U18 Champs 2022 AFL National Championships #AFLWChamps

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Academy vs U23 All-Stars

AFLW ACADEMY VS U23 ALL-STARS​

The match will be played at the Swinburne Centre at 11.30am on Sunday 8th of May.

A live stream will be available at www.womens.afl/talent-pathway/academy

NAMESURNAMEDOBSTATETEAM / ACADEMY
J'NoemiANDERSON17-12-04NTSandringham Dragons / NT Thunder
BrookeBARWICK29-07-05TASTasmania Devils
CharlotteBASKARAN09-12-04VIC MWestern Jets
AbbygailBUSHBY29-07-04WASwan Districts
AmberCLARKE22-12-04VIC CDandenong Stingrays
GeorgieCLEAVER14-08-05WAEast Fremantle
FleurDAVIES06-05-04QLDSouthport / Gold Coast Suns
OctaviaDI DONATO23-02-04VIC CBendigo Pioneers
MackenzieEARDLEY13-01-04VIC CDandenong Stingrays
LauraELLIOTT27-10-04VIC MWestern Jets
JasmineFLEMING05-11-04VIC MOakleigh Chargers
AlanaGEE20-04-04QLDMackay Saints / Gold Coast Suns
ZarlieGOLDSWORTHY18-11-04NSW/ACTMurray Bushrangers
ShineahGOODY08-11-05SAWoodville-West Torrens
MontanaHAM29-03-04VIC MWestern Jets
CynthiaHAMILTON02-04-04NSW/ACTQueanbeyan / GWS Giants
ZaraHAMILTON14-10-04NSW/ACTMurray Bushrangers
BridieHIPWELL15-06-04VIC MSandringham Dragons
SofiaHURLEY30-01-04VIC MSandringham Dragons
KeeleyKUSTERMANN17-04-04SAWest Adelaide
DakotaMASON27-08-04NSW/ACTIllawarra / Sydney Swans
ClaireRANSOM21-02-04TASTasmania Devils
EllaROBERTS17-12-04WAPeel Thunder
PaigeSCOTT25-06-04VIC CGWV Rebels
EllaSMITH27-05-04QLDAspley / Brisbane Lions
LaurenWAKFER23-04-04WASouth Fremantle

U23 ALL-STARS TEAM (Victoria, Northern Territory, Tasmania)

NAMESURNAMEDOBTEAM/ACADEMY
MiaAUSTIN22-04-04Eastern Ranges
AbbeyBAILLIE-MCDONALD02-05-04Calder Cannons
CandiceBELBIN14-07-04Tasmania / North Melbourne
MiaBUSCH18-05-04Eastern Ranges
EmilyEVERIST17-07-04Bendigo Pioneers
TahliaFELLOWS28-11-99Casey Demons
MeghanGAFFNEY04-02-03Tasmania
DoreenaHANSEN13-03-01North Adelaide / NT- Alice Springs
SarahHOSKING24-01-03Dandenong / Williamstown
ChloeLEONARD01-02-02Geelong
MadelineMARKS26-02-03Bendigo / Western Bulldogs
GraceMATSER01-03-03Collingwood
SophiaMCCARTHY19-06-02Williamstown
CassieMCWILLIAM25-02-03Northern Territory / Williamstown
TahliaMEIER19-10-03GWV Rebels/ Western Bulldogs
PaigeSHEPPARD23-04-01Geelong
KeeleySKEPPER15-03-04Murray Bushrangers
TamaraSMITH06-05-00Geelong
Jamie LeeSPEAKMAN5-06-04GWV Rebels
ReeseSUTTON22-06-04Calder Cannons
CharlotteTAYLOR18-01-04Oakleigh Chargers
ElizaVALE01-10-01Western Bulldogs
RylieWILCOX12-03-04Northern Knights
HeidiWOODLEY17-11-04Calder Cannons

A STAR performance by Jasmine Fleming – daughter of former Australian cricketer Damien – has catapulted Vic Metro to a commanding 53-point win over Vic Country in the NAB AFLW Under-18 Championships.

Fleming's neat skills, strong running and agility was on show in her game-high 25 disposals, five clearances and five inside 50s, and she has been a standout for Oakleigh Chargers in her NAB League season this year.

Metro's midfielders – including Sofia Hurley (24, five clearances), Montana Ham (19) and Charlotte Baskaran (13 and 13 tackles) – helped dictate play and left Country scoreless until the third term.

Caitlin Sargent was strong overhead, while fellow forward Zoe Barbakos held sway at ground level, with the two Metro spearheads kicking three goals apiece.

Powerful Country key forward Paige Scott brought the crowd at Mars Stadium (Ballarat) to its feet with an almost-speckie, and was the one to break the team's drought in the third.

Teammates Mackenzie Eardley and Molly Walton battled hard in an under-the-pump defence, while Charley Ryan (14 disposals, three clearances) was her side's best in the midfield.

Country's Keeley Skepper finished with a game-high six rebound 50s to go with her 18 touches.

VIC COUNTRY 0.0 0.0 2.2 3.3 (21)
VIC METRO 3.3 8.5 11.6 11.8 (74)

GOALS
Vic Country:
Scott, Lyne, Mailer
Vic Metro: Sargent 3, Barbakos 3, Smith 2, Fleming, Ham, Hipwell

BEST
Vic Country:
Gatt, Ryan, Hay, Dowling, Williams, Everist
Vic Metro: Fleming, Sargent, Hurley, Barbakos, Wilcox, Ham

Scouting notes on the Champs game from yours truly, was a really interesting hitout despite the result, traditionally how Metro select their teams (Best 20 odd in the region as opposed to best functional team) worked out for them this time, no one really stiff to miss the squad but they had a good balance of different types of players, and the ability to rotate the likes of Hurley and Fleming out of the midfield for chunks of the game but maintain dominance is just insane. With Charley Ryan going down with what looks like a bad knee injury and some below par performances for Country, I wouldn't be shocked to see Olivia Robinson from Dandenong get a call up for their next two games, should've been in the initial squad!

Top 3 performers from eacdh side;
Country
#7 Jamie-Lee Speakman (GWV Rebels)
6/05/2004 | 162cm | Defender

The Rebels defender has been a surprise packet this year, having missed 2021 due to a long-term injury. Speakman has made a name for herself as a reliable interceptor in the backline, and that was no different against Metro. Despite finishing the game with nine disposals, it wouldn’t have surprised most viewers if she had numbers in 20s, such was her influence on the game. Speakman’s most eye catching moments were when she was flying for marks, able to consistently clunk them even when copping contact, and following up with really sound disposal – generally going for safer options that allowed her teammates to receive the ball in space and keep running. The absolute highlight of Speakman’s game came in the second term, where the ball was delivered high to a big pack in her defensive goal square, and she took the opportunity to get up on an opponent’s shoulders and hold onto the mark over the pack.

#17 Charley Ryan (Dandenong Stingrays)
9/02/2004 | 171cm | Midfielder

Arguably the cleanest of all Country players on the day, Ryan didn’t waste any of her 14 disposals, consistently picking out the best option each time she had it and looking to quickly move the ball forward. Ryan balanced her play with good inside and outside work, demonstrated with her ferocious approach to winning the ball and taking down opponents in close, but also her ability to hold space, get the ball when free and run her distance to deliver the ball further. Ryan was well on track to be Country’s best-on, but her day was unfortunately cut short in the fourth quarter after a heavy marking collision saw her come off with a knee injury.

#13 Taylah Gatt (Dandenong Stingrays)
1/11/2004 | 169cm | Wing

The winger somewhat burst onto the scene this year and has quickly become one of the best outside players in the NAB League, and transferred her good club level form into her Country performance. Gatt played a pretty classic game of hers, holding her space well and presenting as a wide option for her teammates, where she’d be able to go for damaging runs along the wing when used, usually taking one or two bounces on the way and kicking forward for teammates to run onto. Gatt arguably looked as solid at ground level as she has all year, rarely fumbling even when under pressure, making her near unbeatable when out in space.
Metro
#3 Rylie Wilcox (Northern Knights)
12/03/2004 | 158cm | Wing

Wilcox is one who had earned high praise coming into the season, even being compared to Carlton star Georgia Gee by Northern Knights staff, and she proved those comparisons correct against Country. Wilcox filled a role on the wing for majority of the game, and excelled with her speed, precise kicking and ability to hold her space to be arguably one of the most influential players on field. Wilcox’s ball use was supreme all day, rarely picking an option that wasn’t the best available to her, but also happy to run the ball the full distance she could – utilising her evasiveness when moving through traffic to open up more options further up the ground. Wilcox’s competitiveness was on display as she drifted across the ground to spoil marking attempts of players much taller than her, proceeding to beat opponents at ground level and quickly hit targets by hand or foot. A good point of difference in Wilcox’s game is her ability to spread well from the contests and present as a wide option at most times, working hard to get free and be the best option for teammates to use.

#8 Sofia Hurley (Sandringham Dragons)
30/01/2004 | 165cm | Midfielder

Hurley started the game in an almost perfect fashion, winning the first two centre clearances in similar fashion where she was able to break away from her opponent. On both occasions, she collected the loose ball and held her composure under pressure whilst moving towards the wing, then releasing the winger with a sharp handball and follow-up shepherd. Hurley spent the first half playing mostly through the midfield and continued to demonstrate her read of the game and ability to accumulate throughout, even hitting some impressive kicks under pressure and setting up promising scoring opportunities. Hurley was moved forward for the second half, seeing her numbers drop off, however she was still involved in some promising forward plays, unfortunately unable to hit the scoreboard despite her efforts.

#10 Jasmine Fleming (Oakleigh Chargers)
5/11/2004 | 165cm | Midfielder

It’s no surprise that a player of Fleming’s caliber led the game for disposals, racking up 25 in a truly faultless performance. Fleming was everywhere all game, winning clearances in the defensive 50, centre and forward 50, following up with her typically sound ball use by foot to clear the ball to teammates. Fleming’s work rate to get from contest-to-contest and link up in attacking chains at multiple stages stood out, often passing the ball off and then working hard to get it back on the run and deliver the ball forward. Fleming’s balance around the contest was impressive, making quick decisions as to whether she would go in and under to win the ball and pass it out by hand, or whether she’d hold out and be the next possession winner from the pack. That decision making and repeat effort saw her get on the scoreboard in the second quarter after an impressive one-two play close to goal.

and the ability to rotate the likes of Hurley and Fleming out of the midfield for chunks of the game but maintain dominance is just insane.
Do you know if the teams were planning to manage their midfields the way they did, or whether it just a result of the massive blowout? Hurley was at all the centre bounces in the first quarter, absolutely dominated them, then was only in one more that I counted the rest of the way (the last one). Metro played a lot more Coyne and Hart in the middle in the second half and Country moved Crank and Di Donato out for Clarke and Dowling.

Do you know if the teams were planning to manage their midfields the way they did, or whether it just a result of the massive blowout? Hurley was at all the centre bounces in the first quarter, absolutely dominated them, then was only in one more that I counted the rest of the way (the last one). Metro played a lot more Coyne and Hart in the middle in the second half and Country moved Crank and Di Donato out for Clarke and Dowling.
Was always planned from a Metro POV, managing such a strong midfield was going to be too tricky without a plan. With Hurley and Fleming playing more forward these past few games at NAB League I think it was the obvious move imo, however I was shocked that Coyne and Ham barely rotated, wouldve thought both would get stints forward but Coyne was essentially a winger or rover all day.

The move that was a bit if surprise was Hipwell to the backline, only found out at 3qtr time 😂

I'm finding out about the Hipwell move now. I thought she was just pushing up the ground on the coverage.
Can understand that, especially considering she hasn't played there at all before

Has Taylor played much forward before? I wasn't expecting her to line up there.
She's been playing more of it in NAB League the past few games, and once the Metro team was confirmed with the inclusions of Foran, Elliott and Woodford I feel it was a given she'd fill in for Metro there, but with Hipwell rolling down back we might see Taylor get played there to allow Foran to move forward again. I hope she gets a go down there as I think that's where she plays best and know that a few recruiters agree with that sentiment, looked a little lost at times up forward

She's been playing more of it in NAB League the past few games, and once the Metro team was confirmed with the inclusions of Foran, Elliott and Woodford I feel it was a given she'd fill in for Metro there, but with Hipwell rolling down back we might see Taylor get played there to allow Foran to move forward again. I hope she gets a go down there as I think that's where she plays best and know that a few recruiters agree with that sentiment, looked a little lost at times up forward
Not sure how many she ended up with, but I saw Taylor was tops at quarter time with 8 disposals. Probably how I noticed she was playing forward. Also, I didn't immediately recognise her, so had to check the team sheet to see who 25 was.

Not sure how many she ended up with, but I saw Taylor was tops at quarter time with 8 disposals. Probably how I noticed she was playing forward. Also, I didn't immediately recognise her, so had to check the team sheet to see who 25 was.
Ended up with 16 Disposals and 7 Inside 50's, looked better playing as a high half forward imo

Squads​

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 17.11.25.png Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 17.11.16.png Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 17.11.06.png Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 17.10.56.png Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 17.10.44.png Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 17.10.36.png Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 17.10.28.png

How to watch: All matches will be livestreamed free via womens.afl and the AFL Women's Live Official App.

2022 NAB AFLW Under-18 Championships Fixture​

DATERESULTS & MATCH REPORTSVENUE & TIMEREPLAY
Sun, Mar 20Vic Country 3.3 (21) def. Vic Metro 11.8 (74)Mars Stadium, BallaratLink
Sun, Apr 10South Australia 15. 10 (100) def. Western Australia 2.4 (16)Thebarton Oval, Adelaide, 10:30am
Sat, Apr 16Western Australia 5.5 (35) def. by WAFLW All Stars 7.5 (47)Revo Fitness Stadium, Claremont, 2pm
Sat, Apr 16South Australia 17.12 (114) def. Vic Country 3.4 (22)Adelaide Oval (AFL curtain raiser), 1:10pm
Mon, Apr 18NSW/ACT 7.3 (45) def. by Allies (NT/Tas) 13.7 (85)Blacktown International Sports Park, 12pm
Tue, Apr 19Queensland 4.4 (28) def. by Vic Metro 7.17 (59)Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast, 2pm
Fri, Apr 22Allies (NSW/ACT/NT/Tas) v Western AustraliaAvalon Airport Oval, Werribee, 10am
Fri, Apr 22Vic Metro v South AustraliaAvalon Airport Oval, Werribee, 12:15pm
Fri, Apr 22Vic Country v QueenslandAvalon Airport Oval, Werribee, 2:30pm
Sat, Apr 30Queensland v Allies (NSW/ACT/NT/Tas)Metricon #2, Gold Coast, 2pm

Last edited:
SA v WA this weekend going to be a fun watch naturally, will be interesting to see their results v each other and then against the other stats, last year it was a close game but then WA lost to Metro (also close) and SA lost to the Allies.

Think I'm most keen for Metro v WA, see if Roberts can take advantage of a relatively weak Metro defense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SA v WA this weekend going to be a fun watch naturally, will be interesting to see their results v each other and then against the other stats, last year it was a close game but then WA lost to Metro (also close) and SA lost to the Allies.

Think I'm most keen for Metro v WA, see if Roberts can take advantage of a relatively weak Metro defense
SA has zero chance of losing to the Allies and honestly it WA can get within five goals of SA it will be a good effort. Only real concern for SA is attack and that’s because they’re young/mids rotating forward. WA missing some as they’ve had a lot of recent COVID cases (and Reidy of course) whereas SA are at full strength bar Lauren Young of course.

Are you privy to the actual team?

I only know of two that aren’t playing
Should clarify in terms of "best of" from the start of the year (hence why I mentioned Young). Not only Reidy, but for example Aisha Wright pulling out of 18s (and we know she's not the only one). Even Ella only one game back from a long-term injury, you'd say they're a bit underdone if you like compared to the squad you would have picked six months ago. They'll give it a red hot crack, but SA just have more depth.

Are there teams available somewhere now? AFLW site still only had squads... :\
No no teams in the public eye Lore

One of my daughter dates one of the players 😁

SA vs WA – 10th April

Remove this Banner Ad

Back