AFLW Trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

You haven't answered how this could possibly be seen as short-sighted.

Trading out three good players to get one that underperformed in the only season that has mattered so far, is short sighted.

I'd agree with you if Tayla was older but the fact is she's one of the best players in the competition and she's only recently turned 20 years old.

That "FACT" isnt borne out by the only season of AFLW she's played in.

Bringing someone in who we hope will be a superstar for our club for the next 10 years - as well as getting back into the early stages of the draft - is basically the exact opposite of short-sighted moves.

Sorry, but this just isn't true.

Right. She was a ******* superstar last year. I forgot.

She was 19 in AFLW season one and widely considered one of the best players in the competition.

BY WHO? The only place ive seen that expressed is on this board in the last couple of days.

She didn't have as big an impact as expected, but you need only look at the number of times she was double and triple teamed to understand why.

Christ i guess they'll stop doing that this season then to give her a fair go right?

Much like we did with Mo Hope in the opening game of the year, clubs clearly identified Tayla as a weapon and did everything possible to limit her influence.

And mo hope is no longer going to be a tier 1 player as a result. Witness the tears being shed by Lions supporters over harris departure.

Even with all that to contend with, she wasn't as useless as you seem to think she was. Inaccuracy didn't help her cause (4 goals 9 behinds), yet she took 17 contested marks - almost on par with a few clubs for the season, and 6 more than any other player in the competition.

I didnt say she was useless. I said that shes not worth trading three players for. And i stand by that.

Sad to lose the players we did but with the AFL paying very close attention to the Harris trade we had to give up quality.
As others have said if a player like Harris wants in, you do your all to make it happen.
She also is very much a marketing dream along with Vescio Davey and now Stephens, so it is a winning move on more than just a talent basis.
Great move by the club.

Trading out three good players to get one that underperformed in the only season that has mattered so far, is short sighted.

You must have a very different definition of "short sighted" to the rest of us, because what you've described is anything but.

We clearly paid a lot for Tayla, but there's absolutely nothing short-sighted about it.

Right. She was a ******* superstar last year. I forgot.

Nobody said that. I acknowledged she didn't have a great season last year.

The hyperbole really isn't helping you much here.

BY WHO? The only place ive seen that expressed is on this board in the last couple of days.

She was a marquee player in season one, so obviously by the AFL and those intimately involved with the women's game.

I didn't think that would need to be expanded on.

She had a season below expectations. She won't be the only one to experience that.

Time will tell, but I'm pretty sure she'll bounce back in a big way.

Christ i guess they'll stop doing that this season then to give her a fair go right?

Well no. Now that's a short-sighted comment.

As the game progresses and the talent base expands, so too will tactics and it will never be as easy as it was in season one to work over the cream of the crop.

We now have Tayla alongside Darcy who was the most damaging forward in the game last year. I am more than happy for any club to take the risk and hang multiple players off Tayla if they want to.

And mo hope is no longer going to be a tier 1 player as a result. Witness the tears being shed by Lions supporters over harris departure.

They're not crying because she didn't have a great year and they know she'd checked out in the season.

There's very few disputing her talent, but you seem to be one of them.

I didnt say she was useless. I said that shes not worth trading three players for. And i stand by that.

Out: 3 players
In: 1 player & 1 early draft pick

Stand by it all you like, but if it's not true it's not true.

Admire the passion, but I'd swear some of you guys are day drinking. So many unknowns about the talent pool, how young women who haven't come through a talent pathway will adjust, how to assess talent off the small sample that was year one, planning for future with an expanding comp, and contractural rules being made on the run, and the additional complexity of semi professionalism, and expecting young women to move cross country for what equates to a part time job.

Happy to sit back, let the club wrangle with all of that, and cheer on whoever runs out in round one.

So, we effectively traded two players for Tayla. I get that, she is a massive talent and we will have a potent forward line going forward.

The side trade of Bianca for pick 12 doesn't make sense, my guess is that Melbourne made her a better offer and she saw more opportunity there with Harris and Vescio at Carlton.

1 year.

Maybe that will rise with new teams added in 2019 in an effort to stop musical chairs after a redistribution of talent/priority draft picks/trades for the new clubs.

interesting, this basically means we can lose Harris next year back to QLD for nothing if she wanted to via the draft.

If we could sign a multi year deal it would at least protect our investment.

Gosh, is this how Brisbane has felt all these years?!

We traded 2 players out, one was a rookie that perhaps over performed and one was a young player with plenty of potential. Jacobsson had nothing to do with this trade. We netted ourselves an All Australian gun as a massive upgrade to Jacobsson who was surplus after this trade. How many Brisbane games did you watch? obviously only the grand final where she had a shocker.

Watch some replays, she draws the ball and was a contested marking beast with a booming kick. Very Jono Brown like, contested marking is a premium in this league and we just got the best contested mark in the league.

Marquee player, All Australian, not sure what rock youve been living under...

The side trade of Bianca for pick 12 doesn't make sense, my guess is that Melbourne made her a better offer and she saw more opportunity there with Harris and Vescio at Carlton.

Agreed, the writing was on the wall. She was now surplus and we still got something decent for her. With the drafting restrictions still in play (i assume?) we can only draft from Vic. We originally had pick 5 (4th pick from Vic), to pick 12 (7th pick from Vic) as the draft stands at the moment. I think its important to get something from this draft as there will be less talent in the coming drafts with new teams entering the comp. We lost our 2nd pick and slide on our 3rd, but we should get another top end talent into our system in exchange for Jacobsson.

1 year.

Maybe that will rise with new teams added in 2019 in an effort to stop musical chairs after a redistribution of talent/priority draft picks/trades for the new clubs.

Could turn into deck chairs but probably won't due to the strength of the product!

But what about the kids with their numbers on their backs etc.

Hard to love a team that has a revolving door.

I know it will change come 2019 but I don't think I'm on my own in wanting to enjoy my football team.

AFL just wanted to get a start and then rely on our relentless club loyalty as they spread the players out further after we get to know and enjoy them as our own.

Got to start somewhere though I suppose!

I love Exon and am sad to lose her but....

AFLW is a bit like junior football. If you have three or four absolutely stud players - and we have at least 4 now - you're putting yourself ahead of the game.

We've come out well ahead thus far. Just need some more midfield quality and we'll literally be unstoppable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What am I going to do with my Bianca badge..

Keep it for when she comes back. ;)

We haven't seen the last of her in navy. Just a feeling.

Exon was a rookie pick as well, who's to say that Herrington and Gay don't have similar impacts and we get back up the draft order
To be clear, they're rookie picks due to coming from another sporting background, and are pre-selected before the draft.

That wasn't made clear this time last year, so you need to see them as the next tier down from marquee, in a way, especially in these early days where they're less cat B and more getting the first opportunity in their life to code-hop to where they wanted to be.

Carlton have kept quiet so far with no announcements but it seems the AFL site has let loose some of our players re-signing their contracts with the club. Until today we 'officially' had zero retained players from the 2017 squad, sure, some of them probably signed on day 1 of the re-signing/trading period, but the club did not lodge them with the AFL until today, presumably so they could still be kept as trade bait.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-25/hope-and-farrugia-head-aflw-resignings

Anyway, our 10 confirmed returning players for the 2018 squad:
Carlton
Alison Downie
Kate Gillespie
Danielle Hardiman
Jessica Hosking
Sarah Hosking
Sarah Last
Katie Loynes
Breann Moody
Natalie Plane
Gabriella Pound

No doubt Arnell, Vescio, Davey, Keryk are being retained due to being captains or marquee players but we won't know 100% until tomorrow afternoon.

That brings us to 14 of the allowed 22 retained 2017 players we can sign. A minimum of 5 delistings is required by the AFL, those players will either retire or put themselves in the draft, where we could potentially pick them up again if other clubs don't snatch them. Hopefully the general agreement between clubs for re-signing players who fall back into the draft is carried over from the AFL to the AFLW.

Personally I'm hoping that Attard, Brown, Darby, Lucas-Rodd, Brazzale & Shierlaw are retained too. That would bring us to 20 and allow us two more players.

And for reference, the 2017 squad. Bold is retained/re-signed for 2018, italics means traded, underlined means new for 2018:

Brianna Davey (M, VC), Katie Loynes, Darcy Vescio (M), Madeline Keryk (VC), Kate Gillespie-Jones, Gabriella Pound, Sarah Last, Kate Darby, Rebecca Privitelli, Sarah Hosking, Jess Hosking, Lauren Brazzale, Lauren Arnell (C), Laura Attard, Nat Exon (to Brisbane), Breann Moody, Tilly Lucas-Rodd, Tahni Nestor, Isabella Ayre (to Brisbane), Jessica Kennedy, Kate Shierlaw, Shae Audley, Alison Brown, Alison Downie, Danielle Hardiman, Natalie Plane, Hayley Trevean, Bianca Jakobsson (to Melbourne)
Nicola Stevens (from Collingwood), Tayla Harris (from Brisbane), Maddison Gay (netball) and Kerryn Harrington (basketball)

new rules, they can't play unless someone get injured.
Yep, due to how many injuries there were during the season the club lists were expanded from 25 to 27 + 3 rookies. Although from now on (unlike last season) rookies can only be injury replacement players. Last season Tahni Nestor and Haley Trevean were injury replacement players we 'drafted' mid season and elevated. Now though, clubs have an extra rookie slot compared to the first season and rookies won't be playing in Round 1.

Carlton have kept quiet so far with no announcements but it seems the AFL site has let loose some of our players re-signing their contracts with the club. Until today we 'officially' had zero retained players from the 2017 squad, sure, some of them probably signed on day 1 of the re-signing/trading period, but the club did not lodge them with the AFL until today, presumably so they could still be kept as trade bait.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-25/hope-and-farrugia-head-aflw-resignings

Anyway, our 10 confirmed returning players for the 2018 squad:
Carlton
Alison Downie
Kate Gillespie
Danielle Hardiman
Jessica Hosking
Sarah Hosking
Sarah Last
Katie Loynes
Breann Moody
Natalie Plane
Gabriella Pound

No doubt Arnell, Vescio, Davey, Keryk are being retained due to being captains or marquee players but we won't know 100% until tomorrow afternoon.

That brings us to 14 of the allowed 22 retained 2017 players we can sign. A minimum of 5 delistings is required by the AFL, those players will either retire or put themselves in the draft, where we could potentially pick them up again if other clubs don't snatch them. Hopefully the general agreement between clubs for re-signing players who fall back into the draft is carried over from the AFL to the AFLW.

Personally I'm hoping that Attard, Brown, Darby, Lucas-Rodd, Brazzale & Shierlaw are retained too. That would bring us to 20 and allow us two more players.

And for reference, the 2017 squad. Bold is retained/re-signed for 2018, italics means traded, underlined means new for 2018:

Brianna Davey (M, VC), Katie Loynes, Darcy Vescio (M), Madeline Keryk (VC), Kate Gillespie-Jones, Gabriella Pound, Sarah Last, Kate Darby, Rebecca Privitelli, Sarah Hosking, Jess Hosking, Lauren Brazzale, Lauren Arnell (C), Laura Attard, Nat Exon (to Brisbane), Breann Moody, Tilly Lucas-Rodd, Tahni Nestor, Isabella Ayre (to Brisbane), Jessica Kennedy, Kate Shierlaw, Shae Audley, Alison Brown, Alison Downie, Danielle Hardiman, Natalie Plane, Hayley Trevean, Bianca Jakobsson (to Melbourne)
Nicola Stevens (from Collingwood), Tayla Harris (from Brisbane), Maddison Gay (netball) and Kerryn Harrington (basketball)
I'd like to see Lucas-Rodd return but I'm not too fussed about the rest (which could be ignorance regarding their ability I admit).

Would love to see us pull 4 quick midfielders with the remaining spots from the draft if they exist though. I reckon we are set for talls.

Very happy we kept Loynes, makes others walk taller with her attack on the ball and players. Her experience will be invaluable for another season or two.

Ultimately this trade made sense to me, as there are few top quality players in AFLW because of the low base from which players could learn their craft.

The two recruits have a strong football background and are key position players, and when added to the likes of Vescio gives us unrivalled pillars around which to structure our team. From what I saw last season, midfields were evenly matched, and in what were low scoring games, it was the teams which had good key position players which excelled.

And while having a favourite player such as Exon leave is disappointing, it's no different to what happens in the men's game

Ultimately this trade made sense to me, as there are few top quality players in AFLW because of the low base from which players could learn their craft.

The two recruits have a strong football background and are key position players, and when added to the likes of Vescio gives us unrivalled pillars around which to structure our team. From what I saw last season, midfields were evenly matched, and in what were low scoring games, it was the teams which had good key position players which excelled.

And while having a favourite player such as Exon leave is disappointing, it's no different to what happens in the men's game
Nah. Our midfield routinely got beaten.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back