News AFLW to start new season in August

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW to start new season in August​

By Michael Gleeson and Peter Ryan​

The AFLW season will be brought forward to begin in August this year, opening in the pre-finals bye of the men’s competition.

Club sources said the AFL Commission informed the club chief executives in a meeting on Wednesday that it had given provisional approval for the change to the timing of the AFLW season.

The decision was contingent on the approval of all clubs, and in particular on the approval of the four new clubs to the competition next season, that they would be able to be ready to join the league in August.
The season will run until the end of November or the first week of December, straddling the spring racing carnival but ending before it runs into competition with Test cricket.

A vote on Tasmania’s bid for a team to join the AFL will be made in August. The clubs were told that the AFL Commission will make the decision based on the case put by the Tasmanian bid and then it will be put to the club presidents to vote.
Like other AFL Commission decisions it would require a two-thirds majority to overturn. Some clubs were surprised as they believed they would receive a recommendation from the commission, but the decision would be taken by a vote of club presidents, though what actually happened effectively amounts to the same thing.

AFL Commission chairman Richard Goyder confirmed an increase of $8 million in funding for community football in Victoria and NSW out of recognition of the impact COVID-19 lockdowns have had on community football in those two states in particular.

While the league offered sympathies to those in flood-affected regions of NSW and Queensland it was waiting until the acute phase had passed and a clearer picture was available of where it could help before committing assistance.

Goyder said the league was hopeful of breaking the attendance record in round one, notwithstanding 50 per cent capacity limits for games in WA.

He said the league had taken a “living with COVID” approach and it was determined that games would go ahead as scheduled.

A West Australian, Goyder had recently taken the decision to leave the state and relocate to Victoria out of frustration with constant border closures and lockdown restrictions in WA.

He said he was confident that games in WA would not be affected this year.

On the move? Earlier season start on AFLW's agenda​

Gemma Bastiani
W01SKRi22DT951599449_best.JPG

Richmond players burst through the banner in round one, 2022. Picture: AFL Photos

AN EARLIER start to the NAB AFL Women's competition – potentially in August – is on the agenda after the AFL confirmed it was in discussions about moving the season.

The AFL Commission discussed the merits of a possible change at its meeting on Wednesday and gave the AFL the green light to continue talks with players, clubs, broadcasters and other stakeholders.

No decision has been made on moving the season but AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan told reporters after Wednesday's club presidents meeting that the issue would be resolved soon.

"It will be a quick process and we'll have a decision on that in the next couple of weeks," he said.

uP2UaUP6.jpg

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan at the announcement of AFLW expansion in August 2021. Picture: AFL Photos

A shift to an August start would allow the competition to be played outside of the heat of summer, which has been an issue throughout the competition's six seasons to date. Several games each year have been played in 30-plus degree weather.

This year's January kick-off also pitted the AFLW competition against the Australian Open tennis and Test cricket matches that traditionally dominate the sporting calendar in the early months of the year.

The League is keen to ensure the biggest possible audience for season seven of the AFL Women's competition, which will expand by four new teams to include all 18 clubs for the first time.

Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney will enter the competition and their list builds are already on in earnest.

The final round of the 2022 NAB AFLW home and away season begins on Friday, with the Grand Final to be played on the first weekend in April.

ICL_65159_AFLW-22-Finals_Structure_explainer.jpg

Sensible to shift from the hottest part of the year, but it doesn't matter what I think. I'll be watching to see what the players say about having 3 months to sort out their other commitments, and what the clubs have to say about fitting recruitment and pre-season into such a short time frame.

All well and good to * around with the men's comp when every player is on enough coin to re-organise their life. The 18 year olds playing in the NAB League who will drafted will be just starting their Year 12 exams. How many of them could set themselves up for life from playing AFLW?

I just hope they actually asked the players if this is what they want.

Sensible to shift from the hottest part of the year, but it doesn't matter what I think. I'll be watching to see what the players say about having 3 months to sort out their other commitments, and what the clubs have to say about fitting recruitment and pre-season into such a short time frame.

All well and good to fu** around with the men's comp when every player is on enough coin to re-organise their life. The 18 year olds playing in the NAB League who will drafted will be just starting their Year 12 exams. How many of them could set themselves up for life from playing AFLW?

Will be interesting to hear the feedback.

A fair few players put their non football lives on hold to play. Some players take leave from their jobs. Not sure employers will be thrilled. Might have a few sit out due to work commitments which will mean a big gap between end of this season and start of 2023 season. Might even end some careers.

Would not surprise me one bit if players are only finding all of this out via the media.

Will be interesting to hear the feedback.

A fair few players put their non football lives on hold to play. Some players take leave from their jobs. Not sure employers will be thrilled. Might have a few sit out due to work commitments which will mean a big gap between end of this season and start of 2023 season. Might even end some careers.

Would not surprise me one bit if players are only finding all of this out via the media.

Yep. Most of the players probably earn less over the course of a year when they play, compared to if they didn't. Study put on hold, promotions delayed in their day jobs, and for some of the young 'uns, moving out of their parent's home pushed back because they can't afford to live independently. They pay a financial penalty, as it currently stands.

I truly hope they aren't hearing the news for the first time via the media, but suspect you're right.

Pretty sensible change to make, too, moving the season out of the hottest part of the year. All the AFL really needed to do to get it right was announce this to the clubs and players 12 months ago. It's almost like they don't have a long-term plan...

Yep. Most of the players probably earn less over the course of a year when they play, compared to if they didn't. Study put on hold, promotions delayed in their day jobs, and for some of the young 'uns, moving out of their parent's home pushed back because they can't afford to live independently. They pay a financial penalty, as it currently stands.

I truly hope they aren't hearing the news for the first time via the media, but suspect you're right.

Pretty sensible change to make, too, moving the season out of the hottest part of the year. All the AFL really needed to do to get it right was announce this to the clubs and players 12 months ago. It's almost like they don't have a long-term plan...
It seems a little too sudden doesn't it.... I would have thought that the same sort of season this comig season with a heads up of this move thereafter - everyone on board and planned for. This sounds like something the rules committee would do.

All well and good to fu** around with the men's comp when every player is on enough coin to re-organise their life. The 18 year olds playing in the NAB League who will drafted will be just starting their Year 12 exams. How many of them could set themselves up for life from playing AFLW?

Chiocci was interviewed by Sam Lane during the Pies v Tigers game and didn't look at all enthusiastic about it

Crocker (Kangas coach) doesn't seem to be a fan, he's raised the issue of players who suffered serious knee injuries this year potentially facing two entire seasons on the sidelines.

Chiocci was interviewed by Sam Lane during the Pies v Tigers game and didn't look at all enthusiastic about it

Crocker (Kangas coach) doesn't seem to be a fan, he's raised the issue of players who suffered serious knee injuries this year potentially facing two entire seasons on the sidelines.

Chiocci wouldn't be happy as she takes leave from her job as a teacher to focus on the AFLW season. Has done so for a couple of seasons. Took long service leave this season.

2 seasons in one year would make doing this again difficult I would guess.

My opinion is that you can't be waiting almost 18 months for the next season to start.

That makes no sense.

The biggest issue IMO is having to align the VFLW season again as I believe you HAVE to have non selected AFLW players playing somewhere for AFLW to be a genuine healthy comp on the rise. You just can't have them twiddling their thumbs and just training. That stifles development.

My opinion is that you can't be waiting almost 18 months for the next season to start.

That makes no sense.

The biggest issue IMO is having to align the VFLW season again as I believe you HAVE to have non selected AFLW players playing somewhere for AFLW to be a genuine healthy comp on the rise. You just can't have them twiddling their thumbs and just training. That stifles development.
That's why it has to be planned for, one way or the other - don't just thrust it out there as a thought bubble and expect everyone to dance along merrily behind.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back