AFLW vs AFLX

AFLW or AFLX?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Has it really gone passed them? AFLW has gained some traction because they are wearing AFL club colours and jumpers. Take all the same players and have their own league, different club names and independent of the AFL and how many are watching? Would it even get on tv? Would the media even cover it?
The AFL have been very smart on this, put them in AFL club jumpers and people will gravitate to it.
It is still very early and it should be given a few years to settle in, it is not even close to being an elite level comp no matter how much it is dressed up by the AFL. Netball is certainly elite level as is basketball. Both do it without a leg up so it’s not really apples and apples. Now if women’s footy was where it is now and they had done it on their own then yes they have passed the others, but that is not the case.
When they get their own independent TV rights, charge entry fee and operate under their own banner then they can be compared. At the moment you are comparing the AFL as a business to netball, basketball etc. we already know that AFL is the biggest sport in the country. AFLW have just been lucky to be thrown in with the pie.

They haven't just put jumpers on them they have also far more professional dedicated facilities and far more professional coaching and operational environment than these other sports have had in Australia. In fact, at a domestic level, only basketball with the WNBA has given players access to at least comparable levels of professional facilities and operations historically anywhere on the planet.

This is very different to making claims about the level of eliteness of the players at this stage. Clearly basketball, netball and hockey, which have had access to elite development at least at the international level for decades, will have more developed elite players at this stage.

The reason you are seeing elite juniors flocking to the AFLW is precisely because of what it offers that few others can - playing in front of relatively big audiences and in professional environments

Your kidding yourself.
Women's basketball, netball and soccer are all examples of women's sport in this country played at an elite standard.

Take all the marketing and hype away from aflw and you've got a pretty low standard on display. Half the women in the league have been pulled in from other sports and actually have little experience and a poor skill level.
Given time it will improve but right now it's miles off

Read my previous post, I made no comment about the relative standard.

Women and basketball have certainly been played at an elite standard for a long time

You are wrong that half the women have been pulled from other sports. It's no where near that.

They haven't just put jumpers on them they have also far more professional dedicated facilities and far more professional coaching and operational environment than these other sports have had in Australia. In fact, at a domestic level, only basketball with the WNBA has given players access to at least comparable levels of professional facilities and operations historically anywhere on the planet.

This is very different to making claims about the level of eliteness of the players at this stage. Clearly basketball, netball and hockey, which have had access to elite development at least at the international level for decades, will have more developed elite players at this stage.

The reason you are seeing elite juniors flocking to the AFLW is precisely because of what it offers that few others can - playing in front of relatively big audiences and in professional environments
Netball sides are operating out of the same facilities and the best netball coaching in the world is available in Australia. Women's soccer all over the world is aligned with some of the most well resourced sporting organisations.

There's nothing unique about aflw. It's just new to us afl fans.

Netball sides are operating out of the same facilities and the best netball coaching in the world is available in Australia. Women's soccer all over the world is aligned with some of the most well resourced sporting organisations.

There's nothing unique about aflw. It's just new to us afl fans.

The alignment to, and resourcing of, women's soccer with/by the top European soccer clubs is a very new thing.

You are correct that at least two of the netball franchises now operate out of AFL clubs.

The AFLW is unique in that it is the only contact code on the planet with a semi-professional women's competition for instance (the LFL players are not paid).
Anyway, the point I was contesting was that somehow it would be "a waste" for women to choose the AFL W over other codes because "elite". I'm saying they get access to a professional environment that at best can only be matched by a few other sports and mostly not in australia

I don't care much for AFLW at this point, the standard and low scoring games isn't appealing to me and Richmond aren't represented in the league.

But the concept of AFLX looks incredibly s**t, and I will be suprised if it survives more than a couple of years. I will watch the first Richmond game, just to say I've actually seen it, but I think it will suck.

What a profoundly cultural cringey statement. Basketball is the only sport that is significantly ahead of the aflw in terms of offering a pro club environment. Aflw went passed the other three in its first year. "Waste themselves in the sport"...? Wow
you're having a laugh. top womens soccer players earn far more in a far more competitive environment - they play in europe and the u.s and pump up their salaries with sponsorship. even in oz the ave pay is $17,400, which is above aflw, and they have the enticement of the olympics and world cup. netball is the biggest womens club sport in oz, the minimum netball pay is $27,375, with ave salaries being $67,500. national hockey players receive the same payments as their male counterparts, and whilst not much they have the enticement of olympic medals.
aflw Tier 1 players will be paid $20,000 (up from $17,000), tier 2 players will get $14,500 (up from $12,000) and rookie list players $8,500.
No professional athlete is going to come over in her prime to play aflw.

you're having a laugh. top womens soccer players earn far more in a far more competitive environment - they play in europe and the u.s and pump up their salaries with sponsorship. even in oz the ave pay is $17,400, which is above aflw, and they have the enticement of the olympics and world cup. netball is the biggest womens club sport in oz, the minimum netball pay is $27,375, with ave salaries being $67,500. national hockey players receive the same payments as their male counterparts, and whilst not much they have the enticement of olympic medals.
aflw Tier 1 players will be paid $20,000 (up from $17,000), tier 2 players will get $14,500 (up from $12,000) and rookie list players $8,500.
You actually make a good point regarding elite female athletes are likely to join other sports as a higher priority. Though, this can partly be explained by the lack of opportunities to play in a women's professional football league in the past. Over time, hopefully with growing interests, AFLW might grow to the point more sponsorships will occur and more money and support thrown into the female league. So who knows? maybe AFLW might outgrow local interests such as female basketball and female netball? Will likely take a very long time if this was ever to occur though!

Nah, you have no idea.

The average aleague pay is not 17400 anyway and the overseas soccer players earn little more...which is besides the point you lacked the capacity to grasp - the professional environments they play in are far superior to the vast majority of women's club sport anywhere - probably only rivalled by the WNBA and the big dozen European soccer clubs that have belatedly jumped on board with women's soccer in the last couple of years. There's a reason that the best netballers flocked to Collingwood and the giants despite the same salary cap. This is why teenage girls are flocking to the academies around the country

Anyway, this is the reality...perhaps beyond the tragic minds that have been Enviscerated by the cultural cringe.

And "you're having a laugh"? Serious? It's comical the cultural cringers are still grasping at England for their cultural appropriations. That country is farked

You actually make a good point regarding elite female athletes are likely to join other sports as a higher priority. Though, this can partly be explained by the lack of opportunities to play in a women's professional football league in the past. Over time, hopefully with growing interests, AFLW might grow to the point more sponsorships will occur and more money and support thrown into the female league. So who knows? maybe AFLW might outgrow local interests such as female basketball and female netball? Will likely take a very long time if this was ever to occur though!

There's already a lot more money in women's footy than Australian women's basketball. The real question is how quick the elite development catches up. The massive advantage the aflw has is that they have a direct transplant from by far the most elite pro sport in the country

In terms of teenage talent, collingwoods top pick in the draft, Chloe Molloy, knocked back a us college basketball scholarship to switch back to football.

Nah, you have no idea.

The average aleague pay is not 17400 anyway and the overseas soccer players earn little more...which is besides the point you lacked the capacity to grasp - the professional environments they play in are far superior to the vast majority of women's club sport anywhere - probably only rivalled by the WNBA and the big dozen European soccer clubs that have belatedly jumped on board with women's soccer in the last couple of years. There's a reason that the best netballers flocked to Collingwood and the giants despite the same salary cap. This is why teenage girls are flocking to the academies around the country

Anyway, this is the reality...perhaps beyond the tragic minds that have been Enviscerated by the cultural cringe.

And "you're having a laugh"? Serious? It's comical the cultural cringers are still grasping at England for their cultural appropriations. That country is farked
you are having a laugh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLX for me over W, The Women's game needs time as right now it's pretty bad, Every game there will be at least 10 women out there who shouldn't be, But they're needed to make up the numbers, As soon as these women are phased out the better it will become.

Now that there is a clear pathway, girls will turn their attention to football earlier equalling skills and fitness.

AFLW is ok. Need time ,will develope into a good standard comp. AFLX will be a total load of garbage and only represents the tyrannically egotistical mindset of the frauds at AFL house.

AFLW and AFLX are interchangeable in a statement like that.

Unfortunately the AFLW will always be compared to the Men's comp; you're never going to get the same level of media interest or crowd draw, and having the tactics come over from the AFL side without the physical skills to break through the zoning means we're always likely going to have low scoring contested play - unless or until players capable of kicking 50m + become a lot more common.

What would potentially be interesting is having the AFLW teams and players, playing with the AFLX rules, as I think a smaller playing field and a point of difference to the Men's game might well do it some good.

I'm all in favour of the AFL pushing toward offering a Women's side to the competition; but as with all team sports, it will likely struggle to be a big draw without a point of difference - Tennis is the only sport that springs to mind where both Men's and Women's games draw strong crowds.

the AFL womans league is absolute nonsense, i'm all for supporting grassroots women's footy grow organically but the AFL cashing in on women by making up this s**t is the opposite of that.

AFLX is just pointless, i cringe and get goosebumps up my back when i think of it, like when you hear Justin Bieber's music

i don't even understand why people are saying they'll watch it before judging it, why do you need to see it before judging it? everything you need to know is out there in the open. the worst part about it will actually be watching it

To see whether it's entertaining or not?

for me we know too much about why it exists to care about whether it'd be entertaining, it's literally a different sport interrupting our footy pre-season. what's the best thing that could happen, some B grader scores a 65 meter goal from his own defensive square? isn't it nauseating to think how much money they'll make off idiots going to these games "just to see what it's all about"? where's that money gonna go, to the AFLW version of AFLX next preseason? to support clubs branching out into netball and basketball and all this nonsense?

Since Lethality is unfairly banned from here, where's the AFL-IR and AFL-M options? AFL-M is a dinosaur out there, AFL must be pleased about the buzz around AFL-W, AFL-IR and most importantly AFL-X. Exciting times ahead for those bored with AFL-M.

Other than its women playing, why do people watch AFLW over say VFL? Or even the local suburban league. Or is that the point-that its women playing (poorly)

Back