List Mgmt. AFLW Trade & Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

It has been rare in the past that the Giants can find childhood supporters just purely because the club has only been around over the past decade, but they have one in the top-end of the draft in Jessica Rentsch. The GWV Rebels skipper has nominated nationally and is a huge fan of the club, breaking away from her parents’ supporter bases of Carlton and Essendon.

Rentsch would provide explosive speed off half-back and incredible defensive pressure, replacing some key players from the Giants of past years. Given she is keen and willing to head there, GWS may opt for the talented runner who overcame a broken leg mid-year last year to get better and better as the season went on.
She should've nominated NSW. :D

To those that follow this closer than I why did GWS not put Cleo Buttifant in the Academy? Would that have affected the first selection? It’s a hard one to reason with given she’s just gone Pick 11 in the National Draft?

Can someone articulate why this happened?
Agree, it makes zero sense

To those that follow this closer than I why did GWS not put Cleo Buttifant in the Academy? Would that have affected the first selection? It’s a hard one to reason with given she’s just gone Pick 11 in the National Draft?

Pie 4 Life may be able to answer this when he gets some free time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So just the two selections for night with us passing on our 3rd selection.
So, very odd. We did not seem interested in either of the two top-ranked GWS Academy girls, Cleo Buttifant or Mel Staunton, who was available to take at our third selection - but we passed.

I'm really confused.

So, very odd. We did not seem interested in either of the two top-ranked GWS Academy girls, Cleo Buttifant or Mel Staunton, who was available to take at our third selection - but we passed.

I'm really confused.
Agree, unless we're trying to convince a w.a girl who didn't nominate nationally to come over as an undrafted free agent to make the transition a little easier for Srhoj.

Buttifant was in the Academy, she played there this year. Essentially you would have required to match a pick within a round and following trades you didn't have that. Ultimately it must have meant you did not rate her that highly, which is fair enough. This draft was very different for every club. She's an outstanding offensive defender with elite speed and dare, but for the clubs that don't rate her highly, her kicking and decision making - as well as defensive accountability at times - is a worry. I suspect you just thought the value wasn't worth it (at a guess) as you definitely would have had the right to match if you wanted to.

Buttifant was in the Academy, she played there this year. Essentially you would have required to match a pick within a round and following trades you didn't have that. Ultimately it must have meant you did not rate her that highly, which is fair enough. This draft was very different for every club. She's an outstanding offensive defender with elite speed and dare, but for the clubs that don't rate her highly, her kicking and decision making - as well as defensive accountability at times - is a worry. I suspect you just thought the value wasn't worth it (at a guess) as you definitely would have had the right to match if you wanted to.
Thank you so much for that very good explanation mate 🙂👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back