AFLW Trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

Harris was one of the best players in several exhibition matches which were no where near as competitive as the AFLW season was, and when push came to shove she was found wanting. On the other hand we've now given up two players who did actually do stuff in the competition last year when it mattered. This is a crap decision by the club.

Well you're wrong.

In 2019 there will be 3 or 4 more teams, Harris and Stevens will look like the cheapest gets of all time.

The talent will thin out again and (like Hawthorn) we'll have bona-fide young stars locked up.

Well you're wrong.

Rubbish. You cant quantify that until harris actually does something for us. Until then its entirelya matter of opinion. And i think giving up 3 good players for one so far half arsed one is questionable at best, and stupid at worst.

In 2019 there will be 3 or 4 more teams, Harris and Stevens will look like the cheapest gets of all time.

The talent will thin out again and (like Hawthorn) we'll have bona-fide young stars locked up.

Who the hell knows what the list rules will be like at the end of the season.

Whilst disappointed to lose some real quality in Ayre, Exon and Jakobsson we have done really well not only to pick up Stevens and Harris but to be viewed already as a destination club. Hoping these 2 stars will be the first of many to want to put on the Navy Blue. Draft picks also at this stage in the competition mean very little, lost 3 handy players, picked up 2 stars in a competition 'thin on talent' where stars seem to have a bigger than normal impact (compared to the mens).

I'm not concerned about losing Jakobssen or Ayre at all to be honest.

Both have potential, but were far from the finished product.
Jakobssen did some nice things but couldn't tackle at all, while Ayre is a bit slow of speed, though she is very young and likely to improve.

Considering we still have Shierlaw, Vescio & now Harris in our forward line, that's A grade and we didn't really need Ayre or Jakobssen - although our depth will be tested if we get an injury.

The one i didn't want to lose was Exon...our midfield is even shallower now and she provided pace to our midfield.

Bianca :(

I don't mind the Harris for Ayre trade - we win that with Harris having a better athletic ability and as a forward target but losing Jakobsson sucks. She went a bit quiet in the second half of the season but has bucket loads of talent to work with.

I was a bit down on Exons disposal but she provided some speed a run which we were very short on. Hope we address this area.

Rubbish. You cant quantify that until harris actually does something for us. Until then its entirelya matter of opinion. And i think giving up 3 good players for one so far half arsed one is questionable at best, and stupid at worst.

Who the hell knows what the list rules will be like at the end of the season.

It won't matter.

Fact: More teams dilute the talent pool. The new teams will be starting from a mile back, so unless Gill makes it easy for the new teams to take marquee players from existing clubs, they will be at a disadvantage.

We've stitched up 4 of the best 10-12 players in the comp now. Harris was hardly "half arsed", do you even watch the womens games?

The best womens football will be less crash and bash and more about getting the ball back, using it well and making the most of your inside 50's.

These trades make that possible.

It won't matter.

Fact: More teams dilute the talent pool. The new teams will be starting from a mile back, so unless Gill makes it easy for the new teams to take marquee players from existing clubs, they will be at a disadvantage.

We've stitched up 4 of the best 10-12 players in the comp now. Harris was hardly "half arsed", do you even watch the womens games?

The best womens football will be less crash and bash and more about getting the ball back, using it well and making the most of your inside 50's.

Our defence and forward line are A grade.
Rucks strong with Downie leading it.

Midfield is a worry though.
Maybe Stephens will get midfield minutes and jess hosking back from injury will help address it.

Ok so Carlton get Taylah Harris. Nat Exon & Bella Ayre to Brisbane.

Bianca Jakobsson to Melbourne in a 3 way trade with Melbourne and the Bulldogs.

Carlton receive an early round pick from the Bulldogs.

Hmm, can't say this thrills me. Unless we pick up a speedy midfielder with the pick

Our defence and forward line are A grade.
Rucks strong with Downie leading it.

Midfield is a worry though.
Maybe Stephens will get midfield minutes and jess hosking back from injury will help address it.

Yep.

I still think we are looking to play a style other teams won't. Like the men we'll try to keep the ball off the oppo with good kicking and when they've got it, put them under pressure to give it back. Not so much running. S

I understand, but if both Clubs are accepting of a deal, who are the AFL to say it is not fair? Clubs would know more about themselves then the AFL.

The women earn $10-25K for a season. And were on one-year contracts.

With only 8 teams across 5 cities, the women have the right to veto trades in a way the men don't (different salaries, family commitments, shorter contracts).

This trade period was always going to be a frenzy, I can understand the potential need for intervention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won't matter.

Sure.

Except theres actually a larger talent pool coming through, especially considering the TAC Cup and other programmes that started after the AFLW was announced.

[quoteWe've stitched up 4 of the best 10-12 players in the comp now. Harris was hardly "half arsed", do you even watch the womens games?[/quote]

Yes as a matter of fact I did watch the womens games. And Harris was hardly worth her marquee status.

Christ thats some crystal ball you're wielding.

im sure it was THESE trades are the ones that make that possible.

KKP stocks both forward and back set. I think its a better balance with Vescio, Harris and Shierlaw up forward. Bring in midfielder with speed to rest forward and the team will look a lot faster.

Nicola Stevens can play back and Mid similar to Bri Davey

Sad to lose Arye, Exon and Jakobsson

Really tough on the girls. This is the AFL & this is what happens in the big time. I wish them all the best (not their teams)

Welcome Tayla. You saw our first game against the Pies and you want to play for the greatest club in the land in front of the best stadium.

Who could blame you :)

Just like the men, we now need to find or develop a couple of A grade midfielders. We have a chance this year before the other clubs start rolling in.

Sure.

Except theres actually a larger talent pool coming through, especially considering the TAC Cup and other programmes that started after the AFLW was announced.

[quoteWe've stitched up 4 of the best 10-12 players in the comp now. Harris was hardly "half arsed", do you even watch the womens games?

Stevens, Vescio, Davey and Harris are in the best kicks in the comp, that's not a guess, that's fact. Harris is one of the few who can kick + 45m. fact. She's the best pack marker in the comp (IMO). Good ball use is the key unless you want to rely on scrubby s**t kicks and smash, crash footy.

Calling me the crystal ball guy when you're saying there's better talent coming through?:D Name the 4 players who will be better than our best 4, today.
You're guessing.

Terrific and bold by the club, look forward to seeing this team run out next year, truly exciting.

Trade week isn't over BTW, could we swap pick 12 for a mid?

You haven't answered how this could possibly be seen as short-sighted.

I'd agree with you if Tayla was older but the fact is she's one of the best players in the competition and she's only recently turned 20 years old.

Bringing someone in who we hope will be a superstar for our club for the next 10 years - as well as getting back into the early stages of the draft - is basically the exact opposite of short-sighted moves.

Harris was one of the best players in several exhibition matches which were no where near as competitive as the AFLW season was, and when push came to shove she was found wanting.

Sorry, but this just isn't true.

She was 19 in AFLW season one and widely considered one of the best players in the competition.

She didn't have as big an impact as expected, but you need only look at the number of times she was double and triple teamed to understand why.

Much like we did with Mo Hope in the opening game of the year, clubs clearly identified Tayla as a weapon and did everything possible to limit her influence.

Even with all that to contend with, she wasn't as useless as you seem to think she was. Inaccuracy didn't help her cause (4 goals 9 behinds), yet she took 17 contested marks - almost on par with a few clubs for the season, and 6 more than any other player in the competition.

She's a damn good footballer and I expect her to show that over the years. I just hope she doesn't give up the game completely to focus on her boxing career, and I'd like to think the club has done their due diligence on that front.

edit: AND Jackobbson. FMD this is idiotic.

Maybe she wanted to leave?

Or maybe she was able to secure a better financial deal for herself at Melbourne with both marquee players staying on at Carlton, plus the club adding an ex-marquee in Harris and a B&F winner in Stevens.

The only player I'm really disappointed to see depart the club is Bella Ayre, who had become one of my favourites at the club. The improvement she showed over the course of the short season was phenomenal, and in a professional environment I'm sure she'll continue to develop into a really dangerous tall forward.

Brilliant trades so far, getting Stevens allows Davey to go into the middle and let her do what she does best, then when she needs a rest directly swaps with Stevens, watching Harris this year she got double and triple teamed all year, any side that does that this year will be battling with Vescio down there, plus there's still a lot of improvement to come through Plane and J. Hosking returning to the squad, as well as the group gelling more, happy days for the women's side this year hahah

The deal seems unfair to us, 3 for 1 + a pick.
Exon will be missed, but I can understand the trade for Harris.

Jakobsson (pick 3) for Pick 12? Madness. What an awful deal.

The women earn $10-25K for a season. And were on one-year contracts.

With only 8 teams across 5 cities, the women have the right to veto trades in a way the men don't (different salaries, family commitments, shorter contracts).

This trade period was always going to be a frenzy, I can understand the potential need for intervention.
I have no issues if players object. I have an issue when the league does

Remove this Banner Ad

Back