubs are Essendon, Hawthorn and Sydney (ie all relatively powerful clubs). The next intake will be all 4 of these teams to make an 18 team competition. We don't really have to do anything, those clubs will do all of the heavy lifting and we will just fall in by default.

What is even the point in complaining about it though? It's going to happen whether you're into it or not.

AFLW is people who like politics pretending to like sports and PAFC would do well to steer clear
It's important for us to be involved, if nothing else, at least from a commercial prospective.

I personally don't enjoy watching it either but there is plenty that do so we could be missing out on potential revenue.

I agree with all of this but I think you are wrong on the Female Empowerment thing. It's here to stay and we need to be a part of it or we'll be left behind. Even Eddie Dingle is sitting down to wee these days.
Totally. We missed a trick big time putting all our eggs in the China basket.

Heck, I can recall the AFLW's markee player (Erin Phillips) in a Port jumper when the women's league was being announced saying she could never play for anyone else (anyone else recall that?).

Low and behold, we decide not to persue a women's team and she ends up at the crows... rest is history.

Totally. We missed a trick big time putting all our eggs in the China basket.

Heck, I can recall the AFLW's markee player (Erin Phillips) in a Port jumper when the women's league was being announced saying she could never play for anyone else (anyone else recall that?).

Low and behold, we decide not to persue a women's team and she ends up at the crows... rest is history.
That whole offseason sucked with those ’christmas secret puzzles’ or whatever. it was when we also gave Hammer a ludicrous five year contract on top of the year he still had yet to come

The reality is that there are only 4 clubs without an AFLW team and aside from us those clubs are Essendon, Hawthorn and Sydney (ie all relatively powerful clubs). The next intake will be all 4 of these teams to make an 18 team competition. We don't really have to do anything, those clubs will do all of the heavy lifting and we will just fall in by default.
Fact!
all our energy should be on getting some decent grassroots players ready...and making sure they play in the PB’s!

cramming the entire Women's season into the Men's preseason was disgusting as well. the perfect way for the public to not take it seriously.

cramming the entire Women's season into the Men's preseason was disgusting as well. the perfect way for the public to not take it seriously.
nah, there was no way it would get any exposure being at the same time as the men’s. That part was the good bit.

When it expands to an 18 team league they should play a full season as curtain raisers to the men's matches.

Whilst you are noble in your gesture, it would be an unmitigated disaster for AFLW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've already lost that with Collingwood not only being in and using the colours, but taking the design as well.

We could also argue ‘conferences’.

nah, there was no way it would get any exposure being at the same time as the men’s. That part was the good bit.

idk about good bit. if it just exists as a normal league throughout the season like any other league it'll both organically and with exposure/marketing grow

When there's 18 teams there's no easy solution. We've already seen a bastardised conference system is not popular. So it's 17 games plus some finals unless it remains a 'brief summer fling' for the deprived AFL (Mens) fans. With the draft and AFL pre-season hit-outs when they are there's not time for a full AFLW summer competition.

So you either run the start or end of it against games or post/pre season events of the AFL or embrace the clash and run it at the same time. If it's at the same time, then decide are they going to be double headers or different times / venues to try and get more to AFLW games?

When there's 18 teams there's no easy solution. We've already seen a bastardised conference system is not popular. So it's 17 games plus some finals unless it remains a 'brief summer fling' for the deprived AFL (Mens) fans. With the draft and AFL pre-season hit-outs when they are there's not time for a full AFLW summer competition.

So you either run the start or end of it against games or post/pre season events of the AFL or embrace the clash and run it at the same time. If it's at the same time, then decide are they going to be double headers or different times / venues to try and get more to AFLW games?
It should remain a summer game imo. Different season to the men’s. Play more night games to avoid the heat.

id definitely be getting a season ticket When Port came in.

From what I can tell from having to take my daughter to games is that the women are developing their own audience independent from the men's game (obviously still a lot of regular footy supporters attend also) and I doubt they would appreciate the league becoming curtain raiser status. I also doubt they would want to stump up the cost of having to attend the men's games if it's not their primary interest.

It should remain a summer game imo. Different season to the men’s. Play more night games to avoid the heat.

id definitely be getting a season ticket When Port came in.

Yep. It should be a full blown summer competition with each team playing each other once for a 17 round season plus finals. Games played twilight/night.

It'll never happen though because the AFL industry (administration, media, club personnel) are all far too comfortable with their 6 months off a year and running a proper, big AFLW competition would required them to work full time like everyone else.

I'll make an exception at your house and piss all over the seat and walls as because I like AFLW I cannot hit a target.

What a heap of steaming s**t this post is.

The game has improved over the three years the comp has been going and improved rapidly. If you haven't seen players hit targets then you clearly haven't watched any games and your viewpoint is null and void.

I look forward to watching you consume my faeces at gunpoint.

I admit I thought the AFLW was crap and lower than A3 Ammo's standard when it started.
But it has improved - as you would expect.
I find little interest in it. Maybe if Port had a team I would, although I wouldn't attend games in all honesty.
But it will continue to improve - after all, the first men's Aussie Rules games were most likely pretty piss poor to start with and you have to begin somewhere.
Good on the women for having a go.

I do agree with some here that it should be a stand alone comp, and not curtain raisers to men's games. i feel that demeans what the women are trying to achieve - relevance and identity in their own right.

I admit I thought the AFLW was crap and lower than A3 Ammo's standard when it started.
But it has improved - as you would expect.
I find little interest in it. Maybe if Port had a team I would, although I wouldn't attend games in all honesty.
But it will continue to improve - after all, the first men's Aussie Rules games were most likely pretty piss poor to start with and you have to begin somewhere.
Good on the women for having a go.

I do agree with some here that it should be a stand alone comp, and not curtain raisers to men's games. i feel that demeans what the women are trying to achieve - relevance and identity in their own right.

A3 Ammos when it started? Erin Phillips would struggle to get a game in the A3 ammos.