AFLW Trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not Tayla's fault but I hate that we are treating our players like cattle. Upset Jakobsson so she wants out. Now the Hosking twins and Ayre who has crazy potential. All for someone who has family in Brisbane and wants to come to Melbourne to further her career in another sport. This could explode in our face.

Ayre has crazy potential and is 19 but Harris also has amazing potential and is only a year older and way more proven already. I get what you're saying about it potentially backfiring but when a player of her quality wants to join the list, you have to make it happen.

I don't believe we offered up the Hosking twins. That's just what they asked for. We offered up Jakobsson because she's from QLD and in trades like this you have to try and be at least somewhat fair especially with the AFL blocking unfair trades. I don't think we could have really handled things too differently.

Wait, Brisbane are the premiers, right? What right do the AFL have to stand in the way of any trades?

Wait, Brisbane are the premiers, right? What right do the AFL have to stand in the way of any trades?

They have a vested interest in making sure the comp gets off the ground in all states. That means they won't want to see any club getting reamed at the trade table, whether that's by their own ineptitude or because players are making things difficult.

Adelaide were premiers. Brisbane runners-up. AFL blocking trades is not a new thing. Same rule is in place with the men's but I guess given the AFLW is still in its infancy, the league is trying to ensure teams aren't reamed.

I just don't know how the AFL can rate a player's worth and stop a trade that the current team would have accepted. Brisbane are worried Harris will go to the Dogs in the draft and they will get nothing.

They have a vested interest in making sure the comp gets off the ground in all states. That means they won't want to see any club getting reamed at the trade table, whether that's by their own ineptitude or because players are making things difficult.
I understand, but if both Clubs are accepting of a deal, who are the AFL to say it is not fair? Clubs would know more about themselves then the AFL.

I just don't know how the AFL can rate a player's worth and stop a trade that the current team would have accepted. Brisbane are worried Harris will go to the Dogs in the draft and they will get nothing.
This is what I'm thinking...sounds like Harris wants out and is determined to head to VIC...so wouldnt they rather get something then nothing.
Could come down to the final moments of the trade period if nothing 'suitable' trade wise is put forward they (the AFL) may just have to let it slide so the Lions get something they are reasonably content with rather than her slip through the draft.
Time will tell...
From what I've seen/read, we are front runners and in a good position to get her. Haven't heard of any other teams throwing players/picks at the Lions to get her across apart from Melbourne showing genuine interest.

Daniel Cherny reporting on Twitter that Nat Exon and Bella Ayre will likely get done for Tayla Harris

It's not Tayla's fault but I hate that we are treating our players like cattle. Upset Jakobsson so she wants out. Now the Hosking twins and Ayre who has crazy potential. All for someone who has family in Brisbane and wants to come to Melbourne to further her career in another sport. This could explode in our face.

From what i read we didn't offer the Hosking twins...Brisbane asked for them and we and the girls themselves said no.

But yeah, you'd hope we have discussed the move with Ayre and knew she'd be open to it before offering her surely?
But apparently we didn't do that with Jakobssen...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Done deals:-

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/f2d9e5e180feeedeb971cc18f0d5812e

CARLTON will finally land star forward Tayla Harris. There were concerns a deal for the high-leaping forward might not get done, but Brisbane accepted a deal that sees former rookie Nat Exon and young forward Bella Ayre move north.

Carlton has dominated the inaugural trade period, securing Collingwood best and fairest Nicola Steven and now All Australian Harris.

Meanwhile, MELBOURNE has landed former Carlton forward Bianca Jakobsson in a three-club trade that saw young Demon Deanna Berry move to the WESTERN BULLDOGS.
Carlton will receive an early-round pick from the Dogs in that exchange.

Ill be ropeable if thats the case. Two of our better players for one who basically sulked her way through season 1. Short sighted rubbish.

I'm not particularly happy, but it's not short-sighted.

Harris is one of the best players in the competition. Once she identified Carlton, we weren't going to say no & it was always going to cost a fair bit to bring her across.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/sites/Carlton/news/2017-05-25/aflw-star-harris-a-blue

Carlton has continued to strengthen its AFLW stocks after reaching an agreement with Brisbane to welcome Tayla Harris to the Blues.
The complex trade made on Thursday sees Harris arrive at Carlton along with the Western Bulldogs’ pick 12 in the 2018 AFLW National Draft.

To secure Harris, the Blues traded three of their inaugural players - Bella Ayre and Nat Exon to Brisbane and Bianca Jakobsson to Melbourne.

So basically:-

BRISBANE LIONS
Bella Ayre and Nat Exon from Carlton

CARLTON
Tayla Harris from the Brisbane Lions
Draft pick No. 12 from the Western Bulldogs

MELBOURNE
Bianca Jakobsson from Carlton

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Deanna Berry from Melbourne

So basically:-

BRISBANE LIONS
Bella Ayre and Nat Exon from Carlton

CARLTON
Tayla Harris from the Brisbane Lions
Draft pick No. 12 from the Western Bulldogs

MELBOURNE
Bianca Jakobsson from Carlton

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Deanna Berry from Melbourne
Surely that means we get Shache for a 3rd rounder in October...

I'm not particularly happy, but it's not short-sighted.

Harris is one of the best players in the competition. Once she identified Carlton, we weren't going to say no & it was always going to cost a fair bit to bring her across.

Harris was one of the best players in several exhibition matches which were no where near as competitive as the AFLW season was, and when push came to shove she was found wanting. On the other hand we've now given up two players who did actually do stuff in the competition last year when it mattered. This is a crap decision by the club.

edit: AND Jackobbson. FMD this is idiotic.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back